Night Vision Goggles

Gunner-Blaze

SWAT mag said Weaver's $200 NOD gives Gen 4 images...

But many people I talked to said that's farfetched and is extreamly exaggerated...

I have that Weaver unit (Weaver Nightview, I'm guessing you're talking about), as well as a gen 1. I'd disagree that the gen 1 is useless, I've used to to good effect to scout areas, and a couple of my teammates have NV with reticles on their sniper rifles that they've used effectively. I've even once used my gen 1 NV to spot for a sniper, who took about 6 blind shots to hit 2 targets while i adjusted his aim for him.

Unfortunately, I've never used a gen 3 or 4, so I can't say that the Weaver is as good as a gen 4, but I think the SWAT mag did claim something similar to that. The image on my gen 1 is sharper, although perhaps it doesn't illuminate in the dark as well. The sharper image is a tradeoff for seeing further but fuzzier. Two other things I didn't like about it the Weaver. The IR illuminator isn't strictly on/off, it has a bunch of stages (10? 20?) of illumination. While it's nice for fine tuning, it takes a while to get to the max setting. If you're playing against others with NV, that's a long time to turn on/off when they can spot your IR shining like a beacon. Also, it's range seemed limited, maybe 60-70 yards. That *could* be because I was using it indoors, in a basically pitch black environment, and the way the unit generates the image, different than standard NV. I haven't used it outside with a full moon, it may be much more effective then.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gen3 is so far ahead of Gen 1, from personal experience. However the NV unit Cali let my try at a game was nice, very nice, for the price.

Honestly, NV at best makes night feel like dusk. It's not at all like the movies. I'd love to get a PVS14, and probably will in a year or two, maybe sooner. But it's not a cheap purchase by any means. When I did use a Gen 3 at a game it was very fun, but honestly I found just letting my eyes adjust and ears do the work I was just as effective indoors. Getting used to NV is not easy, I felt handicapped when I was using it, because it's like viewing the world through a toilet paper tube. Very easy to run into things.

You just have to get used to it, but if you practice you can move around quite well. I used a cheap Yukon Gen1 on my left eye with my RDS on my weapon in my right, and still was able to move around. The trick is not to look at either, but to use your natural stereoscopic vision (I think this is the right word), and the RDS image will overlap over the NOD image. Try focusing only on the object you want to shoot or you destination point. Once you get the hang of it it works. Your brain takes care of the rest. It's like when you learn to keep both eyes open when looking through a scope.

^^god i bet that was scary.

fact is though, unless you're in total blackness, movement without nv is just as easy, if not more so. one just has to get used to relying on sound and recognising movement. it really depends then on what you want to spend. try russian optics (google and get a good overview of prices, some importers will charge up the yingyang for shipping), don't buy from ebay, and ideally get your hands on some gen 1/2 units so you can try them and actually understand how restricting nv can be. its alot of money to spend on a green eye then never use it.

good luck

A GEN3 NVG/M can be in arms reach if you put enough patience (and of course, money) into it I guess. I was fortunate enough to win an NE6015 (PVS-14) in eBay a few weeks back for a little over $2K. It's still a good, hefty price, but if you save enough, you just might get lucky.

Like any other tools of warfare, use of NV takes training and diligence (in application/practice). NVs were made to supplement your other senses when in darkness, not replace them totally.

Gen3 ITT NE6015 Night Vision Monocular: PVS-14 Equivalent

- Weapons mountable via a 20mm RIS

- Camera/Camcorder adaptable and would be great for photography.

- Unit has built in Illuminator which enhances your ability to read maps and operate in confined spaces.

- Power source is 2 "AA" batteries.

- Field of view is 40 Degrees. 1X magnification.

- Diopter adjustment +2 to -6.

- Eye relief is 25mm.

- Resolution is 57-64 LP/MM.

- Water Proof to 3 feet for 30 minutes.

67375501-S.jpg

67380418-M.jpg

The Backyard

67374504-M.jpg

The Back Porch (raining outside)

67374501-M.jpg

With a TA01 ACOG (mag.4x) as sight co-witness

68606966-M.jpg

68606981-M.jpg

68606969-M.jpg

• 7 months later...

Oooh, necropost! :D

I've played a few night games this year without NVD (or what you Brits seem to call NOD) and couldn't help but feel totally useless without it. I made it a point to find a decent gen 2+ monocular or better for next season.

I am in the process of buying a "mil spec" gen 2+ D-300 monocular for $1,400 CAD. Comes with a head mount, weapon mount, Pelican case, and IR laser. This was the best deal I could find, and a new D-300-MS is going for about $1,200 USD without those accessories. I've bid on several auctions on eBay lately but was never fortunate enough to win them, and a lot of sellers in the States won't ship anything beyond gen 1 outside their borders (stupid ITAR!).

I disagree with the above statements that gen 1 is useless. It is far better than nothing at all, even if you need to turn on the IR. I decided that I was going to splurge and I'll probably be the only one in the province with a higher generation unit, at least for now. Next season I'm going to try encouraging more people to invest in inexpensive gen 1s and I'll host more night games. They're far more exciting IMHO!

Now, to find an inexpensive EOTech 551 to cowitness with the D-300....

I have a pair of ATN vipers from new, on there own, they're ok, good for medium-close combat and built in IR is pretty good, will do for scouting etc, good 100yard viewing in dark enviroment.

But, I added this baby for my MP5A4 for my night loadout,

DSCN2956.jpg

DSCN2957.jpg

It needs respraying but the torch is only 100MW, doubles and even tripples the range of my NVG's and makes it very very easy to aim.

I've noticed that white BB's glow under IR lights almost like traser rounds so it makes it very easy to aim :D

I have a pair of ATN vipers from new, on there own, they're ok, good for medium-close combat and built in IR is pretty good, will do for scouting etc, good 100yard viewing in dark enviroment.

But, I added this baby for my MP5A4 for my night loadout,

It needs respraying but the torch is only 100MW, doubles and even tripples the range of my NVG's and makes it very very easy to aim.

I've noticed that white BB's glow under IR lights almost like traser rounds so it makes it very easy to aim :D

Hehe well at least SETAS recon guys will be able to double there vision when your around. :P

I really want some form of night vision piece, but Im stuck as to what to go for. Money obviously comes into it.

Not to be rude, but "they're ######" isn't constructive enough for me.

Gen1 is better than nothing and when Gen 2 scopes come in at £1000+, then I'm sure there are gen 1 scopes out there that would do justice.

with a IR torch the range and clarity of Gen 1 can be about as good as Gen 2,

I got my ATN's as a present from my bro from opticsplus, ignore free shipping it was £155ish inc shipping to UK, IR torch is £85 brand new inc shipping from flecktarn,

Great night kick for my night loadout.

only problem is using IR makes you show up on other peoples NVG

See thats more useful. Not that I was aiming my "useless" comment to you Hellfire8.

I know this sounds daft, but I refuse to use a torch in any dark situation. It might come a time I will, but not yet and don't intend to :)

I'm all about NV, even if that means the IR is required and shows up. It's not even in the same league as having a bright torch attached to your gun :P

My ATN Viper was terrible (at best) but my Yukon MVT monocular is awesome with an IR flashlight (okay, illuminator).

There's another team in state who has mostly gen 2/3 - the trick is to turn off the IR illuminator so they can't see you at night, and use the flashlight illuminator to play, using it only when you need to see into a position.

Gen 3's are truely amazing! I was fortunate enough to get to look through Tank's at a game over the summer. The image was just like daytime. Just like it looks in the movies. I want some, but I think the novelty would wear off soon as I only do one or two night games a year.

My ATN Viper was terrible (at best) but my Yukon MVT monocular is awesome with an IR flashlight (okay, illuminator).

There's another team in state who has mostly gen 2/3 - the trick is to turn off the IR illuminator so they can't see you at night, and use the flashlight illuminator to play, using it only when you need to see into a position.

Well sod that im not gonna pay $349 for them....

Anyone in the States know where i can buy them for less? :unsure:

Oh an ships to the UK?

If it isnt gen3 Dont buy it

All i have to say based on my personal experiences

And dont leave with out a IR Surefire, Which makes it 10x better....

gen 2+ maybe, but anything under

Your really missing alot

Well im jus a kid who has an ordinary job stacking shelves at a supermarket, i dont have the cash for Gen 3's..

Plus its for night games so i can go out on Recon, i dont need alot of clear imaging cause i can work out what there gonna do anyways..

Plasticmag: Do these guys ship out to the UK?

OK, after finally getting my hands on Gen3 NV (PVS-14), I can personally confirm that claims that the Weaver Nightview has Gen3 image quality are false. It's not even close, I can't imagine that anyone could claim different unless my unit is faulty. Maybe I can somehow take a picture through each with my digi cam later.

I completely agree when you're playing against NV users. I bought a Surefire M1 and it works great. Keep the IR illuminator use to a minimum. I've spotted opposition often during night games because they were using their illuminators often.

Note on the M1, though. With Gen3's, it does a great job illuminating and the momentary thumbswitch is great. In the NV thread at AR15.com, I believe the Surefire was generally tested to have some of the best performance, while the Pentagon IR flashlight was pretty bad. With my Gen 1+ Yukon though, the Surefire is horrible. I guess the Yukon just isn't sensitive enough, so it only seems to illuminate within 10-15 feet with it.

Archived