God bless America

kristmen

I think the possibilities of Stem cell research (cures for cancer, helping build organs instead of having to wait for transplants that might not even work, etc.) outweight the "dead embryo" thing.

It's not like they're going to take people's embryos for science, they will be breeding their own.

Wrong. I did an entire report on it. Every embryo used was donated to them. No human embryo has been cloned yet, and as long as republicans remain president, it will never happen.

The whole cures for cancer, build organs, blah blah blah, are already here. Adult stem cells (which I doubt any of you people know since 99.99999% of people on favor of stem cell research never bother to actually study every aspect) are very similar, and can cure stuff like leukemia. Build organs? We don't need that, we can get them from cadavers or donors.

We are pretty much damning someones life so someone else can live. How about you be one of those useless "dead embryos". You can no longer exist so that poopies like Micheal J. Fox can continue to make half-assed movies! Face it, Back to the Future was the only thing he did right.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We don't need that, we can get them from cadavers or donors.

Ever heard of that person's immune system rejecting that donated organ? If the organ is "built", that won't happen.

Not to mention that there's a huge waiting list, and by the time you get to the top of the list, you could already be dead.

There are cases where the body could reject the donated organ, but if that were to happen, there are pills for the patient to take.

And the list goes by what is more urgent. If you are going to die soon without the organ, you are near the top. Don't think that our hospitals are stupid enough to just have a random waiting list with thousands of people dying for not being high up on the list.

Wrong. I did an entire report on it. Every embryo used was donated to them. No human embryo has been cloned yet, and as long as republicans remain president, it will never happen.

yes! as long as we have a conservative president, we'll never advance in certain areas of modern science that haven't been explored before! score one for the USA!

:rolleyes:

There are cases where the body could reject the donated organ, but if that were to happen, there are pills for the patient to take.

And the list goes by what is more urgent. If you are going to die soon without the organ, you are near the top. Don't think that our hospitals are stupid enough to just have a random waiting list with thousands of people dying for not being high up on the list.

Guess what that "pill" does?

It suppresses your immune system.

Did you not know that?

Can you not see the problem with people having suppressed immune systems?

Hey, you've given them a new heart, but because it's being rejected, the drugs they're taking have allowed them to get cancer. How generous of you.

As for the list, if it takes 6 months for a donar organ but you died after 5 months, I don't think it really matters how many people were before you, don't you agree?

One gaping fact that liberals overlook is that a cell really is life. They may argue that the embryo isn't human, but if you leave it be it will form into a fetus, be born, and be a functioning member of society.

Or they'll grow up in a family that hates them and wind up a criminal. Or worse, they'll grow up, become President, and organize things such that they are President for life and ban all other parties. Really, it cuts both ways.

Oh. I take it that you're against hunting, killing mosquitos and other small beasticles, and that you've never once touched anything.

Just imagine if Albert Einstein/Steven Hawking/Borat/Some guy who did something famous was an embryo that was used for embryonic stem cell research? He'd be killed, or at least not exist (depends on what the liberals prefer the term for when they destroy the embryo).

See above. It's just as likely that we'd get a tyrant as a pioneer.

it's very clear that you have all the medical knowledge you could ever ask for and that you have all the answers.

get help dude.

Without getting into the rights or wrongs of abortion, can someone answer me this: why is it that all those people protesting outside abortion clinics don't go do something useful like adopt or foster an unwanted child?

:zorro:

becouse that would require dedication and effort, most of them are probably only protesting becouse they want to look trendy in my op

:wizard:

they're just angry individuals with too much time on their hands who probably need counselling or to take up a hobby or something.

what stynies me about the whole abortion debate is that, at the root of it, whats so damn important about human life anyway?

seriously, as an agnostic, I don't see any great spitritual importance in the sanctity of human life- obviously, I don't want tos see or cause any unnecessary suffering to anyone or anything, but it just strikes me as bizarre that we can have such a scewed idea of human importance that the pro-lifers tend to support foreign wars that tend to result in tens of thousands of innocents (many of them children) getting slaughtered, while the pro-choicers are pro-abortion but anti-death penalty.

Me, I just think having the ability for women to have control over their own body and lives is more important, without being judged on those decisions, than any debate over the sanctity of the life of a bunch of unborn cells.

My wife raised an interesting point not so long ago- she argued that if it was MEN who got pregnant, the abortion debate wouldn't even be on the cards. We'd have worked out how to safely and impermanently nullify our sperm prior to sexual intercourse, and any suggestion that we should not have the choice to terminate an unborn foetus would be laughed off the statute book.

Ultimately, its just another way for men (and women) to shove women around the place.

I mean, whats the debate REALLY about? Abortion is considered bad NOT NECESSARILY because its the abortion of life, but because of all the value-judgements that go with it- promiscuity, sluttish behaviour, carelessness regarding the use of contraceptives...all of which are placed firmly at the WOMAN'S door, not the man's.

Its all just patriarchy, at the end of the day. its just a way of keeping women down by judging them on their "mistakes".

Again, if it was men who were the ones getting pregnant, this wouldn't even be being debated. Whoops, drunken fumble a few months a go doc, you know how it is- just give me the pills, and I'll be right as rain...

Awesomely well put, C_H. What would we ever do without you :D

My personal view is this - the embryo is a life. So is a tapeworm. Both of them are parasites.

Until the point where it can support it's own life, the mother, as the life support system, has every right to decide whether or not she wants to switch the system off. I do not believe in condeming a woman to a life with a child born from an accidental pregnancy, as it's not fair on either the mother or the child.

That's my view. Feel free to disagree.

nope, I agree wholefheartedly- I don't see the merit in forcing adults into an unpleasant and potentially catastrohic situation because they either made a mistake, or worse, had their choice taken away from them in the form of rape. I do not see how this is fair on anyone, least of all the child, and least of all the mother. Sod "morality"- the people who decide what's "moral" ordinarily aren't the ones with their backs against the wall, so to speak.

You choose not to have an abortion cos you think its "wrong". Good for you. you choose to have an abortion because its what you think is "right" good for you.

Society, paticularly the allegedly "free" socieities of the western world, are spectacularly good at passing judgement on the behaviour of others based not off the circumstances that the other people find themselves in, but on whether or not, irrespective of circumstance and situation, we, as the interfering busy-bodies we all secretly are, think its "right" that other people should behave in that way, or that people should be punished for their non-societally sanctioned deviant behaviour, such as, for example, a female sleeping with someone outside of the constraints of marriage.

Its lunacy, when you think about it...

Archived