Weapon damage

Spartan452

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's crazy talk! I bought my first WA for £180. I've only not carried it on about three of the occasions I've been airsofting.

Hrm. People seem to be continually complaining that WAs are unreliable. I've only had trouble with mine (and I have five WA pistols) on a couple of occasions, and it was usually my fault at that!

Having said that, they ARE high-maintenance. I've had most of them in pieces more times than I care to count, just cleaning them out and regreasing them. It never fails to surprise me how many guys don't even know how to take the slide off their sidearms.

It really depends on the person and the gun

I just sold an EBR kit simply because I felt it was too nice to field, I couldn't play and was always afraid of scratching it.

On the other side I had a tanaka k98 that I fielded for ~5ish years, at least twice a month, abused it to hell, and it took it all like a champ.

External looks really dont hurt resale too much.

Damage like broken sling points and lost pins do, painting defiantly does.

Your base gun will never be worth any more than ~60-70% of what you bought it for, but stuff that doesn't wear out like magazines, scopes, some externals, ect. hold their value much more. Internals hold almost no value since a smart buyer knows you never know where they came from, who installed them, and really how many rounds are through them.

The important thing is you are having fun, nowadays with clones you can replace the externals of your gun for way, way, less than I could have imagined when I started, so dont worry about it, as long as you dont do something stupid like run between two trees and break your m16 into a zillion parts (happened to one of the guys at a game) any damage your gun takes is worth it.

The Badger would recommend the following solution if you are worried about how many scratches your gun has.

step 1. put down your purse (unless your Bella, in which case your guns probably in the purse)

step 2. find the nearest solid object and hit it hard with the weapon in question.

step 3. while hitting weapon on object, yell loudly "This is a rifle(/Submachine gun/pistol/shotgun) not a GODAMM Ferrari! It looks good beaten to a pulp, and I like it that way!"

Repeat as necessary

I was looking at my 3 current rifles last night: CA M15 CQB, TM M4-S, JG C36C

The M15 just looks so much better than the others with its 2 years of natural battle scarring that the plastic bodied other guns just can't match! :) I had to replace the lower receiver on it due to a crack a couple of months ago and deliberately bought a second hand one that was a bit battered so it didn't lose it's character ;)

No matter what anyone says, there is a resale value and damage to your gun does lower it. Just look at ANY sales thread.

To get the best of both worlds, choose your skirmishing kit for the purpose of skirmishing only ie, durability, fps , reliability etc etc etc. Then buy other guns for collecting purposes ie, test firing , wall hangers, trading etc etc

If you do find that your gun is too beautiful to game with, then don't, thats why cheap soft exists.

There are alot of gun covers that you can get for assault rifles, specifically for camo purposes but they do protect your gun from wear. They also look ###### but thats not important.

I have managed with most of my guns, to skirmish with them and not have them look like garbage. Battle wear does look cool when it surface scratches etc etc. It looks gross when bits are missing, cracked and hanging off and at that stage they are only realistic when comparing them to some third world milita's inventory ie AK47 with broken sites, broken wood furniture etc etc. Any army worth its salt would repair the gun if it effected performance but you'd still be left with superficial marks.

My personal tip for reducing damage is this:

1. use protective camo dressing as its functional in 2 ways (I don't bother most of the time because it snags)

2. choose a gun that is appropriate for your size, if you are short don't get some long unweildy rifle (unless its a sniper or support weapon). Doing this will decrease your chances of smacking it into things.

I personally am 6ft tall but always opt for compact guns as that are more mobile and less likely to get smacked into things. I don't really use covers and I have run around alot because I prefer to assault or recon and CQB . lr300, patriot, mp5, ak74u etc etc.

Most Airsoft guns ARE NOT built anywhere near as well as real guns, even the steel ones (because of internals as well) and should therefore not be treated as roughly as real ones if you want them to last.

In saying that though, for just about any AEG there are hundreds of choices of spare internal and external parts so that should give you some peace of mind. Also try and get spare externals secondhand so you don't have to worry about babying it as much.... as you've paid less and its already used.

hope this helps.

Unless, its a classic gas gun, like an Smokey barrett or the WA2000, in pristine condition, then scratches isnt gonna do much to resale value. If you wanted to invest your, you should have bought gold instead of a TM or CA or whatever. Airsoft rifles is very unlikely to increase in value, especially AEGs.

Not wanting to damage a gun? And heres me, crawling in games and sling dragging my M1 with a custom wood kit behind me, just so I can ADD battle-wear! :P

It does feel cheap though, trying to intentionally scratch it. Just like motorbikers who scratch new kneesliders on the floor so they look like theyre good riders :P

My AK in it's current form hasn't seen too much action, but the amount of times I've taken it down and such, and the amount of times I've dropped it in the garden etc, well, it looks nicely worn, except the wood grips, those get alot of love.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived