The worst parts of airsoft

nine

Honestly mate it's not guys with gear who irritate, it's guys with gear who are also arrogant pricks (especially if they cheat, even more especially if theyre rubbish and they cheat and then insist they're BEST PLAYAR EVUR because they got lots of kills without taking a hit).

The assumption isn't automatic by any means. There are plenty of players with lots of kit who are genuinely good players- you just notice the bad ones more because it seems like an aberration.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there seems to be a bit of a stereotype about the guys with all the gear. one, that we

must be painfully rich with endless bank accounts and two, we are all arrogant pricks.         

However, I am usually the first person to lend out a allen wrench set, screwdriver, speed loader, spare mag, duct tape or anything else a new or lesser equipped player might need during a game, and guess where I keep all this ######?......thats right, I keep it somewhere in all that gear I'm wearing around.

no one is suggesting that ALL people who are gear heavy are pricks.... at least they shouldnt be (shame on you all if you are)

there are plenty of numpty's who wear jeans and there are more than enough who just wear cammo and webbing

i think eggy summed up the point well though there is a lot of condecending that goes on towards the poor kid with the springer and no cash even though the kid might be the best player there

and your right about guitar's a mate of mine plays a knacked old epiphone and he can sweep pick, shred you name it

the argument is not with people who gear up and play fair its with people who gear up and then think that because they got all the gear they can get away without calling the odd hit

every site should have a bloke like you on it because the amount of times i've packed my allen keys and forgot my screwdriver is close to a thousand and i've always been saved by a bloke who come's prepared good on ya son your a gent :D

ive recently been going through a loadout dilema. when i first started i was playing with an SAAV and a tm m4 and some dpm. i then replaced my tm m4 wth a ca m15. i then replaced my SAAV with a plate carrier FSBE. now i have recently gotten into sniping and i wear my concealment vest. i cant wear my FSBE with my concealment vest because its too bulky, so i usually ditch it for hlf the day.

so the other day i was playing around and decided it was too hot to wear any gear at all so im down to the bare minumum ie set of dpms an AK and a spare mag. i decided to try and experiment and borrowed a site mask making me look exactly like the renters that came along that day. what i found was:

1) the majority of the time when some of the regular players, wearing heavy gear, fired even in my general direction they automatically assumed i hadent taken my hits, even when they clearly and completely missed. they began shouting and calling marshals and firing long bursts at me and generally being over aggresive.

2) because i followed the group of renters around and stuck with them during play, i was very close and had a clear view of all of them. most of them were playing so honestly. one guy was under fire and said "i dunno if im hit, but ill take it anyway", others would take light glancing blow and take it, sometimes even when no one else even heard the shot or the hit.

now after lunch i thought id go back on to the regulars team and ply along side them for a while, and here is what i found:

1) they were arrogant, cocky, and generally thought they new it all. they were quick to start shouting abuse, claiming they had the most experience, bossing people about, and forcing the few renters on our team around.

2) because they were regulars to the site and had been there since it opened they thought they owned the place. when defending the fort called "area 51" i heard a conversation from inside the fort, it went as so "ouch, one of those f****** noobs got me in the lip, d***head" then started firing. the other guy replied "i dont bother with those (ie dont take those hits), because they have been cheating all day". now having spent time on the renters team i can say that i did not see one person cheat once.

in conclusion, i have no problem with people who own all the gear (i am one myself, and take pleasure out of it. having all the kit for every occasion). from my experience i have to say that the people who need to be watched are people who have been around a long time at the site, or people who show prejudice to newcomers or people renting.

say im wrong, i dont mind, just what i found.

The worst part for me is it's hard to notice hits from far away. In my last game I didn't see, hear or feel anything, but was given a strange look by a guy from the other team, so guessing he might have hit me I look down and don't see anything (thinking that maybe I would see the bb's coming in), then he calls over “your hit” so I proceed to comfort a team mate telling him I think he means me, and was about to walk to the guy to ask him if it was a hit or not, when he tells a ref that I'm cheating and that when I looked down I had watched his bb hit me and was not taking my hits. There would have been no reason for me to cheat as a teammate was very close and the game had medic rules in place.

Like wise I find it annoying when I hit someone and they don't realise they are hit. But I like to give them the benefit of the doubt before running to a reff, the other guy was a regular so I had to settle for a play nicely comment from the reff, and felt really bad for most of the day thinking that someone though I was a cheat.

thewallhitme- dude, that sounds screwed up. I don't even pay attention to what the other guy's wearing when I shoot at him- unless it's a coloured armband. Regulars are just as likely to cheat as newbies, if not moreso, and some "newbies" are ex-military- a lot of those guys are good, often better than guys who've been airsofting for years.

Come to think of it, you know what I dislike the most about airsoft? And it's not just airsoft either, it's one of my pet hates generally. Prejudice.

That little voice inside a player's head that says "He's new, there's no way he can actually be that good- he must be cheating!" or "Freakin' ACU ######, guys who wear that never take their hits" or whatever.

Aside from actual cheating, that's the one thing I absolutely can't stand.

Right, this weekend I took my sniper along as I havent sniped for a while. At the site there were a lot of kiddies. I would shoot these kiddies with the sniper at long range. They would feel the hit and wince, look around to see me but cannot. Then deciding it was a glancing hit they shrug it off, not take the hit then dig down. Very very annoying, stupid kids the first hit is not a warning shot.. Take the hit !!! Especially if you don't see the sniper who shot you, as most likely he can see you ! :waggle:

Right, this weekend I took my sniper along as I havent sniped for a while. At the site there were a lot of kiddies. I would shoot these kiddies with the sniper at long range. They would feel the hit and wince, look around to see me but cannot. Then deciding it was a glancing hit they shrug it off, not take the hit then dig down.  Very very annoying, stupid kids the first hit is not a warning shot.. Take the hit !!! Especially if you don't see the sniper who shot you, as most likely he can see you ! :waggle:

So you shoot them REPEATEDLY until they take the hint.

Very difficult with a bolt action gun mate. I hear where your coming from William I do, best and perhaps only recourse is to memorise their faces and make a point of mentioning them the Marshals after the skirmish session.

If the marshals don't/won't act on that by at least shadowing the players then perhaps you're at the wrong site.

Oooo...other option is to let your "20mtr" engagement range suddendly plummet to 10mtrs and "centre of body" is between the legs :P

• 2 weeks later...

I think I was really lucky to start airosofting here in Utah. I started last Spring and was immediately welcomed by all the players, several of whom went out of their way to help me learn rules and get to know everyone. We have guys on the team who just have their $20 set of used flacktarn and their $140 Echo 1 who are just as good, some better, than guys who have dropped $1,000 on gun and gear. ALMOST everybody in my league knows that the man matters more than the machine. I think is is unfortunate when the holier-than-thou gear whores (I do know very nice gear whores as well :)) can sometimes make people feel unwelcomed, especially new players.

-ScottyT

"Head"

I've noticed that a lot of people dislike the 'armchair generals' my pet hate are the new players or insecure type who assume that as I look confident I actually know what I'm doing. No matter how many times I attempt to explain that their best bet is to ignore me completely or to take my idea as a 'how-not-to-do-it' example someone always ends up following me around to their detriment.

Also I really, really hate the film lids on top of microwavable dinners, has anyone ever managed to open one without it turning into a series of small strips while the steam scalds you. Not obviously airsoft I know but I thought it could link in with... Bugger...lost my train of thought...

1) the majority of the time when some of the regular players, wearing heavy gear, fired even in my general direction they automatically assumed i hadent taken my hits, even when they clearly and completely missed. they began shouting and calling marshals and firing long bursts at me and generally being over aggresive.

Its funny, airsoft can bring out the exactly the same qualites as cars, or alcohol. For those affected, all of a sudden, those in charge have the overwhelming need to be (nastily) aggressive, obviously compensating for something <_< . [understand the diifference between general situation related aggressiveness / forcefulness, and nasty directed aggressiveness / willy-waving] That person making gestures at you from car nearby is unlikely to do it out of the vehicle. (I dont suggest you try this though - there is no point in trying to create a conflict)

Il bet those that are most aggressive inevitably go home and get ordered around by their wives / mums. They may wear trousers on the field - but not at home. Just remember, without the kit and the weapons, and out of their comfort zone, these people are as normal and vulnerable as anyone.

Anyone who wants to be aggressive to me, can come join me in my class one evening, and Il show them (gently) how humbling it is put on the floor by a kid, in the hope they learn something. :waggle:

Leave these people to it. Get your revenge in the field (keeping within the rules). If you let it get to you, you only spoil it for yourself.

Games not starting on time. Packing up gear when the day is done. Players not calling themselves out. Players thinking they're the ****, bossing other players around. That's about it!

Edit: THEIVES.

ok this one only really applies to airsofters with long hair who play woodland games

but i think the worst part is when you leg it through some bushes or tree's and your hair decides to get tangled up in a branch irritating for 3 reasons

1: it hurts like hell as you dont know its happened untill your head is yanked back and half your scalp comes out when you try to move forward

2: while your sat there trying to free yourself you can bet your left leg a sniper is casually lining up your family jewels with the intention of sitting a .4 bb square between your love spuds :blink:

3: why is it whenever something daft like this happens to you at least 10 people see you do it but when you fire a "perfect shot" or kamakazi flip over a tree into a bunker no one see's it or beleives you when you tell them about it :angry:

A few games ago, I brought my recently acquired Tanaka M500 revolver. I was stared at a lot, but that doesn't bother me. What did, though, was when I fired a shot and it hit an opposing player, and he just looked at me. I was out of the range of his Uzi AND his M4, he demonstrated this by firing everything at me. When he realized it was futile, he just stared at me. I assumed he forgot that I had gained his attention, and I fired at him 3 more times, hit him twice, and he just stared at me. I can understand not hearing/feeling hits, but to watch as someone wielding a mahoosive revolver hits you three times and still not call it , well, it jest seems unsportsmanlike. That and I hate people who trash-talk my really weird guns, and end up buying one a month later. Oh, and people who break up a great firefight just because the game is technically over. Oh, and since I am a big guy, people try to make me their target, and when they do not hit me, they accuse me of cheating. I always get a good laugh, but I bet they hate me for not getting out enough :P.

Its funny, airsoft can bring out the exactly the same qualites as cars, or alcohol. For those affected, all of a sudden, those in charge have the overwhelming need to be (nastily) aggressive, obviously compensating for something <_< . [understand the diifference between general situation related aggressiveness / forcefulness, and nasty directed aggressiveness / willy-waving] That person making gestures at you from car nearby is unlikely to do it out of the vehicle. (I dont suggest you try this though - there is no point in trying to create a conflict)

Il bet those that are most aggressive inevitably go home and get ordered around by their wives / mums. They may wear trousers on the field - but not at home. Just remember, without the kit and the weapons, and out of their comfort zone, these people are as normal and vulnerable as anyone.

Anyone who wants to be aggressive to me, can come join me in my class one evening, and Il show them (gently) how humbling it is put on the floor by a kid, in the hope they learn something. :waggle:

Leave these people to it. Get your revenge in the field (keeping within the rules). If you let it get to you, you only spoil it for yourself.

Aggression isn't itself a particularly bad thing: it's where the aggression goes that matters.

I play very aggressively, but I don't throw a hissy fit at people who are doing things I dislike and as soon as the game is over, that's it. "You were on the opposing team? Oh, YOU were the guy who kept shooting me when I ran past that spot. I never did figure out where you were! Hey, me and this lot are going to the pub after the game, you're welcome to join..."

The worst part of airsoft has to occur on numerous times when I'm sniping. You look through the scope, see an enemy player in plain view, pull the trigger and watch as the BB sails towards your target. Then the BB hits them with a recognizable 'thwack', and they just look down at their chest as the BB bounces off them, then decide to shrug it off and play on.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to argue slightly with the post a couple of pages ago that said that if you're wearing a mask then you must be using "spray n' pray" cuz you can't get a sight picture with a mask on.

Errr, yes you can!! I have a neoprene full face mask that I have tailored to my requirements, so I can get a sight picture, and I never fire without using the sights, so that generalisation is entirely wrong, in fact, I've never used a full face mask that didn't allow me a proper sight picture.

In addition, most spray and pray merchants seem to be the geardos with 10+ hicaps, I can grudgingly understand using a couple of hicaps to save on the cost of standards, or to simply save needing so many pouches, but why on earth do you need 10? that's 3000+ rounds I have no hesitation in saying that someone who needs that many rounds must be using spray n' pray (a generalisation, I know), purely because if you're using the sights it can't take that many rounds fired to hit someone.

i just were full solider 95 and a holster with aeg on a sling pistol holstered.. sometimes for long games i were a vest but im still trying to find one thats not huge not heavy and is comftable...

worst parts of airsoft when some guy with a light support wepon over kills you by like 200 rounds :( it hurts, but is fun to watch it happening to somebody else :D

The worst part of airsoft has to occur on numerous times when I'm sniping. You look through the scope, see an enemy player in plain view, pull the trigger and watch as the BB sails towards your target. Then the BB hits them with a recognizable 'thwack', and they just look down at their chest as the BB bounces off them, then decide to shrug it off and play on.

thats why my followup shot is for the head

Errr, yes you can!! I have a neoprene full face mask that I have tailored to my requirements, so I can get a sight picture, and I never fire without using the sights, so that generalisation is entirely wrong, in fact, I've never used a full face mask that didn't allow me a proper sight picture.

I 100% agree with you.

Archived