My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Otterbox case for my S4 died, screen came away from the case exterior.

Ordered a replacement case from a different brand and it's bloody massive.

It should be awesome for outdoors stuff which it seems to be designed for but not the day to day use I wanted. Back to Amazon/Ebay for a EDC case I guess.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was a traffic officer, I think I'd be more likely to stop someone making violent maneuvers than someone who just sits in lane one and cruises along...

This. Although given the chance (never happens) the middle lane hog will be spoken to as well.

The only police I see out on the roads regularly are the ones sitting on their arses in scamera vans.   So much for enforcing middle lane twats and people on their phone which they might be able to do if they weren't stationary.

Part of the penalty for using a phone whilst driving in Stunt's Britain would be to have your phone epoxied to the side of your head for a few months (with no battery).

Middle lane twats would be banned from roads with more than 2 lanes.

Black box in the car, when you tried to drive onto one the ignition would just cut out.

A lot of driving offences would have a mandatory 2000km of educational bicycle use.  Offenders are tagged and have to cycle 2000km on their local roads to get their car license back

The only police I see out on the roads regularly are the ones sitting on their arses in scamera vans. So much for enforcing middle lane twats and people on their phone which they might be able to do if they weren't stationary.

Not cops, civi staff in the vans. At least ours are.

As for enforcement, traffic cars are sparse, and usually always working on a job. If not, it's a blip of blue lights to make them think and budge over, as in "*fruitcage* swith on and move over, I'm on my way to something serious."

Unfortunately there are more important jobs to deal with due to staff and budget cuts.

New thing. Why are car insurance websites so *bramston pickle* slow and annoying?

I properly hate browsing for insurance. And hate how much of a rip off it is. Run by a bunch of unregulated shysters.

I have to pay an extra 300 quid "non network repairer excess" on top of my 350 quid regular excess to get my bike repaired and someone "not approved" by the insurance company.

My bike is a bmw.

Since its under warranty, I want it repaired by, shock horror, bmw.

Who aren't "approved" by my insurance company.

Insurance companies can get to *fruitcage*. Robbing bastards.

Get a classic car. £114 for a years insurance fully comp including UK and EU breakdown cover on my corrado :D

And you do need that breakdown cover...

I need a reliable daily driver. Something big enough to chuck the family and dogs in, and also a decent size for buying building materials for my house/tip runs.

It's not the vehicle, it's obtaining the sodding insurance quotes, and then the prices I'm getting from aforementioned shysters. I'm a 36 year old bloke, wanting a diesel estate/mpv. Don't need tons of horses under the bonnet, but want something comfy. I'm getting quotes of over £500 for *suitcasey* french cars worth under 4k. I've never once had any points or convictions.

It sucks. If, for example, yanks can drive a 17 litre SUV the size of a bus, and insure it for pennies, why can we not? Because we've been bent over and taken it dry from our insurance companies for too long.

I hate buying insurance.

From what I gather, US car insurance is actually quite expensive compared to ours and they pay quarterly I think.   Then again they basically get their fuel for free and their cars cost barely anything so they still get the better deal.  Plus depending on the state, don't need to run an ugly front number plate.

I did the insurance malarkey a few weeks ago.  I tried all the places that are guaranteed (yeah right) to beat your renewal quote; A Plan, Mustard e.t.c. all coming back £1K over my best quote from online...

I'd say try the likes of A Plan, Adrian Flux and Mustard just in case you get a good fit, but I always get the best price from using MoneySupermarket. Once you've plugged in all your details, it takes 30 seconds to get quotes.  You can go back and tweak info change the car, (word your occupation better, all true of course), add/remove named drivers, anticipated mileage e.t.c. I've used it for 5 years straight and it has always given me the most competitive quotes.

From your posting, I don't see why you're getting such expensive quotes considering what you're putting in.

Have you looked at Volvo V50s?

Or, get a Jag.  X Type.

I'll be trying Adrian flux later, need time for a callback as they don't quote online. I was with them for years when I had my pickup.

Didn't look at a volvo, but it's basically the same as my wife's focus underneath I believe.

Will also try moneysupermarket too. I've not done any serious searches yet/amended occupation (but mine is limited to what I can type really...)

I also can't fathom why quotes are so high. An x type is also a bit too old...

2008, ideally under 90k miles.

Must be diesel, and fairly roomy. Budget of 4k max, 3500 better.

I'm liking the look of a citroen C4 grand Picasso at the moment. Would like a Ford really, but the equivalent galaxy is more money for the same.

I like the Peugeot 2 litre diesel the fords/Peugeot (obviously!) and I think it's in the citroen too. Happy with a smaller cc though, ie the 1.6HDI. it's a bit feeble (driven one) but perfectly adequate for my needs.

Fully open to other suggestions though!

I'll be trying Adrian flux later, need time for a callback as they don't quote online. I was with them for years when I had my pickup.

Didn't look at a volvo, but it's basically the same as my wife's focus underneath I believe.

Will also try moneysupermarket too. I've not done any serious searches yet/amended occupation (but mine is limited to what I can type really...)

I also can't fathom why quotes are so high. An x type is also a bit too old...

Try Chris Knotts, as well. They were best on the corrodo first time round.

2008, ideally under 90k miles.

Must be diesel, and fairly roomy. Budget of 4k max, 3500 better.

I'm liking the look of a citroen C4 grand Picasso at the moment. Would like a Ford really, but the equivalent galaxy is more money for the same.

I like the Peugeot 2 litre diesel the fords/Peugeot (obviously!) and I think it's in the citroen too. Happy with a smaller cc though, ie the 1.6HDI. it's a bit feeble (driven one) but perfectly adequate for my needs.

Fully open to other suggestions though!

Do you need a diesel? how many miles do you do PA, and what sort of journeys?

I honestly thing the cut-off for diesels being 'better value' in mileage is increasing all the time - I'm about to be a driving instructor doing probably 16k miles a year and I'm 85% certain I'm going to get a petrol.

Gearbox preference?

What about a Saab 9-3?  Might be scraping it but a Passat?

Saab is a good shout - not a great deal of aftermarket support but as they're all vauxhalls anyway it doesnt matter that much.

Passats of that era are alright as well, just be wary of the stupid electric handbrakes.

Tell you what, Shmook, send me a PM with your postcode, budget and requirements (mileage, seats, doors, size, towing capacity if required, powaaaaah, etc etc) and I'll make some suggestions from the wonder that is Autotrader.

Got burnt with a passat, don't fancy another...

Saab = vauxhall = no. Will not buy a vauxhall. Don't like them, never have. Every one I've ever had experience with has been trouble. And their dealers suck *albatross*. Big time. Here anyway (I'm looking at you, Perry's).

Don't want anything VAG. Fnar. Parts and servicing are silly. No offence tink :)

Tink, I'll be doing maybe 15k a year. A lot of B roads, some A roads, some motorway.

Gearbox, auto would be a treat, I've had a few, and realise they rob some MPG, but I don't mind. If it does over 35 mpg I'll be happy as that's what I'm getting now, max.

I'm a ford guy at heart. I like how simple they are. But I know they won't do a billion miles like a French diesel.

PM inbound, but most details are here!

Archived