Fog-free eyewear!

Stealthbomber

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes it is, but as it works by making water/water vapour maintain it's droplet form, it'll work for fogging too, making the microscopic vapour droplets 'bunch' together into bigger ones, instead of just condensing into a vision-obscuring layer on your lenses.

+1 to you stealthbomber, the most useful tips/tricks are often the most simple...

Exactly :) . Also I think there are two versions, one is marketed as a designated Rain repellent, and another as anti-fog but they do pretty much the same thing.

DSC_0818.jpg

I bought these a few weeks ago for wiping some dead wildlife off the inside of my car windscreen. Since then I've noticed that the part of the windscreen that I wiped has never suffered with fogging at all.

Last weekend I finally (duh!) had the bright idea to try them on my airsoft eye protection.

I've tried them on glasses, goggles and a full-face mask. The results have been nothing short of spectacular. Absolutely "holy sh**! Come and look at this, you guys!" incredible.

Everybody who was playing last Saturday stopped off at Halfords to buy a pack of their own.

I have no idea how long the effect will last but, as I say, it's kept my windscreen from fogging for over a month.

They ARE alcohol-based so you might want to try them on a corner of your glasses first and give the pad a good sniff to see if you're alergic to the smell.

Unless anybody comes up with a good reason why not, these are ALWAYS going in my kit bag from now on. 10/10

Holts Screenies. From Halfords.

Most definitely getting some!

• 2 weeks later...

well the cheapest trick which i was taught is to do the following:

[*]boil the kettle

[*]Make a cup of tea while you read this.

[*]drink tea (Becareful its hot)

[*]grab the washing up liquid

[*]pour washing up liquid into a spray bottle

[*]add boiling water 3:1 ratio to the amount of washing up liquid

[*]put lid on and shake (Put cup of tea down before this part)

[*]keep shaking till you can nolonger make bubbles

[*]leave to cool over night

[*]lightly spray on the inside of your googles

[*]wipe dry

and this is 100% effective.

I only assume this creates a substance barrier between 'lens' and 'fog'.

I have one pair of lens glasses as back up (never skirmished with them) as I have mesh goggles.

But I tried them once in house and just used a drop of fairy liquid. If that doesnt work in the field, Im going to buy 'cat-######'. Yes, 'cat-######' :P

Its more motorcycle helmets/lens.

*Wow even the word c-r-a-p isnt allowed around here. laughable.

is it common practice for a moderator (who should set examples) to be cheeky?

all you had to say was "its on the previous page" - I certainly didnt see your post as it looks like you posted same time as me.

common sense please, eh?

Yes it is normal for moderators to behave in a cheeky manner from time to time, as we find it a much more pleasant than neg reps or warnings and it keeps that warm fuzzy feeling that we have all come to love here on Arnies.

And for the record common sense is a two way street :D

• 2 months later...
Yes it is, but as it works by making water/water vapour maintain it's droplet form, it'll work for fogging too, making the microscopic vapour droplets 'bunch' together into bigger ones, instead of just condensing into a vision-obscuring layer on your lenses.

+1 to you stealthbomber, the most useful tips/tricks are often the most simple...

I know this is an old thread, but had to correct.

RainX makes several products. Among those are RainX Original and RainX anti-fog.

The original RainX Windshield water repellent is designed to cause water drops to bead up and roll off glass. It is patented and works very well on glass. It does not work to repel water drops off plastic. Nor does it repel or cure fogging.

Why not? Because the drops that cause fogging are too small to roll off with gravity or the wind. You can prove this yourself. Treat your glass windshield with RainX per directions. Then breathe on it. You will get fogging.

Most anti-fogs, including RainX antifog, have commonly available (soap like) or proprietary surfactants. These work by lowering the surface tension of water causing it to spread out in a thin layer. Exactly the opposite effect to the original RainX formula. When the water spreads out in a thin layer, you can see right through it without the light scattering effects of those microdrops that cause fogging.

Dishsoap contains surfactants. It combines with water to get under dirt and join water with grease to clean dishes. It will act as an anti-fog, but is not as effective as the better products designed for this purpose.

In summary, anti-rain products are hydrophobic (water hating) and anti-fog products are hydrophilic (water attracting).

Archived