would you buy and armalite if...  

192 members have voted

1. 1. would you buy and armalite if...

• America didn't use them as a primary asualt rifle
    • Everyone didnt have one
    • Some other country ued then as a primary asualt rifle
    • They looked better
    • They were more comfortable to use
    • I already did buy an armalite (please state why)

Robot 2000, you got somethin to say about the US Military? :waggle: JK, I 'm not such a big fan either :P Let's not go there... but on to the armalites, you are absolutely right.

Ugly, common, over-hyped and the real versions suck. But unfortunately if you live in the US and you use Airsoft to train for a future law enforcement (like me, I wanna be a cop) or military service, the armalites will get you used to the feel of what you'll be using. Sadly as far as law enforcement goes, the same is true of the OTHER ugliest pile out there... the Glock, of course.

Aaron

<_<

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got one because I like the AR-15 style of rifle. I have handled ALOT of AEGs, and none have felt so... good. I especially like the fire selector and iron sights, and the ability to put a sight on the gun without needing a picatinny rail installed (with the M4/M16a3 at least) like other guns.

It also looks the *beep*!

1) They're ugly

2) They're part of the ###### hype that surrounds the US armed forces

3) Everyone has one

4) They suck in real life

1) Not so... it's all about tastes. You like the FAMAS where I don't.

2) Do shut up! :)

3) So? I mean really. That means they're good. There are far more HK users out there than AR-15 users, but does that matter. Use what YOU want to use and not consider yourself a sheep.

4) Do they? No. The older ones suck, but they're a GOOD gun now.

Not to bash them, I know they're functional, but I think the XM8 is hidious. Just a personal oppinion. I know a lot of people like them. It does make sense as a combat rifle, but what is up with the US army dismissing the concept of iron sights? I mean have we really gone THAT video game? Seriously. It's a sad time for traditional shooters. I love iron sights. Although the M16's aren't really something to brag about.

Aaron

I got one because I like the AR-15 style of rifle. I have handled ALOT of AEGs, and none have felt so... good. I especially like the fire selector and iron sights, and the ability to put a sight on the gun without needing a picatinny rail installed (with the M4/M16a3 at least) like other guns.

Indeed, that's a really good reason for owning an AR-15.

2) Do shut up! :)

But he's right about the US Army hype...

3) So? I mean really. That means they're good. There are far more HK users out there than AR-15 users, but does that matter. Use what YOU want to use and not consider yourself a sheep.

In Airsoft? I don't think so. First place are all variants of the AR-15, second H&K MP5, G36 and G3.

4) Do they? No. The older ones suck, but they're a GOOD gun now.

Ermm... no :). They're still not working properly compared to other guns. The direct gas operation is ######, as long as they don't replace it with a gas-piston the AR15 will never be a good gun.

It does make sense as a combat rifle, but what is up with the US army dismissing the concept of iron sights?

The XM8 has Flip-Up Irons. Rear sight is integrated in the carry handle, front sight is mounted on the gas-piston and folds down into the handguard.

But I don't think they are neccessary. Even your Marine Corps don't think so, the most Marines just have their ACOG TA31 mounted on the M16A4, no Iron sights. The Americans take this Iron sight topic far to serious, no other military worries about that.

Last time I checked the XM8 had flip up iron sights?

It has :)

Nope not iron sights oh and about everyone using them. It also means companies think they'll make more money if they make accesories for a popular gun so we have every accesiry imaginable. Including a toaster.

I agree with you about the AR15 accessorie hype, a lot of them are nonsense. Nobody I know has ever had to use the BUIS of an AR15, but they all possess one.

fair enough, if you like the ergonomics of it I'm not going to argue. This and most of the other stuff is pretty much subjective though ;).

As for the not working properly in RS thing, this is an airsoft forum so it's not really relevant :). I just added it because it's one more reason that I dislike them so much ;)

I love people calling the American military "over-hyped".

Whew! Thank you armchair military experts! What would we ever do without your guidance?

Now, regarding the poll.

I have an armalite because...

1) I have a "different" gun. (Thompson). I realized that practical > being different, for me.

2) G&P's are a great deal for what you get.

3) Metal makes me hot.

4) Fair amount of practical accessories. (Helloooo EOTech 552)

5) Going for a PMC look, and I dislike MP5s.

Not another bash Armalite thread!

Everyone has different tastes in their guns. Lots of people like M4s or M16s, but just because alot of people like something, it does not mean that that thing sucks. It is often the case that many people like things that suck (just look at the Backstreet Boys), but being liked by many people is not the cause of it's suckiness. Sure, lots of airsofters want a different look, and there are lots of airsofters who thought Black Hawk Down was the cat's @ss and want to emulate that. Thats cool with me. I aint gonna knock anyone for that.

So, Armalite lovers/haters, come together!

At the end of the day, we are using the same cleverly engineered pieces of Japanese plastic and aluminum, regardless of the shape they happen to be in. Can't we all just get along!

Anyway, time to get serious. For a long time I did not like armalites. Everyone had one, there was the whole US Armed Forces stigma (funny no one hesitates using an AK) and like everyone else, I wanted to be different. I had an MP5, AK, M3 super 90, and VSR. None of them were really ME (I still love my AK). I was eagerly anticipating the Marui M14, thinking that THIS would be MY gun. But, while at a friend's house I got my hands on a heavily modified M4 with a sweet aluminum rail system. He built it but never used it , as it was kind of heavy, but it was PERFECT for me. I bought it right there, and it's been my primary ever since.

So, in defence of all us Armalite clones, I would like to say this. Just about everyone and their sister seems to have an Armalite, BUT due to their customizability, no two ever tend to be the same (at least in Japan).

Ok this post is finished, sorry for being so long winded and not making sense, i just got home from work and am bushed.

PS been away from Arnies for a bit, been busy.

I leave for Vietnam on Wednesday, see you all again in September!

Romanowski

Voted if they were more comfatable to use.

I used to use an m16 a2, and then I changed for a g36. My first gripe was the pistol grip. Aside from the irritating lump to grasp your fingers around, it has a grid cut into it, even when I use thick leather gloves, still get on my nerves. The same goes for the stock. The fact that the fire selector switch also gets on my nerves. I also can't stand the iron sights.

I am not an armalite hater, i just dont like the fact that everyone has one. I love the feel, and the looks. I have to admit it i am seriously considering buyind a ca M15A4 CQB because its so comfortable and easy to use. The only down side is that everyone has one. I just started this thread to see everyones oppionion come together in one place. Oh i did once own a tm armalite an m4 but the barel wobble was un bareable, and i was a noob and didnt know how to fis itso i got rid of it. So lets play nice and not accuse anyone of being a armalite hater unless they say it. Come to think of it i might have to change my sig. <_<

Indeed, that's a really good reason for owning an AR-15.

Is that a sarcastic comment? Apologies if it's not.

I honestly love the AR-15 design. Maybe not the solid stock full rifles due to their immense size of stock and barrel.

The M4 is the perfect package for me. Not too long, not too short. Iron sights work fine for me if the eotech fails or gets damaged (god I hope the latter doesn't become true). The Fire selector quick and easy to manipulate so I can go from "safe" to "hell yeah" with the flick of my thumb. The magazine release is perfectly placed and makes mag changes a dream. The M4 RIS is so damned modular it hurts. Not that I'd "rape" it by putting every accessory on it, but it's nice to have the ability to throw a surefire on there should the op require it.

Also, I know quite a lot of people who would like to challenge your "M4's aren't good rifles" statement... people who actually need to, y'know, depend on the damned gun or die.

edit: I think we should all call a truce. Let's all remove the ###### from our signatures. I'm talking "friends don't let friends use armalites/flecktarn" etc. That ###### is immature and just sad.

Basically, I have personally never felt so happy as I do with My ICS m4.

However, the reason I actually went and got an M4 was for the multiples of movie loadout it helps me achieve. Black Hawk Down, SWAT, Bad Boys 2, Stargate....the list goes on.

Basically, its built like a tank and I *fruitcage* love it.

Is that a sarcastic comment? Apologies if it's not.

I honestly love the AR-15 design. Maybe not the solid stock full rifles due to their immense size of stock and barrel.

No it wasn't sarcastic, I fully agree with you about the ergonomics of the AR design. It's the best when it comes down to ergonomics... well at least it's the best with a few upgrades like a more comfortable pistol grip :)

I really don't have anything against the AR-15 as a weapon. Currently airsoft is small enough that most teams out there do the US impressions. As it grows, we're seeing more and more teams for different niches. There's a German airborne crew in SoCal and a few Soviet/Russian teams. As the variety of teams grows, we'll hopefully see the Armalite assume its proper place as one weapon among many rather than the dominant type.

What will also help, will be the production of more modern battle rifles from around the world. As it stands now, there's no decent production modern AKs or SA80s. Where's the Sig 550 or G3A3?

As to the availability of accessories, that's a very valid argument for owning an Armalite. As use of other guns in non-American-based teams grows, we may be lucky enough to see more accessories for the other guns. Or we could simply live with the idea that an AK-74 will fire at the enemy just as effectively without 5 pounds of junk tacked on to rails.

edit: I think we should all call a truce. Let's all remove the ###### from our signatures. I'm talking "friends don't let friends use armalites/flecktarn" etc. That ###### is immature and just sad.

Alright ill do that i just gotta think of a better sig. <_<

Im not that creative :(

Archived