My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got to the hotel for my week in Manchester for college.. The room is so *fruitcage* warm its crazy. The radiator has a thermostat on it which is set to 0 but it'd doing sweet *fruitcage* all and letting the rad belt out heat.. Whats the point?! 

Still, at least I have a room on my own, no more dealing with kids pissing in my kettle and generally being *albatrosses* like previous trips! 

It's been the same every time I've been to this hotel in multipul rooms unfortunately. Tried before and they've just said there isn't another available or there is nothing they can do. I'll try again tomorrow morning but I doubt it'll be a different story. Beds are *suitcase* too, springs have gone. I think the issue is they put us apprentices in apprentice grade rooms which aren't good enough for regular paying guests, but still.. Still it's a roof above my head, a shower every morning and 2 meals a day I can't complain too much especially as I'm not the one paying. 

Not strictly for this topic but it follows through. Managed to get hold of the hotel manager to ask about the radiator, apparently it can be lowered and the thermostats are disabled to stop tampering (logical?!). Still he's said he will get someone in their to turn it off whilst im at college so happy days.

On topic, feeling absolutely horrendous again, seems I wasn't actually hungover after the wedding on Friday, I have flu. Such a warm room obviously didn't help and has brought the Devils flu along with the heat of hell. Awesome, just what I need during Engine Lubrication lectures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not strictly for this topic but it follows through. Managed to get hold of the hotel manager to ask about the radiator, apparently it can be lowered and the thermostats are disabled to stop tampering (logical?!). Still he's said he will get someone in their to turn it off whilst im at college so happy days.

On topic, feeling absolutely horrendous again, seems I wasn't actually hungover after the wedding on Friday, I have flu. Such a warm room obviously didn't help and has brought the Devils flu along with the heat of hell. Awesome, just what I need during Engine Lubrication lectures.

The way it's done in the Forces is a good place to start - tops are sized by height and chest (I'd maybe add arm length and collar size where appropriate); trousers by waist, seat and leg; and so on.

Oh you funny guy you. I said that issue 34" waist trousers turned out to be 33" and a bit, and they didn't fit my 34" waist. However, my well-worn second-hand 34" waist jeans already stretched out to 35", which isn't a problem since I wear a belt anyway.

And right now, the *fruitcage* 33" and a bit crackerjacks are drying after a hot wash, with a 17" coathanger and two 1" corks shoved in the waistband, just so I'll be able to put them on. And before you ask, no, I don't have any weight to lose.

Symptomatic of clothing manufacturers being idiots - no need to increase the size of given numbered sizes - just add more numbers at the top end.

If a size 20 today is approximately what a size 24 or 26 was 60 years ago - then today's sizes are deliberately mislabelled to make people think they're a different size than they are.

Somewhere, in a rusty filing cabinet in a dark, disused basement, there's a set of measurements for the "standard" sizes. All manufacturers should be held to those standards, that way a size 12 dress bought in Next would be the same as a size 12 in Matalan or Primark or M&S or Harrods or anywhere else.

Mike - Your problem is your trousers are not the size they claim to be. Under my proposed system, the manufacturer of those trousers would be penalised for poor quality control and/or false advertising.

Symptomatic of clothing manufacturers being idiots - no need to increase the size of given numbered sizes - just add more numbers at the top end.

If a size 20 today is approximately what a size 24 or 26 was 60 years ago - then today's sizes are deliberately mislabelled to make people think they're a different size than they are.

Somewhere, in a rusty filing cabinet in a dark, disused basement, there's a set of measurements for the "standard" sizes. All manufacturers should be held to those standards, that way a size 12 dress bought in Next would be the same as a size 12 in Matalan or Primark or M&S or Harrods or anywhere else.

They are reflecting our culture of nothing being the fault of any one given individual - if they were to change no doubt they'd be accused of "fat shaming" and reducing people's self esteem. 

There was an article in The Sun yesterday (found it, didn't buy it) which proudly claimed that bust/breast cup size has increased since 2001.

This is simply because the average woman is fatter.

But still, boobs are getting bigger!

Just got to the hotel for my week in Manchester for college.. The room is so *fruitcage* warm its crazy. The radiator has a thermostat on it which is set to 0 but it'd doing sweet *fruitcage* all and letting the rad belt out heat.. Whats the point?! 

Still, at least I have a room on my own, no more dealing with kids pissing in my kettle and generally being *albatrosses* like previous trips! 

Most radiators can be completely shut off on the opposite side to the side the thermostat is mounted.

Pull off the plastic cover and screw the valve all the way in.

Not this type it's a real old school set up. It's fine they haven't turned the heating down which is annoying but im still feeling horrendous and shivery so it's welcome right now. Till the hot flush comes.

What are peoples thoughts on this terror training and apologizing for saying 'allahu akbar'  Should they be apologizing?  Yes, not all terrorists are Muslim but come on, they're trying to do realistic training...It's coming across the police spokesperson is spineless.  The outrage is all a bit pathetic imo. 

In the future, perhaps they should shout 'Abracadabra'  No doubt they would still have to apologize to someone though.

On a related note, I'm 95% sure I spotted one of the responders with a HK417 which is interesting.

What are peoples thoughts on this terror training and apologizing for saying 'allahu akbar'  Should they be apologizing?  Yes, not all terrorists are Muslim but come on, they're trying to do realistic training...It's coming across the police spokesperson is spineless.  The outrage is all a bit pathetic imo. 

In the future, perhaps they should shout 'Abracadabra'  No doubt they would still have to apologize to someone though.

On a related note, I'm 95% sure I spotted one of the responders with a HK417 which is interesting.

To me, it's *badger*s apologising.

It's current training against a current threat, and making it as realistic as possible should be at the forefront.

Senior cops should grow a backbone and stop pandering to a bunch of tossers.

If i was hired as a terrorist for a police exercise id be yelling allah ackbar more or less constantly - they'd probably have to ask me to stop! Say what you will but its a good war cry imo

Edit: if i ever stop posting here it will probably because ive been arrested on hate crime / terrorism charges for playing dank isis beats down my headset as i jeep & c4 tanks on battlefield 4

I'm not up to speed on the full details, but, as I understand it, "Alahu Akbar" is just Kurdish / Muslim (apologies) for 'praise be unto God'.

If they were doing training for action in Eire, and someone said "Praise God!" after a pipe bomb or something went off, would we be having the same reaction?

If yes, then fair enough, we probably need to address the procedures for training scenarios and the actors in them.

If not, we're just being racist, because we're passively discriminating against other religions by not apologising to them when you pretend to be them.

Archived