1911 Picture Thread

oh damn, did you get that stupid tape WGCshop uses? did all that excess glue stick on? dude, same thing happened to me but after many hours of wiping it I got it back to normal, check page 152 for my pics.

Anyway I used goo gone, paper towels (with a little water), and Q-tips. Just be careful and don't let the goo gone stay on for too long, it leaves a shinyness to the metal like plastic.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trfo2o: Nah, I got it used from SWORD09 for $100; great deal and a great guy. Also, yes, I did see your pics, they've been my wallpaper for the past week. They were really the ones that made me want to get a WA! Love the slide too. Gonna try that goo stuff, thanks!

hbc: Thanks for the help, I THINK it's metal, not really sure though.

Edited by ghost_x3

Yeah thanks HBC, always thought it was metal since it felt cold and all. Again, why would I want to respray it tho, just wanted to make the trades visible. They are slightly, as there was a barely visible indent of where they are, so I sorta just carved it out, doesn't look too bad.

Heh, I'm flattered :D , all my monies are belong.. etc etc... ;)

The only thing I'll say, youll get a much nicer finish if you strip the entire finish and apply just one or two coats.. as with most collectables, the more layers of paint applied, the more detail that is lost..

I don't know whether the bumps around the front of the slide are remainders from the glue left by the customs friendly applications, but they would also certainly be removed by soda bath, leaving you with a perfect finish.

Of course, there is the best answer of all, metal kit :D Nothing like a full metal 1911, nothing whatsoever :D

cheers, hbc.

What HBC said. Strip all the paint and then re-apply a couple coats on the clean "canvas". You'd get a better and more even finish that way. Never tried the soda bath method though. What kind of soda are we talking about? And will it really leave the plastic and metal parts unaffected? I seem to recall science experiments from my youth showing a copper penny getting corroded and eventually dissolving away in a glass of coke.

Mathub uses this method, I believe he uses Caustic Soda or 'Lye'. it is a caustic, non-solvent based stripper. Can be picked up in most hardware stores.

cheers.

Not even a RS 5-7?

God no, if I were to opitomise ugliness, I would show a picture of the 5-7..

Scratch that, It'd be Whoopi Goldberg weilding a 5-7 ;)

Edited by hardboiledcop
Mathub and hitmanNo2 should have a V10 shoot out........

oh wait.....

Hitman's doesn't work.....

(oooo sick burn)

Well, my V10 seems to be working now so :P Still has a couple of niggles to work out but thats always the way.

Mathub, did you manage to fit the copper clip in your slide ?

Gack! My EYES!!!

I don't suppose you have a link to a guide on how use it properly?

You'll have to ask Mathub, I've never done it myself..

edit - but id expect that if you ask in the hardware store, they would know, I assume it would simply be a bowl of water + caustic soda.

cheers.

Edited by hardboiledcop

well, in one of the magazines I got called "combat handguns" they got these ads for these great low light visible night sights you can install onto a 1911A1 type(they pictured a kimber though-didn't say they were specifically for the kimber) anyways it would be cool to have a pair.