My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The heater resistor has gone in my car... thankfully it's relatively easy to get to in the car just not easy to get hold of earliest I can get one is Wednesday! Sooooo it's going to be fun when I have to demist the windscreen at 4am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be worse, could have waited until January before failing...

Very good point. Thankfully I had a brainwave. My fiancé has a Mondeo and they use the same resistor so I've pinched hers and she can have the new one!

Anyone know the best way to remove half a locking wheel nut from a wheel bolt? Weld something onto the nut and pray?

Hammer a socket over the top of it. That's how we do it at work but you'll likely ruin the socket you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammer a socket over the top of it. That's how we do it at work but you'll likely ruin the socket you use.

I did think about that but would that work with this type of bolt with nothing really for the socket to grip?  It would have to be so tight they practically fuse together surely? (Giggedy)

bu2VbNS.jpg

One of Gator Grip things with the sliding pins to fit random shapes? I've not used one but they don't give an air of being too solid.  Worth a shot though if I can get hold of one.

I assume it has been done with a gun but no one is admitting to it.

I feel for you, that's the worst.

Looking at the picture, it looks like its wheel bolts? (thread goes through the wheel into the hub, thread comes out with wheel bolt?) Also looks like it's an older style VW / multi spline bit whats broken off inside?

Get a chisel, tap the broken snapped segment the 'wrong' way in order to loosen it off - use a buttload of plusgas and concussive maintenance.

That SHOULD get the broken bit out, then take it to whatever manufacturer garage it is and ask them to take the locking nut off - they should have a master set.

ALL THE PLUS GAS. And freeze and release stuff. Don't bother with WD40. Plus gas.

Thanks guys.  I will get some Plus Gas and find a chisel.  Then fail miserably and take it to BMW ha.

What about these?  Should work shouldn't it? If no luck with the chisel?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip-Remover-394001/dp/B0000CCXVZ/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1476734222&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=plusgas

Also, how nasty is Plus Gas?  If I drown my wheel in it, will I need a load of water to rinse it away?

I wouldn't leave it on forever but it's not nasty, as far as I know. It's just super effective penetrating (fnar) fluid, not wheel acid. 

Those Irwin thingos are good but they're not the most slender of things. I've got a set and they're alright for face mounted stuff but I personally doubt they'd fit into the recess for the wheel.

Why d'you need the wheel off?

The chekdisk idea is a decent option actually just gotta get a cable Ehen I get paid. The PITA is when u go into system repair via f8 it doesn't seem to consistently recognise my mouse so I can't access CMD prompt. At this point I will be opening up and cleaning the laptop soon coz of the KB issue and look at doing the mouse buttons at the sane time. Least it BSODing means I have incentive to do it all

I'm hoping the friend with boot disk abd reinstall disc will appear at somepoint today or tomorrow and I'm hoping that I won't need a key on reinstall but who knows with windows.

I just have to rearrange my flat and stuff to fibd a way to get the pc somewhere I can use it and have decent light and stuff need the landlord to get this *fruitcage* chair he put in and get rid. It's *fruitcage* huge where it was originally meant ypu couldn't open the left door of my built in wardrobe and it takes up more space than my chest of drawers. The thing is wider than the door so I can't move it myself blasted thing. I really want it out so I can move the table and have my pc at the end of the bed and just run a long wire for the keyboard . Iv got a really nice bed so I can just use the motor to adjust my position so I'm sat up and maybe bite the bullet and get a hosp style tray table thing.

With the stupid poxy chair gone I could totally then use the HD projector that's in storage.

HMMM arnies poll is a 720HD projector capable of 8 by 6 foot screen size something that would be awesome hooked up to ny desktop"

Archived