Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

Are you planning to weld it from the back or the front?

Have you discovered whether the handle and the shaft come apart?

From the front. If you look at killians pic im going to weld along the edge of the part that has snapped off onto the slide itself. only a small amount as it wont need to be amazingly strong.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the front. If you look at killians pic im going to weld along the edge of the part that has snapped off onto the slide itself. only a small amount as it wont need to be amazingly strong.

Well, that's the way to do it. You're gonna have to be ultra-neat with welding though. Better to braze it IMO.

It looks damn cool though :P Seriously considering ordering a few hicaps / a new hopup bucking and a Susat off UN. Co or WGC. Can get it all for £100

Good plan! :)

The best thing I did was to install a metal Hop unit and good quality bucking into mine-

Its sorted the dodgy hop problems I was having but it might just have been bad luck as everyone else has had no complaints with their Hop-units performance.

Should have a 7.2v battery arrive 2moro so I can avoid stripping the gears.

Then it`ll be out skirmishing with me this weekend for a thorough running in. :D

Hello sorry to interupt the chain of talk here but I'm planning on getting one of these things from rsov but I have a few concerns I was really hoping you could dismiss please.

Firstly what about asw says about the new ones begin so much better?

Second I've heard about these coming through from rsov rusted and/or broken.

Aside from that can you recommend them from there? if not I'l have to wait till mid august to get it which is really not the best time for me as I have a wedding to help with. Thanks very much.

ASW have said that the current run was going to be held back because of some problems (not sure if it was general problems or just QC) but the factory was told to rush them through anyway. Supposedly the one's arriving in the UK in August should be "better" in some sense (I'd imagine the cocking handle problems people are having is a side effect of the rushing) but noone's really going to know until the ASW/AH stock turns up.

In my experience, when brit retailers say anything about 1st and 2nd batches it's usually BS designed to stop you rushing off and buying the gun from HK before the brit retailers get it in.

Look at the Warrior L96; It seems that the first batch of those were the best of all of them! ;)

Well, that's the way to do it. You're gonna have to be ultra-neat with welding though. Better to braze it IMO.

Yeh unfortunantly i dont have facilities to braze :)

I have equipment at my disposal to weld as i restore old cars as a hobby. So its going to be a small weld me thinks.

Hello sorry to interupt the chain of talk here but I'm planning on getting one of these things from rsov but I have a few concerns I was really hoping you could dismiss please.

Firstly what about asw says about the new ones begin so much better?

Second I've heard about these coming through from rsov rusted and/or broken.

Aside from that can you recommend them from there? if not I'l have to wait till mid august to get it which is really not the best time for me as I have a wedding to help with. Thanks very much.

I think it's pot luck,yes my gun had a bit of rust on it but then there was also water in the box but i don't know if that's from factory of origion or UK Customs inspection.I had missing parts which were quickly replaced without fuss{& didn't affect the performance of the gun}& the gun looks cool now.My hop up worked when adjusted & stayed in place the only problems being a BB rolling out of the barrel when the muzzle was lowered after shooting.

I've oiled my gun as i would the real thing,a good layer of oil for storage,a light squirt in the barrel & then a clean before use & light external oiling for actual use.

The quality of my gun doesn't seem to be in question but i've only put 2500 rounds through it within the first days of getting it to test it's in good working order & i haven't done more than handle it since.I'm happy with my gun & a little disappointed that other people are having issues.Good preparation of the gun before use wont neccessarily help either,if you've got a Lemon you've got a Lemon.I believe that if UK dealers are going to inspect every gun before they send them out to weed out the Lemons,then very few guns are going to get past their criteria & out to those who want to use them.

The R85 isn't a bad gun standard but remember you're getting a steel gun for a fraction of the price anyone else would charge & the bits to make "reliable" aren't that expensive.

My opinion anyway B)

FWIW, it's most likely the water/rust has been in the box since china.

In ten years of importing stuff I've honestly never suffered anything more severe than a couple of small rips in the wrapping of any of my parcels.

It'd be a bit strange if HMC&E suddenly started storing Army L85s in the showers and holding them long enough for the metal to rust.

I think it's pot luck,yes my gun had a bit of rust on it but then there was also water in the box but i don't know if that's from factory of origion or UK Customs inspection.I had missing parts which were quickly replaced without fuss{& didn't affect the performance of the gun}& the gun looks cool now.My hop up worked when adjusted & stayed in place the only problems being a BB rolling out of the barrel when the muzzle was lowered after shooting.

I've oiled my gun as i would the real thing,a good layer of oil for storage,a light squirt in the barrel & then a clean before use & light external oiling for actual use.

The quality of my gun doesn't seem to be in question but i've only put 2500 rounds through it within  the first days of getting it to test it's in good working order & i haven't done more than handle it since.I'm happy with my gun & a little disappointed that other people are having issues.Good preparation of the gun before use wont neccessarily help either,if you've got a Lemon you've got a Lemon.I believe that if UK dealers are going to inspect every gun before they send them out to weed out the Lemons,then very few guns are going to get past their criteria & out to those who want to use them.

The R85 isn't a bad gun standard but remember you're getting a steel gun for a fraction of the price anyone else would charge & the bits to make "reliable" aren't that expensive.

My opinion anyway B)

I agree RT.

This AEG,for the money,is outstanding.The tiny niggles people have had on here including myself are far outweighed by the reasonable price tag and the good

points.

If you paid £300+ for a G&G version and the hop was bad or a bit of rust was evident you feel cheated but something as simple as replacing a HOP bucking or giving it a thorough oiling and clean on an AEG a third of the price is still a bargain in my opinion.

The cocking handles falling off seems to be very limited to the unlucky few and mine seems very secure.Anyway most of the clones now come with a 12 month warrantyfrom reputable Brit retailers (e.g Landwarrior) and the best HK importers (RSOV)are always happy to help with any probs that arise.

I think the recent influx of clones makes it easier for nOOb`s to get into the sport and tinker with their guns.

I myself am recently new to the sport and would not have considered opening up a TM/G&G/ICS AEG that cost me £250+ to replace something like the HOP.It has enabled me to understand better how they work and give me a sense of satisfaction when I have sucessfully replaced a dodgy part.

Anyone having second thoughts abot buying this AEG should not be put off-

I think its great! :D

Having never replaced a hop-up unit or buckling i have no idea where ill start when i finally get one of these.

Probably just order a 7.2v batt and a TM m4 hop-up unit if the stock one is ######.

As for the gears and piston... if they are terrible im sure it'll be an easy fix once i know hoe to fit a spacer and a 16tooth piston... the blow-back feature is cool but in the mean-time ill lock the bolt back to save bits dropping off.

Agreed with all the comments, i've had a few issues with mine, (mags wouldn't seat, bolt fell off etc..) but for £100 i really can't complain. If i ahd spent over £300 on the G&G version and these things happened i'd be very angry but tbh they aren't big issues and i can probably sort them myself.

I'm afraid they didn't reply but I got your pm that helped a lot thanks for the help. i ordered one of these today (I'm rather excited) I'll get a 7.2 bat and a few m4 mags from my dealer in the uk and that should be that. Do you think it will get to me by the 2nd of august (Preferably the 1st)

Thanks for all the help I have found this forum most kind and helpful.

To all the people getting the 7.2v batteries-the only thing to look out for is to make sure they have a high discharge current i.e 35A or 50A (A=amp) like the ones here or it won`t give you enough current to turn the motor over.

@Dr.Strangelove-

Changing the hop in these is the easiest one I`ve done-It`s a standard M16/M4 HOP and to get to it you just split the bodyin half,after removing a single body pin,and slide the barrel out.

It`s all shown in the manual you get with the AEG anyway. ^_^

Edited by Neotheone
Guys, check this japanese website with many pictures of the R85 disassembled:

http://www.power-dy.com/show.aspx?id=1735&cid=6

Anyone can read japanese and translate it? It seems like some interesting information..

Good link... if that was in English im sure it would provide valuable information. Good referance pics

How have people sorted the mag not seating correctly problems? My one now sits in the magwell (after the millionth insertion) but doesn't feed I tried stripping it and putting it together to make sure everythings together properly and all I managed to do was to stop the blowback working... :(

Maybe some one if they are not lazy could translate it and post it here.. *Cough*..

If i get a 7.2 that doesn't work properly will it damage the gun? (I can get them from my airsoft field and will check when i get it and go there with it so it won't start straight away so i will know its wrong)

*edit a spelling mistake*

Edited by Subb0
Maybe some one if they are not lazy could translate it and post it here.. *Cough*..

If i get a 7.2 that doesn't work properly will it damage the gun? (I can get them from my airsoft field and will check when i get it and go there with it so it won't start straight away so i will know its wrong)

*edit a spelling mistake*

To the best of my knowledge it won`t harm the gun if there`s not enough current-it just won`t turn the motor over.I don`t think you`ll be able to get a battery that will have too much current.I am by no means an expert in this field so if anyone knows better please correct me. :)

How have people sorted the mag not seating correctly problems? My one now sits in the magwell (after the millionth insertion) but doesn't feed I tried stripping it and putting it together to make sure everythings together properly and all I managed to do was to stop the blowback working... :(

Hmm when mine finally seated properly it fed fine. If it's seating and not feeding it could very well be a problem with the mag itself. Can you try any different mags in there to check this ?

After you strip the gun and put it back together i found it very tricky to get the blowback to work again. I found that when sliding the two halves together, if you pull the bolt back and then slot the two halves together and secure it with the take down pin it should work. (this is tricky as you need to grow an extra hand ideally :P)

It usualy takes me 2 or 3 attempts at putting it back together to get the blowback to function again. And one thing. Make sure you DONT loose either the tiny tiny spring or the tiny hook on top of the mechbox. These are essential.

I tried other mags, no use! I also reckon its still not seating right, theres too much movement, any tips or just is it a case of brute force and ignorance? I've got her apart right now, could I get pics on the hook and spring and how to reassemble please? Oh god now its stopped firing...

Edited by -Turner-