Lost...

amateurstuntman

We have to work until 8pm to get all the packages delivered, it's semi-voluntary.

I had a day off today.

I did some shopping, got my wife a nintendo DS and some shoes plus a Debenhams voucher.

Changed my name at the bank to our married name, payed my TNT account off (I had some customs charges outstanding).

Then I had a pub lunch and got a load of baking ingredients, I am going to make some tablet, a gingerbread loaf and a sponge cake for my mother-in-law's birthday party on Sunday.

The only bad thing that happened is that I found out that it will cost 142 pounds to replace the glass on my watch, not 90 as I had been previously told.

On top of that the idiots in the shop knew that 5 weeks ago and haven't even started repairing it because they want more money.

That said, I had a lovely day off (probably my last one until xmas) and when I got home I realised I had my will to live with me.

I hope I don't loose it again tomorrow.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Postal workers: the true heroes of Christmas.

Yulelog, ham(Yule Hog, am i right?)

Not as far as I know it...the original Yule Log was just that, an enormous log that was cut from the biggest tree around, and then dragged into the communal hall, where they'd build a fire around it and keep it going all Yule-tide. This goes back to way before the Vikings had a foot-hold here, way before Christianity got its mitts into Europe.

Actually the celebration during this time of the year originates from a pagan celebration of the new year. The word "hjul" still means "wheel" (cycle of life) in Danish, and Christmas is called "Jul" [yul]/[yule] or "Joulu" [yo-loo] in the northern countries. The concept of Santa Claus (except for the Coca Cola sponsored red suit) comes from a pagan heritage, as well as quite a few other things. The celebration was slowly turned into a Christian one after the crusades. The people want the ritual at a certain date, so it was easier just to make up a story like: "Hey, Christ was born during this time! Let's celebrate that instead!"

They did the same thing with easter. The bunny and the eggs have nothing to do with Christianity, but they come from the pagan fertility celebration. It's not a coincidence that it's celebrated right before the beginning of summertime in Europe.

Whenever someone points out the "original" meaning of Christmas, I take it a bit further.

For the record, I'm no pagan either, but an agnostic. And I don't celebrate Christmas.

-Sale

Very interesting.

Btw, Sale, is there anything you don't know? I mean, you're like a encyclopedia :P

I have a lovely wife, a nice flat and a load of guns but I just can't muster the energy move at more than a crawl.

Even using a Scanning-tunnel electron microscope you still couldn't find a molecule in my body that is cheerful about christmas.

Dude. STFU.

Seriously, have you SEEN your wife? How dare you complain about anything in your life?

(And yes, my girlfriend left me, so I'm bitter, okay?)

Yes, Xmas sucks. I'm working Xmas day 0800-2000 hours, because it's better to be paid to be alone and miserable at work than be alone an miserably in my empty house.

I loathe this time of year with a firey passion. Everyone goes on about how it's so "joyful" and "festive" and all that ######, but it's not. It's just commerical, hollow and fake. Guess I grew up, kids get excited about Xmas for weeks beforehand, I'm just sick of it before it even starts. There are more suicides around Xmas than at any other time of year, and I can see why. There's this perception that everyone in the world is having a great time, except you.

My sympathies on the crappy job. Most jobs aren't fun, that's why they have to pay you to do it. If they were fun they'd be called "airsoft" and you'd have ot pay them. Other than that, sounds to me like you've got it pretty good. I'll trade places with you any time, buddy.

Thanks mate.

You are right, I have got it pretty good but when you are down you just can't seem to see it can you?

I had a job I loved, years ago I was a bouncer and it was awesome but my life moved on I guess.

Don't worry about your women problems, if it isn't going to work forcing it will only prolong your misery.

You'll find the right woman for you and after you have known her a while the Stockholm syndrome will kick in and you'll be able to uncuff her from the radiator :D

See how I attempt to lighten the situation with humor.

You'll find the right woman for you and after you have known her a while the Stockholm syndrome will kick in and you'll be able to uncuff her from the radiator

Why would I want that? It's SO much more fun when they struggle.... :unsure:

You're right - when you're down, all you seem to see is the bad. The rest of your life could be covered with gold and it wouldn't seem to matter. Been there, done that.

On the plus side, you must be coining it in with all that OT at work? Ought to be able to get some new shinies in the new year to make yourself feel better.

1. Actually...

2. ...the celebration during this time of the year...

3. ...originates from a pagan celebration of the new year...

4. "hjul"... "Jul" [yul]/[yule] or "Joulu" [yo-loo]...

5. ...Santa Claus...

6. ...pagan...

7. ...easter... bunny... eggs

-Sale

1. I hate that word

2. i dont celebrate anything on december 24th or around that time

3. Its the misuse of christianity i dispise, if pagans want to hate it for the misuse of paganism then fair play

4. i don't celebrate that either

5. dont beleive in that fiction either.

6. again each to their own, leave mine alone.

7. dont like easter either.

I am not saying that we shouldn't have a horrible celebration mid-winter that lasts for three months and makes everyone miserable, i just wish they wouldn't cut parts out of my religeon and put them on display like an Orks head on a spike.

For me, the birth of christ is the second most important event in all of history, followed by his resurection, death and then the creation of our existance in the first place.

If you are going to use the word "christmass" and have the nativity story, leave it to the christians. If your going to have pagan references (trees etc.) leave it to the pagans. IF you are going to have capitalist things (buying lots of stuff (cards, presents, decorations and other tat)) leave it to the capitalists.

It is a true *beep* child of a festival and i hate it imensly, not just because it makes everyone else miserable when they believe they are happy (thats just evil brain washing)

like an Orks head on a spike.

Why does this make The Badger imagine an Ork's with a santa hat on a spike?

The way The Badger sees it is that Christmas has been "Americanized" just like other holidays. valentines day? Buy Jewelry and chocolate. Presidents day? Buy cars. Veterans day? Buy TVs. Christmas? Buy EVERYTHING.

Its just the natural progression of life to be turned into an excuse to buy s*** one doesn't need for people one doesn't know.

Sale is incorrect on one thing though.

Santa in his red suit has been recorded in images dating back from around 1880. Coca cola did not start to use it as an image until the late 1930's.

Other than that, he's totally correct :)

I wouldn't normally be that pedantic, but i hate the way coca cola are credited with 'inventing' the present day image of santa :)

I thought they were the first to draw all the elements together.

i.e. Jolly old fat man, big white beard, rosy cheeks, red outfit with the big leather boots and belt.

nm, see you tonight tt.

hed. you are right, I do have a few things that I plan to spend my overtime on but I don't want to jinx it by saying what I'm trying to buy.

Today it began in ernest. I am now xmas's *badgeress*.

Christmas, as in the event in Dec, is nothing to do with Jesus. Watch part 1 of this: ZEITGEIST*.

Basically, the legend of Jesus is designed to fulfill many different prophesies and messiahs. 'Xmas is just one of them.

For me, 'Xmas is an opportunity to tell my family and friends how much I love them. That someone was supposedly born on that date has nothing to do with it.

Basho

*BTW. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, my philosophical position is technically skepticism.

Well it doesn't take a conspiracy theory, when any historian who knows the crusades to Scandinavia can tell you how it went: The pagan Yule was redefined to celebrate the birth of this historical man, who did indeed live, but IIRC couldn't have been born in December.

But I do like conspiracy theories too. Yum. :)

-Sale

In my eyes, the true spirit of Christmas is carol singing. A group of talented people go and share their talent with everyone in the community - we get pies and sherry from some, they all get lovely music from us. The OAPs enjoy it, the parents enjoy it, the kids enjoy it and we enjoy it - everyone's happy.

And if you don't like carol singing, then who cares? It's only going to happen one night a year and you're not losing anything - you're just not gaining it!

Go and do some carol singing - it doesn't really matter if you're not Christian, you can still have fun doing it.

CC

Hey it could be worse ive taken to saying when people go its only two weeks till christmas to saying its three weeks till after christmas makes me feel better and about your job read and do the following.

On your way home from work, stop at your pharmacy and go to the Isle with the thermometers in. You will need to purchase a rectal thermometer made by Johnson and Johnson. Be very sure you get this brand. When you get home, lock your doors, draw the drapes, and disconnect the phone so you will not be disturbed during your therapy. Change to very comfortable clothing, such as a sweat suit and lie down on your bed. Open the package and remove the thermometer. Carefully place it on the bedside table so that it will not become chipped or broken. Take out the material that comes with the thermometer and read it. You will notice that in small print there is a statement: "Every rectal thermometer made by Johnson and Johnson is personally tested. " Now close your eyes and repeat out loud five times: "I am so glad I do not work for quality control at Johnson and Johnson!" :):P

There are more suicides around Xmas than at any other time of year, and I can see why.

I think that's actually got more to do with seasonal depression, like when people get sad because "everything is dead" and stuff like that.

Also, I think some of you hate christmas a little too much.

Hey it could be worse ive taken to saying when people go its only two weeks till christmas to saying its three weeks till after christmas makes me feel better and about your job read and do the following.

On your way home from work, stop at your pharmacy and go to the Isle with the thermometers in. You will need to purchase a rectal thermometer made by Johnson and Johnson. Be very sure you get this brand. When you get home, lock your doors, draw the drapes, and disconnect the phone so you will not be disturbed during your therapy. Change to very comfortable clothing, such as a sweat suit and lie down on your bed. Open the package and remove the thermometer. Carefully place it on the bedside table so that it will not become chipped or broken. Take out the material that comes with the thermometer and read it. You will notice that in small print there is a statement: "Every rectal thermometer made by Johnson and Johnson is personally tested. " Now close your eyes and repeat out loud five times: "I am so glad I do not work for quality control at Johnson and Johnson!" :):P

sigged :D

Enjoy your Xmas day off at home with the missus.

I'll be in the office 0800-2000 hours on Xmas day and the house will be cold and empty when I get back, just as it was when I leave in the morning, just as it is every day.

It could be worse, Stunt... You could be me.

EDIT: WOOOOO! 1000th POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived