Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to start a flame war here but I have had literally every type of airsoft toy.

I have tried every kind of loadout with every kind of secondary.

I have decided without emotion and prejudice what type of airsoft I will play.

It boils down to this:  If you want to be effective on an airsoft field you need consistency and ROF.

You need to be able to fire a burst of between 4 and 6 rounds that leave the barrel as closely as possible.  Note that I am definitively not endorsing high ROF full auto hicap spam.  I hate that and I use midcaps at all times.

What I am saying is that there are a lot of reasons to have a bad day at airsoft, if you don't want the main reason to be your equipment then you need consistency and ROF.

AEGs have better shot to shot consistency than GBB - fact.

P* has equal or better consistency compared to AEG - fact.

If you tune an AEG to 60rps at 350fps it will die.  The time of that death will be dependant on the quality of the parts and the skill of the builder but it will die.

It will die while you are firing i.e. at the worst possible time and not only will you game be over but unless you carry a bloody big tool kit and a bunch of spares your day will be too.

Using the AEG on single shot (required by some [*suitcasey*] sites) will advance the death of your gearbox, AEGs hate single shot.

Electropneumatic gearbox replacements like the P* have as few as one moving parts, they love single shot, they love bursts, they are configurable on the fly.

A cursory inspection of the orings will prevent mid-game failure.

They just keep on trucking.

By every measurable metric the P* and its cousins are superior.

Downsides:

Logistics, not everyone has access to SCUBA cylinders - I do.

Cost, not everyone wants to or is able to spend the money - I do and I am.  Although I should point out that my Ultra-high ROF M4 cost more to build than my P* and had much higher maintenance costs.

Recoil, there is none - That is not a downside, recoil hampers your aim.  Real firearms manufacturers try constantly to reduce it.

Noise, there is none - see above.

Not using P* is your choice, a choice like all choices in life that you are fully entitled to make.

As long as it doesn't hurt others I will defend your right to make choices like that with my life if required.

However, once you have made the choice to use a technically inferior weapon system because you find it to be more fun you cannot then tell people it is empirically better.

I have been playing airsoft longer than most of my opponents have been alive - 26 years - and I have sold or given away all of my other guns. I only use Polarstar.

It's like anything though. There's the most logical, sensible, efficient way to do something but it generally has no soul or character. Look at lots of new build houses...Same with cars. We could all be driving the same aerodynamically styled electric cars but where's the fun in that. Fair play if you want to take the most efficient approach but if it's not for your job or at a competition level, I am not in to it.

Not using P* is your choice, a choice like all choices in life that you are fully entitled to make.

As long as it doesn't hurt others I will defend your right to make choices like that with my life if required.

It's like anything though. There's the most logical, sensible, efficient way to do something but it generally has no soul or character. Look at lots of new build houses...Same with cars. We could all be driving the same aerodynamically styled electric cars but where's the fun in that. Fair play if you want to take the most efficient approach but if it's not for your job or at a competition level, I am not in to it.

I suppose it is at least down to my ASD but there is also the cumulative frustration of over 2 decades of sub standard airsoft *suitcase*.

My youthful exuberance convincing me that things like the Derp Fire LAW 66 would be a useful thing or that using a shotgun that ejects £5 shells as a primary is a good idea.

I'm tired of *suitcase* not working like it is supposed to.

I know what you mean about soul and character but Alfa Romeos have a lot of that and I had one that literally never worked properly.

I live in a house full of character and asbestos with no cavity insulation or proper foundations but loads of soul.

I don't think the P* is soulless, I think it has a soul that is difficult to see without using one.

It has a soul like the Nissan GTR.  It is so crushingly competent that you know that you as the operator are the weak link, the only way you can work better together is if you get better.

It's not Ayrton Senna, it's Mika Hakkinen, Ayrton is awesome but it is still cool to be Mika.

The thing that seals it for me is the look of grief when people I have loaned the P* to are required to give it back.

My only gripe with the P* system is that it makes it very, very easy to abuse power and RoF (remember that asshat who boasted in here about firing .40g bbs at 400fps @40rps?) because it's so easy to manipulate.

Like you said, stunt, a 350fps @ 60rps set up is doable with an AEG, but it requires a lot of skill to set it up and have it work reliably. With a P* its a matter of having the right nozzle and pressing a few buttons.

Also they do eat quite a lot of air. My DSGs will last about 8000-10000 cycles on a BFO 11.1v 4800mAh brick that fits into a full stock. All the P* engines I've seen have done about 4000ish cycles on a 2l bottle.

Not a complete killer, but it does mean that you have different play options unless you can afford to carry a lot of tanks around.

Personally, I play in semi auto almost exclusively, but I prefer to have a higher RoF (30rps ish) to maintain the fastest trigger response in semi, with the added bonus of being able to convince zombies to take a hit more effectively with a short burst.

Yeah, the easy cheating on a P* is annoying.

There is a hole in the regulator that allows a cable tie to be placed in there to prevent on the field adjustments.

If the site owner is au fait with that then the only remaining issue is fps creep from chronoing with light bbs and then playing with heavy ones.

Again that is down to marshalling, cheaters will cheat.

I get a bit more efficiency than that, it is all down to the tune and the fact that I rarely (if ever) go full auto.  My selector is set to 0-1-5.

10,000 rounds is more than 5 game days for me.

Depending on how 'target rich' a game site is and how many cheaters I have to hose down (Woo Hong Kong), I usually get through about 4-5K bbs a day.

Even on Semi I find myself providing fire support because no one likes to actually move.

I am on the same mindset as Stunt with regards to P*s.. I don't abuse the system and know to keep within limits etc. I agree high ROF is stupid and I have 0-1-3 on my fire selector at roughly 22RPS.

Unfortunately there are so many people that abuse the system and give all other users a bad name.. It only takes a few unfortunately!

Nowadays I only use P*. Though I will get a Daytona Gun in the next few months!! But for ease of use and knowing that it'll do what I want, when I want and needs little to no maintenance is such a huge pro for me!!

I don't want to start a flame war here but [...] By every measurable metric the P* and its cousins are superior. [...]

However, once you have made the choice to use a technically inferior weapon system because you find it to be more fun you cannot then tell people it is empirically better.

For someone trying not to start a flame war, you are being pointlessly provocative. For many - perhaps even most - airsofters, airsoft is not about winning, and I for one am very glad about that. I play airsoft to have fun, and find people that talk about choosing platforms based on their ability to shoot 5-rd bursts in less than a one tenth of a second tiresome and boring. Suggesting that the superior way to play airsoft is to have the best gun is frankly embarrassing.

Also, while I don't use the phrase 'empirically better', I think you definitely need to use caution before throwing the phrase 'technically inferior' around. A Polar* may be a great BB-slinging device, but it's pretty terrible at imitating a real gun, which is much more important to me (and a lot of other airsofters) than ultimate efficiency. Polar*s' complete lack of feedback and interaction - no recoil, no noise, no bolt-lock, no stop-on-empty - are major black marks against them even before you get to the it-has-to-be-connected-to-a-hose elephant in the room. Recoil Shocks, as well as being markedly cheaper than Polar*s, have all of these things and don't need to be plugged into their owner like some sort of weaponised dialysis machine.

Like the others have said, if I wanted the most efficient and advantageous way to play, I would undoubtedly have a Polar*'d MP7 or P90 or similar - something light and compact, with high-capacity mid-cap magazines. Instead, I aspire to guns that are fun to play with, and cast no aspersions about which is best, as if such a thing could conceivably be determined anyway.

Today's discovery in one of the company loos: a note saying "After *suitcasing*, please use the *crumpet* brush" (uncensored, of course). Printed in red on an A3-sized sheet.

Cracked me up, despite the fact that it's Monday morning and I have a nasty case of food poisoning.

I like the concept of P* barring the external tank. Have seen some stocks that act as tanks though (reminding me of the Logun S16 air rifle which I always wanted, so much cooler than my old rifle) and they don't look too bad.

However if someone developed a HPA powered 249 with recoil and a magazine of a couple hundred rounds whilst fitting the tank in the mag I'd be all over it.

Definitely more exciting we like different things though. Might ask the Grange if I can have a play with a P* system though.

I didn't realise they gave recoil (I'm new to GBBR and even newer to HPA).

Its a possibility. Still dislike the idea of external tanks personally as I like my kit set up as milspec (despite the fact that I, the primary part of any kit am a fat knacker with a *fruitcage*ed ankle) or close to.

Thanks for sharing though, I take it like most HPA it makes it more reliable? Which for a support weapon would be useful.

Daytona Gun give recoil.. Supposedly the most recoil available in Airsoft but that's always a sore spot for some and up for debate..

The Daytona Gun AR15s use WA (and recently WE too) GBBR spec externals with the internals replaced with the HPA system..

Yeah they're pretty damn reliable but only with good maintenance.. They've got a big break in period too which is like 10-15k rounds.. They sound with it mind you, I've not had the luxury of trying one yet though!

It's as close as you'll get for a GBBR SAW though, other than that GHK RPK with the DIY hicap I read about somewhere!

Only thing with the DTG kits is that looooong hop-up rubber and nozzle assembly. Leads to that enormous break-in period, in which (and I quote the manufacturer) "fliers and chopping of bbs may occur. This is normal while the bucking is breaking in."

Nope.

I always let my P90 down. It was brilliant, I was not. It took pity on me even when I bought other guns. It showed me kindness when I rubbed in its face how boss x,y and z guns are. It was always reliable (except when semi went but, as others have pointed out, aeg's hate semi) and with maruis pixie dust, it could get great range. Decent rof too.

I miss you P90, you rocked.

Oh by the way, I just decided to get my 6th tm P90.

Hail to the king, baby.

Archived