(more) Parents

KidScotland

FFS doesn't have a CQB facitliy, but if you ever come with us up to CQB dundee you'll appreciate the taclight. Plus we do run the odd night game.

Iron sights are suficient, and mounting a red dot such as an aimpoint to an mp5 is not the easiest.

For the money you spend on that, you can get a decent pistol, spare mag and holster; a far better investment imho, especially as you can get sights post VCR but you wouldn't be able to get a pistol.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Thread revival: true

Style: grim

Tone: not happy

Well...today I just found out that the friend I was going skirmishing with has pulled out because his mother was 'concerned for his safety'. I've tried explaining this but it's like talking to a brick wall.

My own mum, refuses to let me go on my own, and I can't find anybody else to go with me...the problem: The next game day is the 23rd October, the exact day of my Duke of Edinburgh walk...so now we're into November, if I get to go at all.

She refuses to let me go because 'she doesnt agree with guns' (see!? complete U-turn on on what I made her promise not to do)

Oh yeah, she also signed the consent form at the ATC to allow me to use live weapons...complete loss of perspective here?

She's not letting me go alone, despite the fact that I inivted him as a one off, and the original plan was to go alone!

Also, she feels I'm too young. I'm 14, the minimum age is 14. I've been waiting 2 years now for my first skirmish, and been planning this one since May...but of course things go to hell 2 night before I'm supposed to go!

Her jist is that I can do these things when I'm 18. I'm really not prepared to wait 4 years until I can properly skirmish.

I love these forums, the sport and I really don't want to give this up, so no "Do what your mum says" please...she says she'll 'review it later', what you don't understand is that 'review it later' for her means "say something and then hope he forgets about it". I have been interested in airsoft for 2 years, I'm not going to forget about it.

I can't remember a day since I became an arnies addict when I haven't had at least one thought that's airsoft related...how can I possiblty 'soft without having to move out to my dad's (where I am just now, arguments have been over the phone)

Earlier on I said talking to my friend's mum was like talking to a brick wall, talking to my mum is like talking to a brick wall that hits back...

...Please advise!

EDIT: added more

PS: I am in for a ######ing of biblical proportions when I get back...

i had truble conviinsing my mother to get me airsoft (with my money of corse) she let me keep those cheap springer pistoles but nothing else specialy nothing menasing she thought they could hurt someon so i shot her with my pistole nd she elet me get aegs after that

Have you actually sat her down in front of the computer and shown her the forums and skirmish site websites. If you show her those and emphasise the safety involved: 1J, marshalls, goggles, insurance, medically trained persons etc etc maybe it might persuade her. Have your surfing mapped out first like you would do a presentation.

Could you not get your Dad involved and he could go along too and have a blast? Surely your Mom would be happy with that as a safety precaution.

As a side note you definately need a larger ampage battery. 1100mah is not enough for a whole day unless you are taking it easy. Since you are getting a full stock MP5 I would get a batt which is 2000mah +, it'll cost a bit more but you won't have to change it or recharge it during the day.

Also have you factored in costs of goggles, magazine webbing and BB's which are really more essential than red dots, torches etc, when you are on a budget, and really need to be bought with the gun - especially safety gear.

i had truble conviinsing my mother to get me airsoft (with my money of corse) she let me keep those cheap springer pistoles but nothing else specialy nothing menasing she thought they could hurt someon so i shot her with my pistole nd she elet me get aegs after that

Wow....Your stupid....

• 3 weeks later...

I’m in pretty much the same boat as you Kidscotland. Parents separated, Mum not happy about airsoft, dad doesn’t like violence, but doesn’t really mind airsoft, and best friend's parents are airsoft Nazis. I got round my mum's fear of airsoft my building up my airsoft collection slowly. Starting with one of those horrible little £5 springers, a Sig Super 9, and various things in-between, and then asked for an ICS MP5a5. Answer? No.

My mum had loads of misconceptions about airsoft, and the people who play it. After asking my dad to talk to her she reluctantly agreed to let me buy my MP5. But she still though that airsoft players are immature people, who have not grown up, and still like playing soldiers. She still has this view, but much less so, as she accompanied me to my first skirmish, and found that everyone was "friendly and helpful". I hate to think what she was expecting.

My friend's parents are total "Airsoft Nazis" and passionately hate airsoft. They believe all the rubbish in the media about AEGs being able to break fingers, and crack shop windows, and yet they let my friend go paintballing! When he confronts them about him being allowed to paintball, they simply say "well you certainly wont go paintballing again". They treat airsoft like some sort of underground sport, and yet they are perfectly fine with him spraying bbs around the garden with my MP5. And suddenly, I look at my S&W Sigma, and my MP5 and realise that no matter how much my parents hate guns, I am very lucky that they see airsoft for what it is: a harmless sport.

Good luck with airsoft Kidscotland!

I’m in pretty much the same boat as you Kidscotland. Parents separated, Mum not happy about airsoft, dad doesn’t like violence, but doesn’t really mind airsoft, and best friend's parents are airsoft Nazis.

Now, this annoys me. People say "I can't airsoft because my parents don't like violence." I (mostly) dislike violence. It doesn't stop me airsofting, however, since airsoft is not a violent sport.

"Now, this annoys me. People say, "I can't airsoft because my parents don't like violence." I (mostly) dislike violence. It doesn't stop me airsofting, however, since airsoft is not a violent sport."

I am not saying that I can't airsoft because my parents dislike violence. I am saying that my dad dislikes guns and violence, BUT sees airsoft as a harmless sport, regardless of the fact that is uses replica guns, because of the harmless nature of the guns, and the sport.

Violence is a very general term. Yes, airsoft can be interpreted as violent in the sense that you are shooting at other people, imitating killing them, but if this is violence, it is not hurtful violence. You are not shooting other players to deliberately cause them pain and suffering. You are causing them a small amount of pain, but only as part of the sport. Not out of hatred or anger towards that person. You could class airsoft as violent, but then what would you class a person who doesn’t take any notice when players call their hits, and keeps on shooting? There is a fine line between these two types of violence. Where that line lies varies from person to person, and can be interpreted in many different ways. You say you mostly dislike violence. You dislike hurtful violence; Violence that causes people un-necessary suffering. The violence that unfortunately, this world is so full of at the moment.

I know what it's like kidscotland, my mum flinches even at the mention of a gun but luckily she doesn't put up resistance to me getting one. My Dad realises it's just a safe sport and aslong as i use my own money he's cool with it.

I think some people have given you some good advice: Show her arnie's take her to firefight. And maby find some videos using yahoo video search of someone getting hit by an airsoft gun (sounds stupid i know) but it might snap her out of the "anti-gun" one-mindedness that has been programmed into most people making them automaticcaly presume any gun will kill people. One thing NOT to do is follow Coolio's advice and shoot her <_<

Good look with you struggle for justice though :P

Oh yeah, she also signed the consent form at the ATC to allow me to use live weapons...complete loss of perspective here?

She's not letting me go alone, despite the fact that I inivted him as a one off, and the original plan was to go alone!

Also, she feels I'm too young. I'm 14, the minimum age is 14. I've been waiting 2 years now for my first skirmish, and been planning this one since May...but of course things go to hell 2 night before I'm supposed to go!

Her jist is that I can do these things when I'm 18. I'm really not prepared to wait 4 years until I can properly skirmish.

Right here is the thing yeah the ATC safety precautions are balls no goggles or anything when shooting. Running around with few 1st aid trained personal.

Not to mention the guys from my local site actually came to a parade night with my ATC unit and showed us the guns had a demo and everything. When I was 13.

In fact that was how I got into airsoft. My ATC unit even organised games for a bit.

Maybe check with Fireball and your CO if they would come to a parade night and give a Demo. Just gives them more customers really as most cadets are the people likely to play airsoft. If your sqaudron organises paintball then just say it is like that but more realistic and safer to convince your CO.

Cheers,

Pariah

I am not saying that I can't airsoft because my parents dislike violence. I am saying that my dad dislikes guns and violence, BUT sees airsoft as a harmless sport, regardless of the fact that is uses replica guns, because of the harmless nature of the guns, and the sport.

See, that's not really what I meant. I wasn't saying anything about your post in particular, just saying that I get annoyed when people say that their parents discourage airsoft for being synonimous with violence. I know that airsoft isn't violent; it hurts, but it's not violent.

On another note, my parents have no problem with my airsoft habit, and even if they did I don't live with them anymore. Go me.

My Dad simply sees airsoft as a bit imature, but he is happy to get me things like scopes, even guns.

My mum is one of those people who thinks that all guns are violent. She dosnt like it if i shoot in the house. But she has no problem taking me and 5 of my mates to a skirmish for my B-day.

All in all, i am fairly lucky when it comes to parents.

Parents are a strange creature..

my father doesnt like violence.. however every time i suggest a pistol to him he complains that it doesnt look as menacing as a big .45

my mother doesnt like violence.. yet she was all up for me signing up with the army

Wierd. No?

Archived