Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

May be misfired is the wrong word.If a BB roles out of the barrel it blank fires & then there's another BB shot out.

I've field stripped my gun tonight{heavily pregnant Mrs sat there & asked me if i'm going to cuddle the new baby as affectionately when it arrives :blink: }& couldn't see any problems beyond a slightly loose pistol grip which was easy to sort out.I really like this gun,i haven't had the nerve to open up any of my other guns yet but the R85 is so easy to do.

I wish i could find a way to seat the Battery connector so it can't be seen through the air vents but i suppose that is to come later when i'm totally familiar with the gun.

I can honestly say that this gun appears so far to be totally worth the money.I'll buy the A2 version when that's released & the LSW if that's released.I really do hope someone releases a cheap Red Dot SUSAT soon or i might be tempted to buy the Star version & get it to fit.

I like my guns to feel like real guns & the weight of the R85 certainly makes it feel like it's real,i just hope my sling comes tomorrow & i can get a game in soon?

Edited by rolling-thunder
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try an ELCAN scope as a repacement for the SUSAT? they look vagually similiar (well mount does).

I think the ACOG is nearer in looks than the ECLAN sight having compared pictures.I'll stick with what i've got for now because i don't really like the ECLAN in the first place.

I haven't heard anything recently but i had heard a while back that the A2 version could be out in a couple of Months after the release of the A1.I'm fishing with certain people to try & find out if there is going to be an LSW.I really don't like the AFV,there's an excuse for a fugly gun if ever there was one.Given the quality of the high cap mag that comes with the gun i also hope they release them,mid caps & low caps made the same way.

Realism wins for me.

Oh & of course a SUSAT of some kind.

A few months seems a bit long to do small things like change the cocking handle and put a shroud around the mag catch.

They probably want as many people as possible to buy the A1 before they release the A2.I bought the A1 because as an old fart i was issued it in the Army so it brings back fond memories{& a few terrifying ones} but the A2 is the modern up to date gun so i want that for that reason.I'm not bothered about an LSW but i'd rather have an A2 version of that gun.There are only 5 differances between the SA80 & LSW so you wouldn't think it's that hard to release an LSW either.

Edited by rolling-thunder
The only reason i brought the A1 is because im an impatient sod whos been waiting for an affordable SA80 for a very long time! and i guess im not alone in that reason :D

Same, and if I have the chance I'll most probably order an A2 (although if they do release an LSW I might go for that instead).

Again, I very highly doubt there will be an LSW or AFV. I love them both, but what we're all forgetting is that this company cloned another, so their line is limited to what that company produced. JG went a bit outside this with a few of their new armalites, but an LSW/AFV from an L85A1 is a very drastic change, and since G+G never made either, Army won't make them.

Has anyone come up with a good way of keeping the little blowback latch on top of the piston in yet?  I am seriously considering drilling and tapping the plate below and fitting a tiny screw in before i lose the damn thing.

Got any pix of what your on about,sounds like you are talking about the cocking handle but i'm probably wrong! :blink:

Got any pix of what your on about,sounds like you are talking about the cocking handle but i'm probably wrong! :blink:

Hi Folks,

talking of cocking handle, mine regreatably was very weak (don't know if it was just the batch mine where in) but the cocking handle was glued on.

It of course failed. Thing is it shoots very nicely. Now I know this is suppossed to be a G&G clone, but do you think this would fit?

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=9186

It would mean I get my cocking handle back.

Cheers

Rich

It's an L85A1 replica. The A1 did not have a guard around the magazine catch - this was one of the improvements of the A2. Soldiers used to put their weapons in the high port position and their mags would fall out. Strangely enough though, it would seem that it has the A2's snowcutter trigger.

Edit: yeah I know, beaten to it as well...

I would just like to point out that the quote above is incorrect. The A1 does have a guard around the magazine catch. Similarly the snowcutter trigger is on the A1. Its possible that morpcat is referring to a very early model that I have not seen (probably the original L85 that came prior to the L85A1) but the A1s I have used have always had these features.

One point to note about the R85 is that the Bolt release mechanism is not the same as the SA80 (in fact the Bolt release catch is missing from the R85). The 'real' way to hold the bolt open is to pull the cocking handle to the rear and simultaneously press the aptly named "holding open device" that holds the working parts at the rear. When you want to release the working parts you look to the left hand side of the weapon above and rearwards of the mag release catch for a green square knob called the "bolt release catch", press this and the bolt moves forwards.

Hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion surrounding this and from someone who has used the real thing this replica looks very very nice.

Edited by awmt102

Being a bit of an old git,the L85 A1 i was issued is like the R85 as far as the mag release button goes.During drill we would slam to attention only to have the magazine go flying accross the parade ground{as we were told,if we did it right}.We developed a way of resting the mag on the right ammo pouch on our 58 webbing{yes that long ago} & religiously checking our magazines.I can't see the inclusion of a small mag guard making much differance to the risk of loosing the mag :huh: so this is one of the first models of the L85 A1.

Daz it looks like you might be right so I apologise to everyone!

I didn't consider the option that the Armourers would have added the guard themselves after production and just assumed it was done during manufacturing.

Although I stand by mu comment about the lack of a Bolt release catch on the R85.

Just got mine woo-hoo thanks Keith at RSOV.

Has anyone done the coke can chrono with it yet? I tested mine and she penetrated the bottom center and according to redwolf thats 420-450 a tad too high.

Are there figures right, am I doing something wrong?

Just got mine woo-hoo thanks Keith at RSOV.

Has anyone done the coke can chrono with it yet?  I tested mine and she penetrated the bottom center and according to redwolf thats 420-450 a tad too high. 

Are there figures right, am I doing something wrong?

It was stated that Land Warriors batch were tested at 300-340fps. Im unsure to mine as i have not tried any tests on it yet. 450 seems very high though

Ok, I got two R85 from RSOV today. The packages were a bit wet inside, little rust on some parts.

The magazine doesn't lock inside the gun?! I try to put the magazine inside, but the snatch on the magazine doesn't go deep enough, so the magazine catch can't lock the magazine. That is the same on both guns. I can't see anything out of ordinary inside the magazine or the gun. What to do? I tried everything, the magazines just fall out. The magazine simply doesn't go deep inside the gun.

The other thing is - the damned cocking handle fell off on the first time I pulled it! :headbutt: I didn't use any excessive force. What can I do now?

On the same gun - the blowback mechanism has way too much friction, it barely moves with hands, doesn't move when shooting!

EDIT: And it's getting better - one of the guns doesn't have a whole part in the front, it's the long silver tube inside the foregrip!! Look at the pictures.

Here is the picture of the handle:

handleah4.jpg

Here is the magazine mechanism:

magazinezg6.jpg

Missing part:

missinghg9.jpg

Edited by Killian