would you buy and armalite if...  

192 members have voted

1. 1. would you buy and armalite if...

• America didn't use them as a primary asualt rifle
    • Everyone didnt have one
    • Some other country ued then as a primary asualt rifle
    • They looked better
    • They were more comfortable to use
    • I already did buy an armalite (please state why)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M14 is a really long rifle, been round since WWII (I believe its 7.62 on r/s?)

M15 is Classic Army's name, its not a r/s gun name, but they are all m16 varients with m15 instead of m16 as a name. (confused?)

M16 is the longer version, it is either an m16 a2/a3 (fixed carry handle) and a m16 a4 has a removable carry handle.

an M4 is an m16 with a shortened front end for CQB and ###### like that. It has a full stock

an M4a1 is the same as an M4 but with a retractible stock. I believe they all have a removable carry handle(?)

An m733 is basically an m4 with the barrel chopped off to the front site tower.

This info maybe wrong/needs correcting? Im pretty sure this is correct...

Could someone please explain to me what all the varients are and how they are different, because I hear AR15, M14, M15, M16 (think I know that one), M4 (think I know that one too), M177 and I have no idea what the differences are.

AR-15 - Any M16 varient on the civilian market (semi-only)

M14 - Unrelated

M15 - What Armalite calls it's M16 varients

M16 - What colt calls it's Armalite varients (Armalite designed it) M16 is a full size rifle

M4 - A carbine (shorter, with colapsable stock) version of the M16

M177 - One of many varients of the M4

SR16 - Knights armament version of the M4, but with a solid stock

SR15 - Knights armament version of the M4

Basically they are all based off of the Armalite design, the different names designate either different manufacturer or different parts (barrel length, stock type, RIS or regular handguard, etc.)

Have a look at http://www.wgcshop.com under AEGs (look at Tokyo Marui) and you'll see what I mean.

Another thing to note is that the A1, A2, A3, A4 are what kind of reciever it has. For example an M16A1 would be a full size varient with a solid stock and an oldschool reciever (adjusting sights requires a tool). An M16A2 the same thing, but with a manually adjustable sight. An M16A3 would mean a reciever with a removable carry handle and Picatinni rail. An M16A4 would be the same with a RIS system. I think I got that right. Close enough anyway. I know one of you anal people will correct me later anyway.

So basically, they are all the same gun in different clothes. Except the M14. That has nothing to do with Armalite varients.

Aaron

<_<

Not sure.. I think M4 is just a generalization for all M4 styles. I could be wrong, but I don't entirely know. I thought the M4 with solid stock (colt version, not SR16), was basically called the M16 carbine. I really don't know.

Aaron

<_<

Armalites? Dime a dozen. It's H&K that costs, and rightly so.

:zorro:

I SOOO wasn't talking about the armalites... girlfriend? joke? Argh! You make me need to chain smoke! lol

Anyways, I was going to have a fun little arguement, but I have to sign off. It's been fun.

Aaron

All MP5s are the same asides from slight differences.

All P90s are the same asides from slight differences.

All AK47s are the same asides from slight differences.

All G36cs are the same asides from slight differences.

All AR-15/M16s are the same asides from slight differences.

See where I'm getting at here?

The only thing that is always the same on an M16 varient is the lower reciever, however... you can have a solid stock, standard stock, enhanced stock, VLTOR stock, crane stock, magpul stock. You can put various sized barrels and foregrips on. The reciever can be A1, A2 or a picatinny style. There may or may not be a front sight...

Also, sledge.. H&K is a company that makes a *fruitcage* huge number of pistols, sub machineguns, assault rifles and sniper rifles...even grenade launchers.

The M16 is but one gun.

That's like saying Porsche 911s are too common and ferrari is the way to go.

Would The U.S. use a rifle desighn that isnt good?   NO! so if the real steel design is good

YES they would (because it's American -> American Nationalism)

NO it isn't good

Not sure.. I think M4 is just a generalization for all M4 styles.  I could be wrong, but I don't entirely know.  I thought the M4 with solid stock (colt version, not SR16), was basically called the M16 carbine.  I really don't know.

M4 = A2 Style Upper, 3Round Burst

M4A1 = A3 Style (Flat-Top) Upper, Fullauto

Both with telescope stock as Standard.

But that's just a rough rule of thumb, the Colt system of numbering and designations is really strange and inconsistant

The only thing that is always the same on an M16 varient is the lower reciever, however... you can have a solid stock, standard stock, enhanced stock, VLTOR stock, crane stock, magpul stock.

Solid stock is too long for most shooters, the sstandard and enhanced stock to instable, VLTOR and Crane are still instable and too clumsy, Magpul stock is fine (beside the huge hole in the stocks upper part when extended) but expensive...

You can put various sized barrels and foregrips on.

As you can with the G36 and the AUG too (+ AK in Airsoft)

The reciever can be A1, A2 or a picatinny style.

As with the G36 and the AUG :D

Everyone has their preferences. I like the way H&K guns look. However I'm not totally sold on their egonomics. The USP/MK23s are damned good to hold, but the MP5 and G36 feel odd to me.

I suppose your first assault rifle was an AR15 variant, wasn't it? :D

My M15 w.M203 is my favourite rifle, but only because it's the predator model (heatshield SP M203) and it feels great.

But so does the G36 and the AUG, and the P90 and the AK (less so the AK actually, sorry to all Kalashnikov fans but the foregrip lends itself to wrist-ache for me).

At the end of the day, all these guns are highly engeneered by the absolute best in their field worldwide, so most of them, especially the popular ones, are ergonomic and highly practical.

Even despite the AK47 being a tad awkward to shoulder for me, it's the best hip-shooter and feels most natural to run with

Archived