Battlestar Galactica

Aidan

Star Trek didn't have a definative beginning or ending, though. There was no over-arching quest to find earth. In The Next Generation there was trying to get humanity acquitted by Q and Deep Space Nine had the Prophets and the Dominion War. And Voyager had trying to get to earth (ironically enough). None of them, except for TNG, has given rise to any spin-off. Not even so much as a movie (except for Janeway's five seconds in Nemesis and the USS Defiant's five minutes in First Contact).

True, but still a franchise existed because of TNGs' success..... Thats the point I'm trying to make and correlate with BSG. ;)

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except TNG didn't end with the Enterprise arriving at earth (or going anywhere). It ended with the Enterprise preventing the universe from ceasing to exist.

EDIT: Really, the franchise exists because of the popularity of the original Star Trek. Which, again, had no over-arching storyline.

So Jag, are you arguing that BSG should stay on the air?

Ultimately it's a decision by the creators to bring their story to an end. Which I respect, there's nothing worse than stringing fans along. I think for fans they'd want endless episodes of BSG to keep them company, but like a good novel there's a point where things start to come together to reach some sense of finality.

There were some slow/bad episodes in season 2 and 3 (I'm looking at you "Black Market" and "A Day In The Life").

mmyeah, maybe so... however i always felt there was enough in each episode to ponder about.

But having 4 seasons means that there will be a sense of moving towards an ultimate goal rather than stringing viewers along.

yes thats very true...

i really got into Lost for the first 12 episodes when that started, but then i read they were already working on season 2 and thinking about 3 and 4... sod that! so i didnt even bother following the rest lol

as said, 4 seasons is probably for our own good lol, look at Tour of Duty ( god id give an arm and a leg for a PAL DVDbox of that :D ) for example, i rate that as one the best written series ever, and it only ran for 3 season aswell, wich is probably why it was so good as a series, because it didnt get to repetitive.

so erm...what this about hooverbikes then?? :D i cant really remember much of the original BSG series, besides Mr. Peck waving his blaster around alot, and the galactica looking like a long piece of scaffolding (spelling?) with a large with ball on the front lol :P

The hoverbikes were from the episode where the Galactica (old version) reaches earth, look it up on youtube, it's embarassingly awful.

That said even Ron Moore thinks Black Market was a really bad episode. I tend to side with the show runners on that.

Has anyone heard of Beyond the Red Line? It's a free game where you vipers around killing toasters. The graphics are amazing, but the game play seems a little week.

This isn't really the games fault, i think its more to do with me having to deal with gravity while flying planes in other games. obviously there is no gravity in the game, which makes the vipers rather too manouverable.

anyways, google fu Beyond the red line, and it explains what you need to download. There are two big downloads, freespaceopen and BtRL. It all free, and you can't really say no to flying a viper ;)

As for Sledge's comments, he is entitled to his opinion. Nothing wrong with criticism for the series.

hmmm :D will go looking for them on youtube after i post this lol

I`m not saying it didnt have slow episodes (if black market is the one im thinking about, cant recheck it, as season 2 seems to have vanished from the web :( ), but i never got the feeling "hmm, this episode sucks" while i was watching them, each one contributed to the story imho, be it the bigger plot, or the little things that make you think about things.

I found that alot of elements are mirrored to our current world, with the whole religious mumbo jumbo as only one example.

edit

As for Sledge's comments, he is entitled to his opinion. Nothing wrong with criticism for the series.

sure, nothing wrong with criticism, which was noted

But if he can rant/ridicule people who criticise, in topics of his intrests, that if they dont like it, they shouldnt read/post in it, he can damn well do the same instead of trying to derail/kill threads as per usual MO...

roflolcopter, just saw a glimps on youtube of the hoverbikes (couldnt find anything right away searching for hoverbike thouigh) and i vaguely remember those yeah :D

however the galactica looks nothing like i remembered... :unsure: wth kinda of show am i thinking of then?? anyone got a clue? it was long and thin, almost like scaffolding, with one or two giant balls on the front, and a rectangular block at the end with a bunch engines at the back. vitual cookie for he who can tell me lol.

also, did they ever make an animated series or spinoff of bsg? i remember an old 80s cartoon about a sqaudron in a space carrier type ship, wich come to think of it now, looked alot like vipers :unsure: iirc, it had some egonesque (ghostbusters) looking charactar in it

The demo is release Seki. It has multiplayer and a singleplayer campain.

The dog fighting part can get tedius for me. However this is because im used to the atmospheric (and most lilkly unrealistic) flight from battlefield 1942.

No offense here Sturgis, i had trouble reading your reply about sledges comment.

From what i think you where saying, just retaliating probably wont solve anything.

No offense here Sturgis, i had trouble reading your reply about sledges comment.

From what i think you where saying, just retaliating probably wont solve anything.

retaliating? :huh: im just stating the obvious here mate, but whatever, i never intended this to go further then my original post, it was directed to sledge and sledge only ;).

but yeah, that game sounds nice, and it has multiplayer? will have a look for it.

So Jag, are you arguing that BSG should stay on the air?

Hardly. I'm just saying that there was someplace for a Star Trek sequel/franchise to go after Star Trek. I'm not sure that Battlestar Galactica really has anywhere to go... excepting the Colonials' reactions to being on earth (in whichever state they find it in).

I've still got the original Freespace 2--I never really had any problems adapting to 0G flight.

But now that I've taken up flight sims, I can't fly a plane worth *beep*. I'm doing well with the helos though :huh:

I still have the original TIE Fighter (I also have Microsoft's Space Simulator laying around somewhere... that game deserved future versions as much as Flight Simulator did). I don't have problems flying either aircraft or spacecraft... in simulators. No problems with aircraft IRL, either. Except helos. But that's just because I get motion sick, because it feels like I'm playing an FPS... only I'm actually moving when I move the stick forward. Helos are still more awesomer than other aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...

it's not an spin off really, but a tv movie for 4 hours that explains what happened to Cain/Pegasus from the point of the start of the second cylon war to the point where they meet up with the galactica.

There's been talks of a spin off series called Caprica that's a political drama that takes place at the start of the first cylon war and follow's the Adama's father/grandfather.

• 1 month later...
however the galactica looks nothing like i remembered...  :unsure:  wth kinda of show am i thinking of then?? anyone got a clue? it was long and thin, almost like scaffolding, with one or two giant balls on the front, and a rectangular block at the end with a bunch engines at the back. vitual cookie for he who can tell me lol.

Are you thinking of something like this?

replica-eagle-l.jpg

If so, the series was called 'Space:1999'. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I was a kid. Cheese and all.

• 3 months later...

Also in the US, well 7 major cities, they are doing free screenings of the movie on the 12th of this month, for free. Though tickets ran out within hours. I was lucky enough to snag a pair for me and my girlfriend, I'll let you how it is when I check it out.

Archived