G&G RK104

Tank

The other day I had the pleasure of testing a sample of the G&G RK104. (AK 104)

So, I decided to write a review. Let me start by apologizing for the pictures, they aren’t the greatest but, there the best I could do with the camera I have at work.

Here’s the pretty box.

RK104box01.jpg

Gun in its Styrofoam.

RK104infoam.jpg

The first thing I noticed was that the magazine in the picture on the box is an AK74 magazine. However the magazine actually included with the gun is an AK 47 magazine.

RK104h1.jpg

I was slightly disappointed by this, but that faded quickly. The first thing I did upon removing the gun from the package was put the magazine in and shoulder it.

I was impressed with the weight. With empty mag & no battery it weighs in at 6.2 lbs. (2.6.8kg.) while the real steel (empty) weighs 6.6 lbs. (3.0kg). The length of the G&G is 33.88 inches (860mm.) while the real steel is 32.47 inches (824mm.)

I also noticed that the pistol grip felt narrower than that of a TM AK47 more like the real steel. Also, the grip has nice textured sides unlike the smooth sides of the TM AK47.

RK104p1.jpg

The grip is actually approximately 1mm wider (left to right) and 2mm thinner (front to back) than the TM. Moving on…

Next, I loaded the included 600 round high-cap magazine and attempted to remove the butt plate to insert a battery. It was then that I discovered the butt plate does not slide off as it does on a TM. There are 2 screws that must be removed before you can take off the butt plate.

RK104butt01.jpg

I was a little disappointed by this, as it will make hanging batteries much more difficult during a game. However I use 3300 Mah Ni-MH batteries so it would be much less of an issue for me than those who use lower capacity Ni-cd batteries. The battery compartment is fairly spacious and it will fit a regular large 9.6v battery with out any trouble.

After installing the battery, winding, & inserting the magazine it was time to chrono*. The results were about what I expected. It chronoed at an average of 350 fps w/.20 BBs. The R.O.F. was 857 rpm using an 8.4 v 1800 Mah battery and an impressive 1,200 rmp using a 9.6 v 1800 Mah battery.

The hop-up is very easy to adjust. The adjustment tab is MUCH larger than that of the TM. This is good news for people (like me) with large hands/fingers who have a bit of trouble getting hold of the tiny little tab on the TM.

RK104hop01.jpg

The hi-cap magazine fed flawlessly. In fact, I then loaded (& fired) a brand new TM magazine & the G&G mag fed better than the TM. While the TM magazine is compatible with the G&G, it requires slightly more pressure to fully lock into the mag-well.

Now that I was done shooting it was time to field strip.

1st I removed the upper receiver. Much to my surprise I saw a full length (stainless steel) guide rod and recoil spring as well as an aluminum bolt.

RK104guierodside01.jpg

RK104guiderodtop01.jpg

After removing the guide rod & spring I removed the bolt. I was again surprised, this time to see a gas piston on the front of the bolt.

RK104gaspstn01.jpg

Next…the handguards. With an upward flip of the handguard locking lever, a little wiggle and tug on the upper handguard and it was free. Next, I removed the cleaning rod, turned the lower handguard retainer lock to point forward, slide the retainer forward, and the lower handguard was now free.

Here it is field stripped.

RK104fieldstrip02.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are no trades or other markings with the exception of 1 on the left side near the front of the lower receiver.

RK104trade01.jpg

Overall:

This gun is very solid; has good accuracy, velocity, weight, and balance.

The fit and finish is quite nice, and field strips like the real steal.

Construction is full metal with the exception of the high quality plastic furniture. The bolt has a very satisfying sound when “racked”.

Steel parts include: Upper receiver, selector switch, trigger guard, magazine release, rear sight, rear sling mount, cleaning rod, upper handguard lock pin, lower handguard retainer, butt plate, and compensator/flash suppressor.

The packaging and manual are of the same quality as that of the UMG and other G&G guns.

I have not yet opened the gearbox, but if/when I do I’ll review the internals as well.

*Chrono results were achieved using KSC “perfect” .20 bb and a Gamma Shooting Chrony.

Here are some more pix for you enjoyment.

RK104stockright01.jpg

RK104selector06.jpg

RK104rearreceiver01.jpg

RK104muzzle01.jpg

RK104magwell01.jpg

RK104leftside08.jpg

RK104leftside06.jpg

RK104leftside04.jpg

RK104leftside05.jpg

Hmm...Is this just me, or does this look prettier than the Classic Army?...

I want one; but I'm so retentive about accuracy (Even though with airsoft guns, that much lentgh wont mean squat...); that I want the longer-barreled one, which they obviously make (Due to the other cut in the foam....I'm a genius! <Not...>)^_^ Wonder when I can get one...Better come out here soon...<By soon I mean before Christmas.>

Very nice, proper receiver as well (unlike the CA one)

It can also take 47 mags , since the 104 variant shoots 7.62x39 in real life, however if you put a 74 mag in it you get a 105 :)

This is very interesting , also considering the box shape, which might indicate they will do a long Ak as well..

Excellent work! Great to see a review on this so soon. I must say this gun looks more compelling to me than the CA SLR. I find it very tempting... I too would prefer a full length version, and hope that the space in the foam is a sign that it's on the horizon. Don't be too disappointed about the but plate, you'll never loose it this way (unlike the TM) and it's more realistic. Too bad about the mag being the wrong type though. And, it would be nice if SOMEONE made one of these with the proper folding solid stock.

I really like the realistic stripping. That's a very nice feature, though kind of useless outside of being cool, I suppose. :) Still, I really appreciate G&G putting in features like this. I really like the attention to detail. It's becoming more and more typical of them and I'm all for it.

Hmm, I wonder if the available wood kits will fit it. Also, does the flash hider come off like a normal AK flash hider?

Ehh...Folding stock WOULD be nice (And you'd think that that's obvious to the manufactures, but NNOOOOOOO.....); however I need the battery space; most of my games are day/nighters. (Playin this weekend, whish me luck!:) ) < I have to use a spring UHC MP5 against a Thompson and others...:( >

Edit:Damn typos...^_^

Sure, but the AK-74M has a folding full stock. You could still put a large battery in there. Wiring would be the tricky part, of course.

"AK-74M. The latest variant, issued to the Russian troops since early 1990s. Key differences from the earlier AK-74 rifles are the side-folding plastic buttstock and the scope mounting rail on the left side of the receiver."

http://world.guns.ru/assault/ak74m_91.jpg

Excellent work! Great to see a review on this so soon. I must say this gun looks more compelling to me than the CA SLR. I find it very tempting... I too would prefer a full length version, and hope that the space in the foam is a sign that it's on the horizon. Don't be too disappointed about the but plate, you'll never loose it this way (unlike the TM) and it's more realistic. Too bad about the mag being the wrong type though. And, it would be nice if SOMEONE made one of these with the proper folding solid stock.

I really like the realistic stripping. That's a very nice feature, though kind of useless outside of being cool,  I suppose. :) Still, I really appreciate G&G putting in features like this. I really like the attention to detail. It's becoming more and more typical of them and I'm all for it.

Hmm, I wonder if the available wood kits will fit it. Also, does the flash hider come off like a normal AK flash hider?

Thanks.

I agree about the field stripping. I also appreciate G&G's attention to detail. They are quickly becomming my favorite manufacturer. Between their attention to detail, the quality, & the end user support, you can't really ask for much more in my opinion.

As far as the flash suppressor...I don't know, haven't tried to remove it yet. I would think it'll come off like a normal one. But then again the inner barrel does go through about half of it, so who knows??

Sure, but the AK-74M has a folding full stock. You could still put a large battery in there. Wiring would be the tricky part, of course.

"AK-74M. The latest variant, issued to the Russian troops since early 1990s. Key differences from the earlier AK-74 rifles are the side-folding plastic buttstock and the scope mounting rail on the left side of the receiver."

http://world.guns.ru/assault/ak74m_91.jpg

Thanks! Cool linkage. But great, now I'll just HAVE to get a bayonet for it! (Not for airsoft, you nutters; for when it's hanging gracefully on my wall in front of...Erm....SOME kind of flag...^_^ ) Who's with me? <I'd be willing to bet Marlowe teh Russian Geardo is...Too bad he's picky and won't just buy 5.45mm mags; he's gonna miss out>

But you lot forget:

1) The realistic bolt/spring etc leaves no room for a stick battery, so the battery would HAVE to be in the stock.

2) In all likelyness the folding stock would not be able to take a battery (wiring) probs.

I still think that CA might release a folder, as they left room for a stick battery.

Archived