ANA commercial. Racist?

hitmanNo2

So I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on this from our Japanese members. I can't see why there is such a massive furore over it but am am told there is context I am missing.  Could anyone please explain.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/01/20/national/ana-to-modify-commercial-after-accusations-of-racial-stereotyping/#.Ut6Y9rRFCUk

I was slightly confused for a second as I couldn't see any good reason for the Afghan National Army to be advertising in Japan, and even less for them to be racist.

As it is, I think it's just a storm in a teacup. Some people always feel the need to be offended, and to be very vocal about how offended they are.

But even so, it's probably the worst Owen Wilson impression I've ever seen.....

Exactly, it's the same in the UK; Guardian readers getting offended on behalf of other people who probably don't care either way.

Personally, I'm offended on behalf of Owen Wilson, his family, friends, and the bloke who was his gym teacher when he was at school.

Erm, I didn't see blackface, the BNP logo, UKIP or the Daily Mail so it clearly isn't us being racist :P.

I am not really sure how this classes as racist or are they trying to imply that all Westerners have big noses and blond / blonde hair?

If so I find that neither hilarious nor offensive in anyway, if context is given then fine but as it stands I just don't get it?

But maybe today is the day for disturbing adverts, just saw this myself:

http://dailycontributor.com/in-belgium-organ-donation-could-get-you-laid/5052/

'FireKnife'

No, they are saying let's change the image of Japanese people - the normally reserved and austere people would never wear a stupid costume like this - and now I am.

They even refer to it in the ad - do you want a hug? - blank look - such a Japanese reaction.

Bah!

No, they are saying let's change the image of Japanese people - the normally reserved and austere people would never wear a stupid costume like this - and now I am.

They even refer to it in the ad - do you want a hug? - blank look - such a Japanese reaction.

Bah!

This.

Afraid the professional offence takers (and internet amateurs) will have to find something else to moan about.

Certainly does show how perception is everything though! Bit like this whole football dude getting a telling off.

I think stereotyping is just a no-no when it comes to commercials. If you use a stereotype to represent a nation ofcom will be all over you, especially if it comes across in a negative way. It's what I call the Judge Dedd approach; no stereotyping of any kind equals fairness for all (or some other ).

Regarding Anelka (the footballer), he made a gesture that a comedian in France has been seen doing. The comedian is very negative towards Jews and has even invited people onto stage, who don't believe the holocaust happened. There is more to it than just a silly salute. I believe it's sick to make jokes about the holocaust but that's just me. I wouldn't say people should go to jail over it, maybe just a fine.

To me this just feels like a case of both people getting on high horses about nothing and about an advert that pokes fun at us all rather than being specific.

If you are willing to spot your own flaws while pointing out someone elses that is fine, to simply point at someone and brand them a steretype is just wrong.

This advert is doing the former, bit like the 'Dirty Harry' approach.

'FireKnife'

I can't see the issue here, they're basicly making fun of a stereotype of themselves. As for making them look western, what a load of *badger*s. Simply wearing a joke nose and wig makes them look no more western than me putting on an Afro wig makes me look black, it's just them trying to break down the stereotype that Japanese people have no sense of humour

Also I notice this in that article

"Earlier, an ANA spokeswoman said the carrier “has received calls from customers, mostly foreigners, complaining about the ad.” So basicly it's people getting offended on behalf of others

Would it be considered racist if BA made an ad taking the out of British people drinking tea and wearing bowler hats?

Would it be considered racist if BA made an ad taking the ###### out of British people drinking tea and wearing bowler hats?

I so want to see that, especially using the American stereotype that exists for us. You know the whole 'we all drink tea, have bad teeth and are best buds with the Queen'. :P

'FireKnife'

Any stereotype, symbol or gesture can only ever have the power that perception attributes to it.

I happen to believe that the media encourages people to seek offence (gets ratings, and people discussing events... Like this...), and it's getting to silly levels. The Anelka (cheers for the name - I don't do football) thing being an example. He has clearly stated that it is not Anti Jewish. He's explained its meaning and use to him, and by him. To be fair... That could all be a nonsense as far as I know, and he could be a raging nazi. But my point being that somethings meaning to him, is quite obviously different to that of the majority viewing him. Perception.

No one accuses Hindus of fascism, and their temples have swastikers (sp?) bloody everywhere! The symbol has an entirely different association (a simplistic argument I know, but hey, it's an internet forum).

I really wish we could lose this culture of butthurtness we seem to have globally decided is cool.

I'm confused - is this video supposed to be racist against Japanese people or racist against white people? 

re: swastika the hindu one is slightly different to the nazi one - the latter being rotated somewhat.

semi related: http://www.naturalsearchblog.com/archives/2007/09/26/google-maps-forces-navy-to-redesign-swastika-building/

Regardless, I don't see racism. Perhaps if they said, "Lets look like *dampsuitcase* Westerners har har har" but they don't actually denote anything as being "bad', just different from the Japanese standard.

yeah again its quite a different kettle of fish to say blacking up or something. There isn't, afaik, a culture of Japanese-Caucasian racism like there is say Japanese-Asian racism.

I looked again at this and they're claiming it is racist to westerners. Supposedly westerners in Japan have big noses, blue eyes and blonde hair...If you're offended by this you should probably do the world a favour and jump off a bridge.

I looked again at this and they're claiming it is racist to westerners. Supposedly westerners in Japan have big noses, blue eyes and blonde hair...If you're offended by this you should probably do the world a favour and jump off a bridge.

Erm, I love how the supposed 'offence' is that we are the opposite to them.

Oh no, because that is such a bold statement to make, that people might actually not all be exactly the same down to every single detail!

Seriously some people just need to grow up and not assume that everything is racist and offensive when someone claims someone is different. Yes everything the EDL says is racist but that is because they are a racist party. A group of Japanese people having a little fun about how they and Westerners are perceived by their own countries culture, give me a break.

'FireKnife'

Archived