Official Metal Gear Solid Discussion

Fuser

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guards would need blinders and probably have to wear crappy earplugs...

The area has to be big so that the guards can patrol and not know where the enemy might come from.

Or we could just replicate the "Alert" parts of the game where you can actually go Rambo... like near the end of MGS2 in arsenal gear.

Wow. That's almost as logical as the premise behind the Metal Gear games.

Almost.

It's a horrid idea.

If you want to have an MGS-esque game: Give the guards an area sufficiently large enough to guard that they cannot be everywhere at once. Make it difficult for the guards or the 'snake' to hole up in any one area. The snake gets a pistol and a rubber knife/bayonet. The guards get the usual weapons. The snake has to take a piece of paper with a set number of objectives on it and circle and time-date which one he is going for, so that the guards do not know what the snake's objective is. (The snake should carry this piece of paper on him and reveal his objective as soon as the game is over. Either when he is killed or completes the objective and then escapes. If there are marshals, then they should be privy, if not the creators, of the objectives for the snakes.)

The objectives could be, but should not nessesarily be limited to:

-Planting one (or more) bomb(s) (there should be appropriate props to stand in as the bombs)

-Assassinating a critical personality (the guard team should have a distinctive looking 'leader' who should be armed only with a pistol, an ocelot, if you will)

-Wiping out the guard team

-Photo-recon of technology or positions

The snake and ocelot can both take three or more hits (anywhere) and each guard can take two (to the chest and extremities) or one (to the head). Knife kills against any player, whether they're a guard, snake, or ocelot, are instant kills. Invincible, unarmed medics might be considered as an addition, who may revive guards (but not snakes or ocelots) an infinite number of times. Rules should be further created to govern the use of medics.

Guards should always greatly out-number the snakes and there should never be more ocelots than snakes. The only time there should be as many ocelots as snakes is when there is only one snake.

The snakes and guards should be fairly uniform in appearance (with small allowances for personal taste, items, weapons, and budget), while the ocelots should be unique in appearance from both the guards and each other, but they should also carry enough of the themes of the guards (coloration, cut, camouflage pattern, &c.) to be easily recognizable as being a part of the guard-force.

If there is more than one snake and one of them is 'captured' (killed and taken to a certain area), after a set amount of time, the snake must give up his sheet of paper stating his objective (or a nearby marshal should inform the guards and ocelots of what the snake's objective is).

The rules should be enforced based on their spirit, not on their letter (meaning that some rules should be ignored at times and others should be invented mid-game). All players should seek to abide by the spirit of the rules.

EDIT: To summarize the list of players:

-Snakes: Operatives armed with a pistol and rubber knife/bayonet tasked with achieving one (or more) objective(s) and then escaping. Tougher than guards. Should look uber-sneaky with very low-profile, low-drag, and very high-speed load-outs. Cannot be revived, even with Medics or under Medic Rules. Should operate either as Lone Wolves or as a team (but not both). They stamd alone together.

-Ocelots: Operatives armed with a pistol tasked with defeating the Snakes. As tough as Snakes. Should look somewhat outlandish, but still be recognizable as part of the force tasked with thwarting the Snakes. Cannot be revived, even with Medics or Medic Rules. Should be the leaders of the Guards, as Lone Wolves, or some as both. They are on the same team as the Guards.

-Guards: Operatives with a normal load-out (riflemen, grenadier, sniper, support, &c.) tasked with defeating the Snakes. The weakest of the bunch, but can be revived an unlimited number of times if the game is played with Medics or Medic Rules. Should operate as a normal team either with the Ocelots in command or with their own command structure (in the case that the Ocelots decide to play as Lone Wolves). They are on the same team as the Ocelots.

There could, of course, be two teams of Ocelots/Guards or two teams of Snakes (operating unaware of the other's existence) or the Guards and Ocelots could be in their own teams by themselves.

Woah, dude. I was kind of kidding about getting over a hundred TV boxes...its not like I have them lying in my backyard waiting for this chance :D .

But thanks for the encyclopedia entry-sized post of your idea. I love the whole treasure hunt theme that having written down objectives would give to the game. Honestly, I was only joking about having a game like that, no need to write a manual on it. And if I did, it wouldnt be so much about rules that just nonsense fun.

hmm, i played some more this morning after i got home....

this sucks :( i was under the assuption, i was going to be able to choose how i go about this (sneaky or gunblazing through the jungle) but all these sisies are telling me through the radio how i can't be seen by anyone, yada yada yada...

pfff :(

what's subsistence?

and actually, i have my ps2 hooked up to the interweb (why i got mgs3 instead of 2, cause it says online capabilities on the box :P)

in any case, imho f the sneaky approach, i got to the facility where sokolov is kept just now, and killed all but one of them :P

take that kgb ! :D

Subsistence is an updated version of MGS3. The main game is the same, with the only difference being that you now have a new camera system that makes the game play more like Splinter Cell. Much better for the jungle, apparently.

There's a also a boat load of extras, including ports of the two original Metal Gear games from the 80s.

And, you get Metal Gear Online. The normal version of MGS3 only has online capabilities in the sense that you can download extra camouflage. Subsistence has a full online play mode.

what's subsistence?

and actually, i have my ps2 hooked up to the interweb (why i got mgs3 instead of 2, cause it says online capabilities on the box :P)

in any case, imho f the sneaky approach, i got to the facility where sokolov is kept just now, and killed all but one of them :P

take that kgb !  :D

My approach exactly in my first playthrough of the game. Something like 25 hours, 320+ kills, spotted in every single area of the game.

:D

i have my ps2 hooked up to the interweb (why i got mgs3 instead of 2, cause it says online capabilities on the box :P)

If you got the regular MGS3 and not MGS3: Subsistence, then you should look for your receipt and return it. MGS3 has online capabilities, but that's only online camoflauge downloading...MGS3:subsistence has the online multiplayer disc. Getting the old one is kinda a waste of money since the new one is out .

Archived