Chris Costa leaves Magpul

Ballistic Tsunami Airsoft

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Costa leaving MagPul is news.

So is the fact i got laid last week, but i don't think i need to start a thread over it and tell everyone, just a status update that can fade into the background is all this needs, not a 2 page thread on him.

Seriously, it is a bloke leaving a company, it happens thousands of times a day.

Europe is ____ed is not news. Pick up a newspaper dated 9 (or 10) Nov 1911 or 1961 and you'll find the same things.

Kind of hard to do that, the Eurozone and Euro currency have only existed within the last 10 years :P

'FireKnife'

Who cares?

If you don't, why are you in this thread?

So is the fact i got laid last week, but i don't think i need to start a thread over it and tell everyone, just a status update that can fade into the background is all this needs, not a 2 page thread on him.

Seriously, it is a bloke leaving a company, it happens thousands of times a day.

Costa and Magpul have made significant waves in the shooting world, which does affect the airsoft world since airsoft is a direct emulation. Many people have a vested interest in what happens with companies and personalities in the shooting world. If you feel this has no affect on you, fine, you're free to ignore this thread.

But now I'm convinced you're just trolling.

He is trolling. It's what he does.

I think it's a pity, Costa and Haley have done a lot with magpul that's benefited RS shooters an awful lot. I like a lot of their products- I don't drink the cool aid but I love the CTR stock, the asap plate and the afg-2. Great designed bits of kit.

They helped "design" of many Magpul products. They aren't the designers/engineers. People forget there are trade professionals who design ALL of the products that "Gun Celebrities" claim to have designed. It takes considerable skill and talent to make the words of a shooter turn from idea into actual product.

And I still don't get the over priced bit. Most RS parts, Magpul stuff is on the lower end if the not the cheapest of the particular parts. CTR stock compare to VLTOR stock or LMT's stock is less, and if you go with the MOE version its even less. Heck in US PTS CTR stock is the same price as the RS ones. RVG is way less than the Tangodown ones....MBUS and whatnot are also less than the Troy or MI equivalent.....

Anyway, trolling aside...

I hope Haley Strategic and Costa Ludus have solid backup in terms of prototyping and manufacturing facilities. I think Roecar is right, these guys obviously have a talent for designing original, high-performance bits of equipment and they'll need the CAD designers, CNC operators etc to turn their concepts in to real products.

I'm sure they won't have quite as much financial grunt as Magpul Industries but I'm sure they're not short of a bob or two.

tbf it happens so little that he HAS to tell everyone :P

Be interesting to see who the next RS Shooting celebrity will be. The problem with the 'fad' culture in the US RS shooting community is that even when the ideas are top notch, once it stops being new/loses it's figurehead etc, it quickly becomes old news, and something new will take it's place.

Chris, Travis and several others have given input to the development of Magpul products over the years, however I'm not aware of a single Magpul product that originated from them. The AFG for example was conceived by Richard Fitzpatrick, president of Magpul Industries.

Now that Chris and Travis are free pursue their own paths and form their own affiliations without concern for company politics, I'm sure we'll see more collaborations between them and other companies in the future.

As for why this is in Off Topic, while this information is interesting news to many airsofters, it doesn't have anything to do directly with airsoft products or the sales of such products. Which is what the Airsoft News forum is specifically for.

And yes, this topic can do with less trolling. If you find this topic has no bearing to yourself why even bother chiming in at all? I'm pretty sure there are forum rules against trolling especially the blatant behavior we're seeing here.

Anyway, trolling aside...

I hope Haley Strategic and Costa Ludus have solid backup in terms of prototyping and manufacturing facilities. I think Roecar is right, these guys obviously have a talent for designing original, high-performance bits of equipment and they'll need the CAD designers, CNC operators etc to turn their concepts in to real products.

I'm sure they won't have quite as much financial grunt as Magpul Industries but I'm sure they're not short of a bob or two.

I don't think they necessarily have to branch into accessory stuff. They did in Magpul since that's where Magpul started, they(Magpul) started the "Dynamic" business as a side gig. I think Costa and Haley were brought in as Consultants for their primary accessory market first, but their main role after was in the training thing. From what it look like both are these guys are more concentrated on the training stuff first. If they get back into accessory I can see them do it like Vicker and associate themselves with another OEM, instead of making their own stuff...

HSP does already have a training schedule up true, though there is also a specific paragraph on the site about products. Whether they'd go through DD/VLTOR/whoever, no idea, though I hope you're right and either one or both does hook up with a company like HSGI or BFG to make more gear and MOLLE pouches, as well as weapons accessories.

I don't think they necessarily have to branch into accessory stuff. They did in Magpul since that's where Magpul started, they(Magpul) started the "Dynamic" business as a side gig. I think Costa and Haley were brought in as Consultants for their primary accessory market first, but their main role after was in the training thing. From what it look like both are these guys are more concentrated on the training stuff first. If they get back into accessory I can see them do it like Vicker and associate themselves with another OEM, instead of making their own stuff...

Chris was brought on first to start up the training division as an employee, and then Travis' training company was bought with the intention of expanding the training regime. For about 3+ years it was mainly just the two of them teaching and then they started increasing their instructors due to demand. The consulting on Magpul products happened after they were hired to teach. It should also be noted that while they do use Magpul products, in every class I have attended of theirs they are quick to explain that you should give them a try and if it doesn't work for your needs ditch it. Neither Chris nor Travis used AFGs near the end of their tenure at Magpul. They may or may not associate themselves with another OEM, but I do know that it was a huge sticking point for the instructors to be told by higher ups to not use products by manufacturer X because of politics. I can see affiliations in their future, but I'd be surprised to see exclusive affiliations given their past experiences.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived