The worst parts of airsoft

nine

I dont think that airsoft has to be about milsim. But its maybe "inappropriate" to play with a group that prides themselves on milsim if you are knowingly making an effort not to. But if they dont advertise that there are certain requirements, then they really have no right to be cruel.And about people calling hits with armor, thats just a sad reality of wearing gear, its not just armor, ive worn alice gear and gotten hit and couldnt feel it, but usually an aeg rectifies that because you are usually hit by about 15 shots, never just 1.

But i think that milsim is for the themed events/ops where the requirements for loadouts and uniform and laid out ahead of time.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never played an official CQB game (just one at a paintball mock town) but I have to say in woodland that I run into this problem frequently. Its part of the reason I have degraded from the 1993 Ranger/Delta loadout (IE: Lots of gear and body armor) to the more simple Vietnam Sniper loadouts IE: No real gear, other than ALICE) I make a concious effort even in combat to recognize hits. There are a few times that a buddy has called me out simply because I wasent being engaged in a fire fight and wasent expecting a hit and managed to get hit on the butt pack (which for me is filled with a towel right now).

I dont worry about calling hits too much because generally Arizona players call their hits better then back home. There has only been two exceptions and the first was playing against a team on their home field (their idea of an Op.) The other is the Lionclaws prep game and only 7-8 of the people called their hits. The lionclaws prep game was frustrating because I had my Warrior1 with me. I was literally in a tower (broken water tower lol) and I shot a guy and it hit his lower gear and then hits the inside of his gun. He looks down at his gun, looks at his bud and does NOTHING, he clearly heard the hit and saw the ricochet. I asked him, did I hit you (an obvious questions) and got a "Huh? No!" To which I said ok, then shot at him as he ran away. That happened several times that day, on top of that I was called a cheater because I was staying up in the tower during a fire fight (because it requires another person to get your *albartroth* in and out of the tower) I was clearly standing up in the tower with a dead rag on my head and a guy shouts "Hey everyone watch the guy in the tower, he could respawn at anytime and kill us" to which he got a "Remember the rules, 2 minutes out of a firefight, clearly you guys are in a firefight and I'm not going to randomly drop the rag and start shooting, do you really think i'm that dumb and that big of an *beep* to do that?" (That was probably a little rough but sometimes that stuff irritates me)

To the OP: I suggest a new playing area, or at least explain why you have chosen to play the way you play. Nothing is worse then being rideculed for playing and not defending yourself. Getting picked last isnt always a bad thing either, you could end up on the team with all of the experience and learn a little bit or even be on the bad team and learn alot more :) There is always something positive to learn, heck people not calling their hits, shoot for soft spots, it teaches ya accuracy ^_^

UrPeaceKeeper

Definitely sounds like ACQB. Play there quite a bit, and as a pistol only player, I'm rather familiar with the song and dance. I'm also guessing this was on a Saturday or a Sunday? If you can, show up on a Friday. Most of the really skilled players play then, and most of the time it's damned good and honest play.

Talk to the refs and Steve/Tim and make sure you know exactly who is not calling their hits. Also, in the staging area, let them know that you were hitting them, and politely tell them that if they're wearing so much gear they need to be sensitive about being hit (i.e. when in doubt call yourself out).

And if anybody is giving you guff about not wearing appropriate gear, just beat them in game. Some of the best players there wear nothing but jeans, a shirt, and a pistol holster. Hell, my ACQB team (Team Fluffy Bunny) has a hawaiian shirt as our uniform. In short, geardos get owned at that particular field. The layout rewards mobility much more than it does firepower. So just let your play do the talking, and from the sound of it, you're doing all right. :)

(If there's a 6'7" bearded goober in a hawaiian shirt weilding something that'd be at home in an open class IPSC match (or a Mossberg), that's probably me.)

i thinks its unaceptable that anyone should be treated differently becasue they chose not to wear BDUs or any of that stuff. I choose to because i am obessive over the military and cos its damn fun :). But when i last went i took an indian friend with me who had never heard of the sport before. I didnt know much bout guns either, and actually got laughed at and called sum no so nice things but some other players when he asked them how to get his AK-47 onto full auto. Considering hed never played many action sports or gun games i think this is a perfectly fine question to ask. Airsoft is about having fun in oyur own way. If you like to dress up, spend alot of money on your kit and have every new gun on the market, that is your choice and if you want to do that thats great. But dont force everyone to play by your own rules. If someone also wants to run around in jeans and a blue hoody firing his gun in one hand 'Wyatt Earp' style thats his (or her) choice so let them enjoy it. As for the whole body armour issue, yea you can alwyas feel hits. first time i went, i wore my old paintball armour (this stuff could take a paintball round and it wouldnt mark me) and i could still feel the rounds coming out of a normal level gun.

I've played at SYA with a good mate, who for some inexplicable reason decided to first go with the contractor look, and then go with the matrix style look...

and Heres the photo to prove it...

2007_0724test0013.jpg

and no one said anything...

I find the worst parts are the times when you have people try to use an M4 as a machine gun just because they have a Beta-C Drum mag or such and then never bother aiming...

Aye worst part for me is c-mags on g3 sas, stuff liek that, reminds me of the sort of people who probably put 'infinte ammo' cheats on their FPS games at home...

Sort of defeats the object a bit.

In the wargames industry we used to call it min/maxing

where you pruposely exploit the possibilites to get the most advantages out of something and kill of as many disadvantgaes regardless of wheter its in character or looks/feels right... so long as you cna win anything is valid.

My other bugbear is peopel who just slope off when hit and dont shout hit, stand up or put their gun inthe air.. THEN have a mare when they get shot again.

Personally my 'ritual' is to shout HIT, put hand in airwith upper arm over mouth as i stand up, compliment the other player if it was a particualrly good shot and make my way to the safe... calling 'dead man coming through' if i cross any blind spots or go round corners in urban.

edit: of and i think RIS , molle and multicam are lame.... :)

(joke, each to their own)

It annoys me how some folk immediately get slated because theyre not wearing combats.

I have a friend who started airsoft and got driven off by this attitude. First 2 games he played, he wore normal stuff - both times accused by site regulars of not taking hits. 3rd time, be borrowed a DPM boilersuit - not a whisper.

Problem for him though was being 5'11 with a 28" waistline...try get combats to suit that? :D My DPM long coat could be wrapped round him and fastened at the back...

As for myself not being bothered wearing combats...Ive played in all of the following:

Picture22.jpg

Picture35.jpg

DSCF0944.jpg

Does that make me any less of an airsofter?

Some of you guys in here are so boorishly serious that I may just play my next game in swimming trunks and one of me mums bra's just to hack you off!

This thread is totally pointless.

You shot a guy, who didnt take his hit? It happens.

Airsoft is what people make it, however LIKE IT OR NOT, Airsoft is aimed a lot more towards milsim, than say... paintball etc. This is encouraged by the manufacturers and retailers, as its what the majority of airsofters enjoy.

Useless thread, this should be closed, its a flame war waiting to happen =/

Guzzi...Loving the pictures. Maybe you'll inspire a new generation of Bond loadouts. :D

I have to say that I find the worst element of airsofting to be the egoes of many of the more insecure players, along with the elitism that comes as a result. A small hobby which should welcome newcomers puts off many on that account, and I have found generally that the more mouthy individuals you get at a skirmish site desperately over-compensating for their respective insecurities, the closer you are to a recipe for a very tense and unenjoyable day.

That's just personal opinion of course. I'm happy to keep myself to myself in real life, and fully respect that many people get off on the thrill of exchanging abuse, accusing random people they didn't hit of cheating or even worse refusing to take hits from new players (I have seen it happen regularly, sadly). However, if you enjoy participating as part of a co-operative team working towards a group objective, then such individuals really can put a damper on things.

Definitely sounds like ACQB.  Play there quite a bit, and as a pistol only player, I'm rather familiar with the song and dance.  I'm also guessing this was on a Saturday or a Sunday?  If you can, show up on a Friday.  Most of the really skilled players play then, and most of the time it's damned good and honest play.

Talk to the refs and Steve/Tim and make sure you know exactly who is not calling their hits.  Also, in the staging area, let them know that you were hitting them, and politely tell them that if they're wearing so much gear they need to be sensitive about being hit (i.e. when in doubt call yourself out).

And if anybody is giving you guff about not wearing appropriate gear, just beat them in game.  Some of the best players there wear nothing but jeans, a shirt, and a pistol holster.  Hell, my ACQB team (Team Fluffy Bunny) has a hawaiian shirt as our uniform.  In short, geardos get owned at that particular field.  The layout rewards mobility much more than it does firepower.  So just let your play do the talking, and from the sound of it, you're doing all right. :)

(If there's a 6'7" bearded goober in a hawaiian shirt weilding something that'd be at home in an open class IPSC match (or a Mossberg), that's probably me.)

it was on saturday, lol :nosleep:

Guzzi- Awesome. I'm going to Urban Assault on the 29th or thereabouts with my team, and at least two of us will be wearing suits there... I'll try to get some pictures, it should be really cool.

Marlowe- Spot on. When new players come to the sites I'm a regular at, I try to welcome them as openly as I can. Some of them have been fantastic: There was one guy who came along who was properly good, and I told him as much after the first couple of games: Turns out he's a tournament-standard target shooter who fancied something a bit more exciting. After watching him take out half my team with precision fire from his rented AK, I could well believe it.

Quite apart from that, though, we as a sport can't afford to turn off new players: If we want to keep having new challenges, interesting games and so on- and if we want our local sites to remain open and new sites to come along- we need the new players, we need to be prepared to accommodate them, otherwise the whole thing becomes a pointless excercise in self-congratulation and it slowly dies out because the cliques that wind up in control of all the sites freeze any new guys who just want to have fun out of the game.

Inexperienced players are great, in my opinion. They have none of the preconceived notions aboiut airsoft that permeate the Old Boys' Club, they're up for anything and they don't have any pretensions about being the best (or best-equipped) players on the site.

I wear one of those RAV body armor vests and a MICH helmet and I can hear hits and feel a few of them, even when I'm wearing the ear protectors, I do admit at times like if I'm running a shot lands on the vest and I don't feel it, that's why at most of the games or places I'm at I ask for a marshal to come out.

I have considered putting small metal plates on the vest at certain points, when they're struck they make an audible "tink" sound so I know if I'm hit, although the practicality of it all is pretty low...

I've played at SYA with a good mate, who for some inexplicable reason decided to first go with the contractor look, and then go with the matrix style look...

and Heres the photo to prove it...

2007_0724test0013.jpg

and no one said anything...

Lol sorry mate but have to say I heard quite a few comments about your mate that day- mainly though because he got one of the objectives about two hours too early ;)

Although, I have to agree that the geared up guys can be a bit elitist. Ive gone full tactical with my plate carrier, with enough molle and pouches to contain my entire life as well as SAPI plates, and tbh the one thing I can say about body armour is that its fookin uncomfortable!!! Im doing a Shield loadout for urban now, which will just consist of cargos, t shirt and a thin police-style vest for some padding to take the sting out of a sniper round. Comfort is a much higher priority for me!

Sometimes the armor gets to heavy then when you have to reload your clips after all your backups go out. Or sitting up in a tree in a sniper position and you only hit 1 or 2 people and you just sit there until its over. But theres always a good a part about airsofting and its really fun :):D

Archived