1911 Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a TM Hi-capa, and install a metal slide -- you got yourself a full metal. Infact get yourself any of the SVI/STI style 1911 (or 2011 like some prefer to call it) gun, it comes with a metal lower receiver, so all you need is a metal slide.

Or you can always buy a full metal WE 1911 and hicapa.

If you get a metal slide for a TM 1911, it won't quite be full metal because the frame and outer barrel are still plastic. It'll cost a bit to upgrade a TM to full metal, but not as much as making a WA full metal. Throw in the price difference of the magazines, and that's even more you'll have to pay for the WA. I'd go with the TM M1911A1, PGC metal slide and frame, Tanio Koba TM 1911 outer barrel/Shooters Design Hi-Capa chamber and outer barrel (Titleist has the SD set and it worked with his TM 1911 w/ some minor filing, IIRC), maybe some upgraded springs, piston head, and loading nozzle.

As for the WE clones, while they are okay for those who must have metal GBB's for a cheap price, they really don't compare well to the TM originals (haven't tried the 1911, but several reports of failure after a few hundred rounds put me off).

Sorry for such a noobish question, but what is the difference between the early and late models of the MEU(SOC) 1911?

The grip safties, sights, and hammers are different. Some small markings on the frame are different. The Early Version doesn't have front slide serrations.

...how do you measure the cycle times?

I used Audacity, having recorded the sound of the gun cycling.

and Snowman, if after upgrading a gun you were able to lower the cycling time by one third, in what way is it impossible for that to be bettered?

Not sure I understand your point. I wasn't saying you can't improve on that, I was saying that, even if you knocked 5/100ths off, you won't be able to detect the difference, not that there isn't one or that you can't measure it.

For some reason, I can't stand the marui hi-capa and I want trades.  :P

In that case, you need a WA SVI.

Cheers.

Edited by snowman

scw vs magna round 2.

Here ya go, I'm saying I can hear a definite difference, prove me wrong.

The only difference between the guns is the spring, and as for the difference between the metal kits, just ask Phoenix360mute, the Raptor wasnt fitted very well, the contact between slide and frame is rough compared to the springfield.

cheers.

scw vs magna round 2.

Here ya go, I'm saying I can hear a definite difference, prove me wrong.

:) I can HEAR a difference, but that's not the same as saying one kicks harder than the other!

Which is which, btw? :blink:

Re : the M93R - I'd definitely have one, probably (;)) as it looks to have better kick than the KSC one, judging from the video, but post-production is a wonderful thing... :unsure:

Cheers.

Edited by snowman
:) I can HEAR a difference, but that's not the same as saying one kicks harder than the other!

Which is which, btw?  :blink:

The silver is the magna, and it doesnt kick as hard simply because the slide moves a fair bit slower, it makes two defined sounds and you can witness it in both back and forward position, the Kimber makes one defined crack and is more of a blur.

reread your own quote, he said it will cost a bit to upgrade a TM, but NOT AS MUCH as making a WA full metal.

cheers, hbc.

edit - Im looking to buy one black 15 rounder magazine, one silver 15 rounder (old style) and one Wilson bumpered mag (old or new), cheers.

Edited by hardboiledcop

eh?, not as much? 228>167. I think your confused 1911. He's saying it's not as much to make a TM full metal than it is to make a WA full metal. Which I still don't get. Why do PGC charge so much for some of their WA kits when the TM kit is only $167? Is it because WA owners are used to paying more? Or that they figure the TM 1911 has a bigger market and can afford to sell at a lower price as they are selling more? Probably the latter.

Edited by hitmanNo2
The silver is the magna, and it doesnt kick as hard simply because the slide moves a fair bit slower, it makes two defined sounds and you can witness it in both back and forward position, the Kimber makes one defined crack and is more of a blur.

mmmmm - To me, even looking back, the silver gun makes a better sound and looks to kick more than the black one...

I'm not making a case for Magna being superior to the SCW systems, just saying I can't really tell any significant difference.

From your video, I prefer the silver gun's sound.

Cheers.

Edited by snowman

well, i use it for the left hand gun (ambi safety only on one of em) so i just use it to save money for a holster, and show the gangsta bling bling of coure :P

but yeah, works a treat, and if you dont have it concealed carry (i.e only on the belt, gut the rest of the gun outside youre pants) then its pretty strudy on there, but it does feel to slip while running tho, so its a bit of a holdit-while-you-run job :D