bangs

heroshark

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
+1

The only other time I'd say bang kills would be appropriate is if they are within 3 metres of you and in one of your blind spots (say behind you).

Its annoying how sometimes people can get away with using the bang rule on a entire group of people too (minus moscarts).  1 or 2 fair enough, but how can you use the bang rule on 8-9 people?

Yeah that is a good point. In some cases I have used the bang rule. This one time I ran around a corner in a cqb game and bang killed 3 people all looking down my barrel. I just shouted bang three times really quickly before they had time to think what to do. If we hadn't have been told to use the bang rule in the current game then I would have quite happily shot all three guys from as close as I was.

Ironically, in another game on the very same corner, I was in the place that I had got the 3 guys out before with a few of our team when one of the guys that I got out before ran out and sprayed the group. I took a shot on the hand that bled and has now actually scared. But would I have rather have had him use the bang rule instead? Nope.

If you are just going to run around shouting 'bang' at everyone then why not just get a little toy gun that you had as a kid that doesn't actually shoot anything and use that? <_<

If you are just going to run around shouting 'bang' at everyone then why not just get a little toy gun that you had as a kid that doesn't actually shoot anything and use that? <_<

And being honest that's what we all are big kids pretending to be soldiers. There's a big difference in damage, normally, between being hit by a 1J weapon at 10 meters and at less than 3 metres. If you're playing with the intention of hurting other people ( not directing this at Wedgie), get out of the hobby, because to the majority of players you're not wanted. The bang rule is there for safety more than anything, and anything that promotes safety in our besieged hobby is welcome.

Ffs, some people really are being *rickrolls* about this. Look, if someone is close enough to touch you, that's a knife kill. No question. Or would you prefer they stuck the muzzle of a 1j gun against your neck and pulled the trigger? Thought not.

Ok, the bang kill is a similar courtesy. I COULD blast you with a pair of Tanaka revolvers at three metres, or I can say "BANG" to let you know I'm there and ready to shoot. At that point, you can ignore it if you want. But you're going to then get shredded by whatever I can point at you. Which would you prefer?

:zorro:

but surely it would be good sportman ship to take a close hit and not get pissy about it, n it saves any argument of who killed who :huh: ?

you have evidently never been shot point blank have you?

i have never NOT taken a close hit, but it still gets my blood up when someone does it to me, or another, when they could have bang or knife killed...

the bang kill is the sportsmanship and curtesy. Shooting people point blank so they take thier hits is just nasty. and anyone who did that just to make me take a hit would get a good slapping around and screaming at.

when you have had a body piercing shot out by a 1m shot, you tend to get riled up easily by being shot at silly close range...s

some things are just common sense.

you make people take thier hit by respecting them, and not being a a richard cranium...

My two cents:

I don't "Bang!".

I don't take "Bangs".

If you're too close to fire with the weapon in question, you don't.

-Sale

In Finland we use knife kills mostly. I have never heard of bangkills used in here. If you're too close to shoot him, you have tree choises: 1) run away. 2) hide. 3) call yourself out.

Gotta say, Sale and Tuulos make a fair point.

If you have chosen to field a gun which is too hot to make short-range kills AND have chosen not to field a weaker back-up (AEPs are perfect for this) then I guess, ultimately, you should just accept that you can't make the kill. You don't have the equipment to do it.

If, for example, I decided to field an LPEG in woodland and insisted people SHOULD be dead because I had them in my sights, even though my gun was too weak to actually fire a BB out to that range I'm sure I'd get laughed out of town.

From Sale and Tuulos' POV, the bang rule is similar to that.

They're not sugesting people take dangerously short-ranged shots. They're suggesting people simply don't take any shot if they don't have suitable equipment to do it.

That's actually a pretty interesting fundamental difference in philosophy between them and Brits.

While we seem to be pretending to play real war, they seem to be treating airsoft as a stand-alone sport.

I wonder how Sale and Tuulos feel about knife kills?

Do you guys use them or not?

But if youre far enough forward that they will shoot you if you dont fire...what do you do?

Me, Im on the side of courtesy. And unless a site specifically said "No bang rule", Id be mighty ****ed if I was courteous to a player and they shot me at point blank range.

We don't use the bang rule on the site because people are too close top shoot somebody, it's simply a matter of courtesy not to shoot somebody close up and cause them a load of pain when you don't need to.

Is airsoft not about honour, good sportsmanship, team play and having a cracking day?

If it is, why would you want to shoot somebody from 3 meters away when you have the dead drop on them and why would somebody not want to thank them for not shooting them close up and just take the hit? I have done it countless times and usually congratulated the player for being sneaky and getting the drop on me.

If a bang rule is present on a site I look on somebody who turns and shoots as unsportsman like, something that shouldn't be present in airsoft and only causes ill feelings and inevitable close rinsings of people that exhibit such behaviour to 'get them back' or 'make sure they take their hits'

But if youre far enough forward that they will shoot you if you dont fire...what do you do?

Curse your short-sightedness in not fielding a weapon suitable for engaging at shorter distances.

I think it's more a question of your mindset.

If you're "playing war" then you'll be thinking "Well, I could have shot him with my L96 when he walked in front of me", in which case a bang rule is understandable.

If you're treating airsoft as a sporting event then it would be up to you to ensure you're carrying guns that allow you to engage at short AND long ranges.

I'm not saying either philosophy is better or worse than the other. I'm just pointing out that they ARE different and, therefore, give players differing POVs. :)

FWIW, if we did get rid of the bang rule and, instead, insist people take a shot with a suitable weapon then it might make games more interesting. People would be forced to sling rifles and transition to pistols if they unexpectedly met an opfor rather than simply squealing "BANG!!!" whenever they met an opfor unexpectedly.

Like I say, I just think it's an interesting way to play. :)

*EDIT*

Incidentally, I have a great example of how the bang rule can be unworkable at times...

A bunch (maybe 8) of opfor were taking cover behind tree-stumps, crouched or lying prone, about 1-2m apart.

I spend about 10 minutes flanking them and got right around behind them.

They're laying down a LOT of fire and there are BBs pinging off the trees all around them. They're also shouting to each other.

There's no way I could attract each persons attention, one at a time, and "bang" them seperately without alerting the others.

Instead, I worked my way half way along the row, drew my AEP and shot each one neatly in the back (or butt).

Theoretically, that's the sort of situation where the bang rule should work but, in reality, it wouldn't have.

No, that makes sense to me, personally. Where I play is basically inside 1 large building. You often get 2 sides coming up to the same corner at the same time. Whoever jumps out first will basically have the advantage (especially if the opponent doesnt know you're there). You dont have time to transition, and if you did youd give yourself away, plus risk getting point blanked on the top of the beaner as you lay your longer gun down.

The other failing of that is, many people run their pistols on green gas to overcome range disadvantages of pistols. At that range, it doesnt matter whether its an AEG or a pistol...1J is 1J. Which makes the transition rule utterly pointless.

Ive also played at a site where you NEED a powerful gun to fire between structures (buildings) or you get destroyed. Then you have close quarters indoors stuff. I had a P90 and would have trouble getting into buildings, being outranged by CAs and such, but once indoors I was ace. What do you do in those situations? With so much open ground between buildings youre at a major disadvantage.

And then...not everyone has the money to buy, or the ability to carry, pistols. Im an example of this. I dont have a car, only a motorcycle.

If I take all AEGs (usually all with cross compatible magazines), I can carry one or 2 primaries and a secondary. If I want to take a gas gun, I have to take a gas bottle, plus 3-4 magazines as well. That weight isnt a small matter when youre riding 40+ miles each way.

And finally, maybe, maybe some people just dont LIKE pistols? I wont use gas guns anyway and have found AEPs to be pretty much unskirmishable (this is my opinion...at the site I play at, theres a LOT of ricochets so its really hard to tell when youve been hit by an AEP. Most of our "He didnt take his hit" calls have been when AEPs were used). Its just too much hassle to get/carry a gun that doesnt fit my style and I dont like.

Far too any variables when the word 'everyone' is mentioned!

Knife kills are totally fine around here. You can't even argue about it due to the touch.

Mostly snipers are the only guns that have minimum engagement distance. Our limit for aeg's are around 1,5J and we usually suggest that close shots are either semi or to place where it wont hurt too much, eg. webbing, boots etc. Of course, if you don't want to shoot someone from close range, you can always ask him to call himself out or get shot. It is usually played out depending on the situation.

You know what I like most about Stealth's idea of having to carry weapons suitable for long and short range? Well, actually, it's two things: first, it would get rid of the "I don't carry a backup because they're useless" brigade :D . Second, it would be great to see people using MGS3-style CQC (pistol and rubber knife) when they entered a building.

:zorro:

I guess my take on it would be, I wouldn't take a bang kill, unless they were less then 2 feet away and the gun was pointed at me. I administer them, but if the guy doesn't take it, and shoots me, no hard feelings. I figure, that I took a calculated risk when I ignore the attempted bang kill. If I get lit up, its my own fault. Is this not sportsmanship? If the hit is PB, and the guy tries to use a "bang kill," and you react and he misses/you shoot him, doesn't that show that the bang kill wasn't a viable option for that circumstance? Which is more sportsmanlike? Forcing people to accept "bang kills,"many of which are questionable, or, allowing each person to make there own choice. In all games I play with my buddies, we assume that accepting the bang kill is purely optional.

you have evidently never been shot point blank have you?

i have never NOT taken a close hit, but it still gets my blood up when someone does it to me, or another, when they could have bang or knife killed...

the bang kill is the sportsmanship and curtesy. Shooting people point blank so they take thier hits is just nasty. and anyone who did that just to make me take a hit would get a good slapping around and screaming at.

when you have had a body piercing shot out by a 1m shot, you tend to get riled up easily by being shot at silly close range...s

some things are just common sense.

you make people take thier hit by respecting them, and not being a a richard cranium...

of course I have :huh: .When you play war games expect to get shot.The fps limit is there so you cant get seriously hurt.If your worried about your face then you should protect it better because evidently as we have learnt by this thread, the bang rule will not always protect you and further more I think you should watch your spelling or I will get you dun ner ner n ner ner :P (and that is the correct spelling of ner ner n ner ner :) )

We've recently started playing at a field that has a lot of large, multi door (door removed, open frame), dimly lit buildings, and have redefined our bang kill rules. They work, and we think they make sense.

First off, no bang killing with an empty weapon.

You must be under 10 feet.

Also, the bang kill is only to be used if you get the drop on someone so obviously, that it's understood they're out.

If you round a corner, and see my back less than 10' away (as I look out a window), I'll take the bang kill. You must point the weapon at me and yell bang instead of pulling the trigger.

If you round the corner and we're both staring at each other, bang or fire, it's a gamble. Typically, whoever has the weapon pointed in the correct direction wins. I came around a corner and was covering a doorway at my 1 and there was someone at my 9 pointing right at me. As long as he yells bang and gives away his position, he doesn't have to light me (just aim for the chest if you do please :) ) and I'll take it.

Remember, we're at pretty high FPS and they will break skin. Our snipers are so high, they are required semi weapons only, and MUST carry a sidearm because they are not allowed to engage at less that 100 feet. Pretty sure that's typical for most of the Midwest.

As long as the rules are explained at the beginning, there never seems to be too much of a problem.

Sounds good. Like you say, its got to be an aimed shot, not someone darting his head out to see whats round the corner and an insta-bang...you have to have the bead for a moment or jump out and expose yourself (oo-er) with gun pointing right at them.

If we get 2 folks fire at, or bang at the same time, we call a mutual kill where I play. Really **** me off when folks say "I shot first!" when it was obviously too close to call. In those circumstances, Id say its a reaction shot mutual.

of course I have :huh:  .When you play war games expect to get shot.The fps limit is there so you cant get seriously hurt.If your worried about your face then you should protect it better because evidently as we have learnt by this thread, the bang rule will not always protect you and further more I think you should watch your spelling or I will get you dun ner ner n ner ner  :P (and that is the correct spelling of ner ner n ner ner :) )

yes, expect to get shot, not at stupid distances though, you obviously havent played airsoft much kiddo, because it hurts like hell even from a decent distance. if you think its alright, then why dont i show you what an ear shot from 1m feels like when it hits your piercing and drives that into your neck behind your ear... (granted i shouldnt have had studs in)

no, the bang rule isn't to protect you, its a courtesy, because unlike you, i don't take pleasure in hurting people, playing the game yes, but unnecessary pain is retarded. I don't mean my face, i mean most of my exposed body when playing, underneath my platecarrier, above my belt, my bum, arms, legs, it all hurts when stupidly close, and ive left some games crying before, it ain't fun, or necessary.

And you can take the mickey out of my spelling all you like im dyslexic, have you got a medical problem to explain why your such an idiot? or are you just very talented?

yes, expect to get shot, not at stupid distances though, you obviously havent played airsoft much kiddo, because it hurts like hell even from a decent distance. if you think its alright, then why dont i show you what an ear shot from 1m feels like when it hits your piercing and drives that into your neck behind your ear... (granted i shouldnt have had  studs in)

no, the bang rule isn't to protect you, its a courtesy, because unlike you, i don't take pleasure in hurting people, playing the game yes, but unnecessary pain is retarded. I don't mean my face, i mean most of my exposed body when playing, underneath my platecarrier, above my belt, my bum, arms, legs, it all hurts when stupidly close, and ive left some games crying before, it ain't fun, or necessary.

And you can take the mickey out of my spelling all you like im dyslexic, have you got a medical problem to explain why your such an idiot? or are you just very talented?

Couldn't agree with you more! If there was still a rep system it would be a +5

Archived