Star M249 Para Examined...

...skipping a bunch of stock photos... on to feed tray.

Feed cover closed:

gallery_9287_528_12963.jpg

Feed cover open. Note spring on mechbox for cocking handle. Note also metal hopup chamber and ring for hopup adjustment, no tool required. I etched a + for more hopup side, because I have the memory of a hummingbird....

gallery_9287_528_106177.jpg

Feed tray with ammo belt feed guide clip down. Its stiff metal:

gallery_9287_528_99716.jpg

BONUS PICTURE! Dummy ammo clip placement on there. Assume it'd work same on Star:

gallery_9287_528_37309.jpg

BONUS PICTURE 2 - clip thing on box mag to hold ammo belt clip (circled in red) - yes I taped up innards of box mag - a tip I learned from another 249 owner making pouring ammo in easy as pie, recommend doing that on the Star box mag too. I also recommend wrapping it once around with tape when you skirmish. It'd suck to catch that side cover on something and have it pop off spilling your ammo - and in the case of the Star, your battery too:

gallery_9287_528_48124.jpg

BONUS PICTURE 3... trifecta! The ammo belt in. Looks spiffy. Will look spiffy on Star too.

gallery_9287_528_93711.jpg

Ok. Skipping skipping skipping to the part where the mechbox comes out. Identical to the CA. Taking one pic to show that. Note the cylinder/spring guide in same place. Note the spring release latch in same place on top. Note the wiring to the rear mount battery is different.

gallery_9287_528_52850.jpg

------------------------------

OK that about does it. Open this page up and put her side by side to page one for comparo. My opinion is I think you get alot of gun with the Star for the price. Remember with the CA you don't get an ammo box or case with it. You get metal and weight, and the differences you see above.

Hope this helps folks trying to decide.

NOW GO BUY SAWS AND SMACK-EM YACK-EM!!!

Edited by Hillslam
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't wait for my dummy rounds to get here now :D

i couldn't live without my para stock, for me the full stock would greatly reduce the versatility of the weapon.

i wouldnt mind putting a metal feed cover and heat shield on my star but that would probably cost me 350 dollars. the japanese are such tight-asses when it comes to steel.

I can't wait for mine either. They should have been here by now too! Two nights in a row I come home thinking I'll get to put 'em on, and no show. :(

Hillslam, Good point about taping the cover of the box mag on. I forgot to mention that in my skirmish report. I filled it up the first time, took one look at it and though about dumping ~$30 in BBs the unfun way (it would be so easy to snag the cover and pop it off). I wrapped around it twice with E tape, didn't give it a second thought after that.

I dunno if I want to tape off the whole inside of the box mag like that. I need to be able to get at the stuff in there. I'm thinking I'll add some weather stripping to the appropriate spot to prevent BBs finding their way into the rest of the box when the cover is on (they just rattle around and they're tough as hell to get out sometimes), but otherwise I'll just take care when filling it.

Edited by staticzero
I can't wait for mine either. They should have been here by now too! Two nights in a row I come home thinking I'll get to put 'em on, and no show. :(

haha i know how you feel, every day i come home from work and go right to the mailbox, look inside, and start cussing. the nieghbors must think i'm crazy.

Hillslam, Good point about taping the cover of the box mag on. I forgot to mention that in my skirmish report. I filled it up the first time, took one look at it and though about dumping ~$30 in BBs the unfun way (it would be so easy to snag the cover and pop it off). I wrapped around it twice with E tape, didn't give it a second thought after that.

I dunno if I want to tape off the whole inside of the box mag like that. I need to be able to get at the stuff in there. I'm thinking I'll add some weather stripping to the appropriate spot to prevent BBs finding their way into the rest of the box when the cover is on (they just rattle around and they're tough as hell to get out sometimes), but otherwise I'll just take care when filling it.

i think i'm going to line the inside of the box with dynamat so the BBs dont rattle, its the best material for the job i can think of. its already got adhesive on one side, and its thin.

Edited by WarMonger

does anyone know if its possible to fit aftermarket parts made for the TOP series M249 onto the STAR m249? Like what parts are just completely molded on and what parts can be taken off the STAR version? Basically im looking to replace the heatshield, add a ris/ras and a metal feed tray with rail

Edited by echotebarknwhale

This has come up a few times already, and we don't really know the answer yet.

The heat shield comes right off, the handguard comes off and it may be possible to use one of the available RAS systems in it's place, the feed cover should be compatible too. But no one has tried any of it. It could be that the dimensions are all slightly off somehow, or maybe not. We just don't know at this point. Some minor parts should fit based on what can be seen at Guarder's site, like the pistol grip for example.

You can checkout the exploded views, available at Star's site, to get a better idea of how it goes together.

Para:

http://starairsoft.com/Large/SAA_M249_PARA_2A_L.jpg

MkII:

http://starairsoft.com/Large/SAA_M249_MK2_7A_L.jpg

Well, thanks to the reviews that Static and Warmonger posted, I ordered one of these from AirsoftGI a couple of days ago. I had always wanted a support weapon, but i'm not getting any younger and it just wasn't fun to tote those things around. This version is just what the doctor ordered (for me anyway).

I have never ordered from AirsoftGI before but they seem to be well thought of here (although I haven't heard anything from them).

Anyhow, thanks for all the info!

I think the Star + a metal feedtray cover and you'll be in good shape from both functionality and looks while still staying light on weight. (Providing they have the long term durability, which we won't know for awhile, but there's no reason to suspect they won't.) Afterall, if you look at the pics on pg1 and pg9 between metal and plastic they look darn similar.

"Up with SAWs. Do your part to end the scourge of AEGs with C-mags posing as support weapons."

Edited by Hillslam

I ordered mine from Airsoft GI as well, and it was supposed to be here tomorrow - buuuuuttttt they screwed it up. I got a notice that it had shipped on Monday, but then the UPS tracking never updated, kept saying, "Billing Information Received" and nothing else. Well, 4 phone calls and 3 days later, and after insisting that they must've not shipped it out - low and behold, the tracking finally started working early this morning. Seems they just forgot about my 600 dollar order sitting there and only after I made a handful of phone calls and whatnot did it finally get shipped out. Needless to say, I'm SLIGHTLY irritated since I won't get to use it this weekend like I had planned.

:: sigh ::

-Slo

so i plan on ordering myself one of the star paras as an early christmas present. as far as the metal aftermarket parts are concerned, what i plan on doing is taking the star over to my buddies house who has a ca249 and seeing if his parts (feed tray cover, heat shield, etc.) will fit on my gun. if so, then i'll know that any aftermarket parts that are made to fit the ca gun will most likely fit the star one as well. ill post again when i find out, unless someone else beats me to it.

Edited by baron556
Dude, I sold my TOP SAWs because of this review. I like the idea of a lightweight heavy support weapon. Especially, if it's a BB hose and reliable.

Regarding the CA SAWs, their appearance is a turnoff. The whole gun is black and doesn't look very realistic. The appearance of the STAR version is what got me interested in it.

If their L85s are half as nice as their SAW, they're gonna sell a ton of them.

Then they'd better hurry up since their main market is going to be forbidden from buying them soon!

Edited by Doug
addendum: Hey, can someone with their CA249 post pics here for comparison to help people out?

Hopefully I will be buying a CA M249 very soon. I was going to wait for the Star, but once I found out it was plastic I went to the CA. :D

In the near future I will also be buying (from HK) a TOP M60 Navy Seals. I will post some piccies then.

:P

Just to clear matters up, I do not skirmish, I collect and target shoot, but felt I needed a couple of 'heavies' to round out the collection, at present standing at about 80 guns. :flamed:

If I have any guns people would like to see photos of. let me know. I will post my site address once I get the blinking thing working properly! All guns and much, much more on there. :D

While on the subject of Star guns, what about the coming release of the SA85 varients. They look relly nice. I want one, I want one!! :rolleyes:

Just seen some rumours for about the 1st of december, although rumours are just that.

edit: yup just checked out http://www.l85.co.uk/ the SUSAT, L85A2 and Carbine Variant are due for release on the 1st December.

edit edit : :D and i've just noticed that Star are also going to release the AG36 Grenade Launcher set for the L85 series aswell :D

You can have your thread back now :P

Edited by rageman