Weapon damage

Spartan452

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just came from my first woodland game, and there were lots of twigs and thorns, and my gun got really *fruitcage*ed up by it, it's got scratches everywhere.

How do you maintain the external quality of your gun in the field?

Either cover it in a thick layer of resin or varnish, or stop being a kittycat? and get used to it ;D

I just came from my first woodland game, and there were lots of twigs and thorns, and my gun got really *fruitcage*ed up by it, it's got scratches everywhere.

How do you maintain the external quality of your gun in the field?

By hanging it on your wall and never leaving your armchair.

your'e not a charisofter are you?LOL

what do you care if it gets a little scratched, mine are covered in em!

crawling through thorns, rocks, mud and being shot at, as long as you look after as best you can, there is nothing more you can do, and if later down the line you do decide to sell it, ppl are gonna expect it to have some battle scars (i would) :)

I bought a Tokyo Marui G36c four and a half years ago or thereabouts, for about £200.

I bought a gun bag with it and balked at the prospect of carrying the gun, the gun bag and the gun's box back to my flat, so I left the box at the shop and took it home in the bag.

I took the gun to the Elektrowerkz, and clipped the strap from the gun bag to it to use as a makeshift sling. I scraped it along the walls to get around corners with a low profile, I bashed it on things when I fell over, and I fired it. Lots. In fact, lots and lots.

By the end of its first fortnight it already looked as if it had been in a real war. Now, almost five years later, it is covered in nicks and scratches, especially the sides of the magwell where the mag clipped to the side of the one I've been using has scraped up and down the body. It is completely missing at least three screws (that I know of), the thread's gone on at least one more, and the hop bucking is currently a piece of plastic I took off a model sprue that just happened to be perfectly round and have exactly the same diameter as the original, which I lost. The sling point on the rear of the folding stock broke when I fell over one too many times, the sling point at the rear of the receiver loosk like I've been swinging the gun from it for use as a flail, the rest of the gun looks like it's actually been used as a flail, and there's a chunk of plastic missing from the trigger guard where the front end of it has somehow snapped loose from the rest of the receiver (the trigger guard is mostly still there, but I don't know how long for). The safe/semi/auto pictorial bits have been all but worn away by constant movement of my right thumb, and the butt of the stock looks like I've beaten an exceptionally resilient and possibly spiky creature and/or person to death with it.Pretty much all of the metal parts are worn and scratched all over the place, Hells, the trigger barely has any paint left on it!

At the end of all this, the most important answers are the answers to the following three questions (in inverse order of importance):

3: Does the gun still work?

To which the answer is a resounding Hell Yeah. I've stripped it down all the way precisely once in its exceptional career so far, and that was only to make sure that the internals didn't get too wet after a skirmish weekend of such torrential rain that people were getting sent home with early symptoms of exposure within the first hour of gaming. I shouldn't have bothered. The insides of this gun are pristine. Naturally I regreased everything, and cleaned out some of the muck, but it's actually still pretty shiny inside. Performance-wise, the gun has dropped maybe 5fps since I bought it- everywhere I go she chronoes at a consistent 300fps, usually to within 3fps each way. With a good 8.4v battery she's got a nice rate of fire on her too- not as fast as a CA or a speed 'box, mind, but plenty fast enough to do everything I need it to, and her accuracy has always been excellent- and still is. The hop's a little sensitive, as you'd expect with the solid plastic bucking, but I can deal with that.

2: Do I like the gun any less because of the damage?

To which the answer is a resounding Hell No. Seriously, I wasn't fully sold on the idea of using a G36 when I first got it. I still halfway wanted a P90. But after a couple of skirmishes, once I'd put a few dents into it, this was my gun. There are many like it- but none quite the same. And to complete the old phrase- this one is mine. And that sentiment has only increased as the gun has got more battered and beaten. The more I use it, the more I love it. As a primary choice in a skirmish, unless I'm going pistols-only, there is absolutely nothing I'd rather have by my side when it comes down to it. I'm going to be using an L85 a lot more for woodland games in the future, but I can't see myself not using this gun well into the future.

1: Do I regret any of it?

To which the answer is an ear-splitting, tooth-shattering round of Hell No!. I can't think of anything I'd rather have been doing, and I can't think of a single gun I'd rather have been doing it with.Seriously, pure distiled Awesome. The gun, in its present state, is probably worth somewhere south of fifty quid- but if you want it, you'll have to come and prise it from my cold, dead hands!

Airsoft is not, and never has been, about preserving the resale value of your equipment- least of all the guns. It's about having fun, and doing awesome stuff.

Well I can see where he is coming from myself. I still havent worn in my first gun either and I am a little worried about it. But once I do, I know it will truly be mine. I was going to upgrade my pistols for that very reason. But once I use them and beat them up, I will get that effect. I wouldnt worry about it.

Remember that YOU beat up your gun and there is nothing like it, and never ever will be. Plus, it's yours, and no one could EVER have a gun like yours.

I can't wait myself, my parents have always yelled at me about messing up my stuff, and now most of my stuff is in almost mint condition. I even have the boxes that most of it came in lol. (note: when I say stuff, I am talking about everything I own) Now I get to destory something, and it will still work, and so G o d a m cool.

If it works and isn't in danger of like the barrel snapping off, there's no reason to even consider replacing it.

Besides, most airsoft replicas re-sell much higher than almost anything else which drops in value. If you hold onto a rare model long enough, the re-sell vaule can actually increase. ;)

P.S. I actually opened one of my broken MAG midcaps...the shell to the mag now has huge gouge marks and chunks missing from me prying it open with a bayonet I had on hand. :P

LOL! I dropped my m4 like 20 times and ended up breaking off my peq... E-tapped the mofo back to normal. GET A SLING! GOOD investment. Even though I have hurricane body which is like indestructable. Also the worn looks good. Imagine, would you want a new gun shiny and everything? Or a gun that had the finish faded and etc? If it is the first one...Just uh... Hang up your gun dude...

not my 416, battery died due to the weather, luckily I had my M16 ris with me.

Thats a shame. I may be able to put up my "M16 One Year Later" Pictures. One year, 150,000+ rounds and only the tappet plate broke. Anti-CA guys eat your heart out.

But yeah, the more wear you can get naturally through playing the better it will look. And you learn where you rub against. Such as the metal just above the pistol grip on my M16 is all worn and down to the bare metal. Mag release, Magwell, Carry handle etc.

Archived