Blog: Magpul PTS announces the PDR AEG

talon_0315

how about one of those ares or similar 60 rounder type mags? king arms and classic army both may VN style mid caps. the CA are 110 rounders and are sold individually and the KA are 85 rounders that are sold in boxes of 5.

ill just be using the stacks of MAG mids i have.

for me, id run it with just BUIS, a torch and an AAC DQ FH/suppressor set. that way i can stash it in my back pack when i need to.

ill probably be drilling holes and mounting a rail to the lower receiver just above the forgrip to mount that flashlight.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what it is but something makes me want to get one of these and just take it on extreme ways to entre an airsoft field, like via a zipline or after parachuting out of a plane.

It just looks nice and compact while keeping the M4 mags option and that to me seems perfect for a light loadout (thinking like something out of The Expendables) and fun ways to deploy it.

'FireKnife'

Numbers speak greater than words.

True, but to me there is a very real risk of this under performing long term in its current form. In all honesty I expect the pre-orders to bring in enough numbers to cover the project as is, but with a few small changes it could become almost as ubiquitous as say the AK or G36, to the point were everyone considers it an option, rather than just magpul fans.

It seems like they're applying the reel steel philosophy as the be all and end all without considering the needs and requirements specific to airsoft, EG the safety, not an issue on the real one, just leave the chamber empty, but an AEG doesn't have that option, I can see a few ways to add in an electrical safety after the fact to eliminate messing about trying to unclip the battery housing every time you go back into the safe zone, locking it to semi auto is probably only a set screw or a rewire away if you can live with disabling full auto or its a requirement, a loop of paracord strung the right way will keep the gun from rolling over when its slung, but that little hole is the perfect place to put a flush fitting pass through QD bushing wich would give the best of both worlds.

More than anything its annoying how small the changes are that would take this from 'magpul made a gun for airsoft' to 'magpul made the best gun possible for airsoft'. Well actually no, more than anything, I hope they sell well enough they're still making them when I can afford one...

Either way the sad fact is this, you can project numbers around all you want but until it actually pops up in a store and bought we will never exactly know and even then we only know based on the version they have released.

If they put out both, one as is but for lets say $25 less and then one with a safety, the grip extension to take a bigger battery and the sling mount option they would be able to see what sells and discontinue the other one.

If they just put it out as is and hope for the best then this to me feels like the same issue as the KWA Kriss not taking Glock 9mm mags, it is a missed opportunity to potentially increases sales numbers.

As for me buying one, depends on price and performance, if it works within its price range great, but if it ends up like a VFC and looks nice while doesn't give you what you want from it shooting wise then I would look elsewhere.

'FireKnife'

A lot of good points here, in my view right now this is a sub par solution with so much potential. I could not care less if soldiers are soo elite they don't need a safety. I need a gun i can sett to safe and i need a single only option(most important). Further a sling would be nice. I believe i can fix all that with a lot of extra work. However i would never recommend this gun to any of my friends, because out of the box it is weak at best.

It is in my eyes a super CQB platform that does not work for CQB. The only real selling point is its cool looking, its is unusual and its true to the real weapon never finished. Most of the selling points except true to the real version is still valid with the much needed upgrades mentioned in this thread.

Imagine this weapon with a CQB platform that had a proper sling; a selector that had three settings; safe, single and single/fullauto; Not propitiatory gearbox; M4 mags and all the other goodies magpul offers. It could potentially beat the M4 in sales.

If you want the best CQB-gun, just get a MP5k, since theres metal ones out of box aviable anyone should be happy... Anything else overall is "worse for cqb"

If GBBs are your thing, theres even more valid options.

This gun is kinda like the Tavor. Theres tools for the job but that one is different, why? Because it just is and thats that.

Just like the Tavor, this makes some compromises, if someone cant live with em, dont buy the gun or modify it.

Most ppl want to somehow "stand out" with the gun they have. Ironicly most try it with an AR15... And whats more ironic, my down-to-basics M4A1 allways gathers the crowd for being nothing special to look at :D

Anyway, no solid date set for this thing? I'd hate to get stuck on xmas-traffic.

That's a ridiculous assertion.

But then again, this is a ridiculous argument. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you feel like you can't recommend it to your friends, don't! It's not like there's a shortage of airsoft guns out there.

No, I think people have every right to speak their mind in the thread - It helps brings issues or strengths to the forefront, and can reach a lot more people.

The AFV has both a safety and a selector with the same bullpup layout and magazine compatibility which makes it the better option OOTB to my mind, just a lower rating on the Gucci scale. The weight of a replica L85 with a greatly shortened barrel I can live with.

The issues I have with the PDR wouldn't stop me getting one, it's just preferable to have certain things addressed at manufacturer rather than having to try and mcguyver solutions yourself. After the troubles I've got with both my FPG and ACR my patience is starting to wear a little thin with the complete weapons from PTS.

Isn't there a little plate with the serial number in front of the trigger guard that slides forward and backward that locks/unlocks the trigger?

Indeed, It is very low profile. the same method could be used with the PDR, but that is too late now I guess.

You know you play airsoft too much when you can get into a philosophical argument over a new gun... lol

Yeah but playing airsoft is soooo much more than simply the guns.... I'm not too fussed about any of these issues discussed, I'm determined to get a PDR cos 'I want one'...... ok?

Archived