Armalite Pictures

So what are we looking for cost now and cost after compleation?

I have no idea really as I traded for the M15 in the first place (hard to put a price on that). However the MRF was $275, the sights were $245 for the set, and the Vltor was around $170 for the full kit (that's with buffer assembly and everything). That should give you an idea. Keep in mind these parts are pulling double duty as they can be (and will be) used on my realsteel too, so the cost is a bit more justifiable in my mind.

Did I mention that is probley one of the sweetest M4's i've ever seen, ever.

Thanks! :D

nice project there staticzero...although the stock/battery setup kills the appeal.  you're already spending about $1000+ on the gun...go all out and make it perfect.

in my case, was thinking of hacking the vltor a1 clubfoot for battery storage, but i think a triple-cell li-poly setup would fit in my vltor forend.  i think that might work for your gun too.  i've seen those li-poly's in person and they are really tiny.

Yeah I don't like it either, it's really just an interim solution to make it useable for the moment. Like I said I want to put the 470 in this in the end so there'll be no need for a battery (just a remote line connector somewhere). Because of this I'm not interested in permanently altering my Vltor or investing in new batteries (thanks for the suggestion though). If it takes a while to get the 470 in place and working to my liking I may reexamine the issue.

Frankly the body/MRF fit issues are a bigger priority for me. It only takes a minute to swap off the cheek weld with the battery on it with the other one for display purposes. Meanwhile the MRF can actually be rotated if I try, and there's the gap and the height issue which cancel out a key feature of the MRF design. Plus my barrel is a bit loose. Basically this M15 body has got to go.

I was actually contemplating getting one of the Systema PTW challenge kits for this project, it seems like an ideal solution. The MRF would absolutely fit since the receiver is to spec, the included Crane stock is an acceptable alternative to the Vltor (it's what I originally had in mind actually) and it takes care of the battery issue, plus the challenge body is blank IIRC which would allow for having the Troy markings added. But, I want to get away from electricity for this gun. Maybe next round.

I'll of course post more pictures as the project progresses.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Staticzero, if you dont mind me asking where can i source a front sight like

yours ,ive just added an sd front end to an m15a2 with fixed a fixed carry handle,

so at present have no irons, im not a fan of red-dots on carry handles, they

stick up to far, any help would be great.

cheers jim.

I got mine from SKD, the fornt sight is $120 and shipping for international orders is $25 minimum. You can probably get them from anywhere that sells Troy stuff though.

I've seen several replicas available that are of similar design, one of them might make a little more sense for airsoft use from a cost perspective. The trick is finding one that's the correct height. Many are designed to be mounted on a gas block and are therefore too tall to use on your top rail. Here's an example of one I think might work: http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...4_srch_GBT-AE34

Of course if you don't mind spending the money the Troy sights are really sweet. :D

I got mine from SKD, the fornt sight is $120 and shipping for international orders is $25 minimum. You can probably get them from anywhere that sells Troy stuff though.

I've seen several replicas available that are of similar design, one of them might make a little more sense for airsoft use from a cost perspective. The trick is finding one that's the correct height. Many are designed to be mounted on a gas block and are therefore too tall to use on your top rail. Here's an example of one I think might work: http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...4_srch_GBT-AE34

Of course if you don't mind spending the money the Troy sights are really sweet. :D

Thanks for that +1 :) , your right the Troy sight is a little expensive for me but the

wgc version looks good enough , i can raise and lower the rear sight to suit , its not

exactly a target rifle so i need more of a quick reference point than ultra accuracy.

Thanks again, and by the way that is one sweet rifle,ill post a pic of mine when its done

[no where near as nice as yours but i like it so far!]

Im looking forward to seeing yours with the new body.

cheers

jim.

staticzero

You do know that technically now you gun want fire. I mean being airsoft it will. but the real ones need a gas block....  Sorry just a little rant from a realism buff

Yes I realize that of course, but it didn't have a gas tube before either. ;) Unfortunately there's no cheap low profile gas block available separately from a kit that will work. I'm not going to spend $60 on a realsteel part when there are actual functional issues to overcome first, especially for what amounts to a minor cosmetic issue that you can't even see from a few feet away (since it will be inside the MRF).

Edited by staticzero
Yes I realize that of course, but it didn't have a gas tube before either. ;) Unfortunately there's no cheap low profile gas block available separately from a kit that will work. I'm not going to spend $60 on a realsteel part when there are actual functional issues to overcome first, especially for what amounts to a minor cosmetic issue that you can't even see from a few feet away (since it will be inside the MRF).

I'm sure that jimmy-rig wiring for your battery points out a lot worse than lack of a gas tube! :D

Just giving you a hard time of course. Very impressive M4, kudos to airsofters like you that blur the line between AEGs and the RS using their imagination.

Do you want a G&P Bushy V-Match gas block base? I can get you one for real cheap. Not sure if it will fit inside the MRF...I can check if you are interested.

Quick tip...I've just finished the samson over a Zeke metal upper (pics are somewhere in this post). Removing material from the front of the reciever will cause the barrel to sit deeper into the reicever. I then had to take material out of the end of the barrel to make the hop up fit. I just finished installing a CASV, but this time I took material off of the outer barrel so the delta ring can be pushed back farther. I had to fire up the milling machine but I'm sure with some time you can do it by hand. It might be easier than taking material off of the receiver.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the offer and the suggestion. I'm not sure what the GB you're referring to looks like or if it would work. Do you have a pic?

Here's a pic of the PRI block I'll be using on my realsteel, I know it would work and I may end up getting one for my AS later: http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.p...p_image&pID=313

If I could find one like that (real or otherwise) for a decent price that fits a .750" diameter barrel then I'd probably be interested (though I might still hold off until I conquer the more significant functional issues). I look at the gas block as more of a finishing touch in this case so it's not a big priority.

I think the fit issue you're describing is a bit different than mine. The problem isn't being able to screw the barrel nut on far enough, that I can do. The problem is that the body is too wide for the centering tabs to clear which prevents the MRF fitting even if I did screw the nut on all the way. I left it a bit loose as a work around for the moment (I used an o-ring as a spacer to keep things relatively snug). It wont take much to remove a tiny bit of material to make it work right though. However I'll have to reexamine the issue after I get whatever new body I decide on.

Edited by staticzero

I have a RS Midwest Industries Free-Float RAS (same as the Troy MRF-C), and it slipped right onto my G&P metal body. No smithing required, and it's rock solid. To my knowledge, all of them have that very small gap between the body and the RAS, as seen here:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/user/MRF-C%20on%20M4rifle.bmp

and yours here:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/user/MRF-MX...n%20M4rifle.bmp

staticzero:

Yeah, it's a bit different. The one I can get you are for the Bushy V-Match rifles. Just look at their site, I'm sure they have pictures of them.

Ok, I know what you mean by the tabs. The Samson has them as well (the CASV does not have this problem as it uses a delta ring). I just cut two notches into the upper for the tabs to fall into.

As for the "gap":

I'm sure it will fit without any changes. When i installed the CASV, PRI Swan Sleeve, and RAS-II, the upper rail clamp did NOT align with the upper rails on the receiver. Setting the barrel nut deeper was the only way I had to make it fit right (I've read others who file down the upper rails on the reciever, but I'm not a big fan of that option).

I agree, the forend should not be flush with the receiver to make a continuous upper. I think it was Mags who pointed this out for me...sure enough there is a gap when I installed these "upper rail extenstion" type forends on my LMT upper. I also agree the MRF will fit fine without any mods. However, the gap that is there on airsoft is much too wide. I could not install any optics across the upper without some serious problems. Again, I set the barrel nut back, and everything fit fine.

For some reason, each one of these forend I install seems to have an issue with the distance between the barrel nut and receiver. Without the mods, I end up with either a loose barrel or upper rails that become out-of-spec.

For each project I have used a G&P barrel nut, Guarder vari-length barrel, and, typically, Systema or Guarder upper. If there's anything I'm doing wrong, I would be grateful for any suggestions :mellow:

I see what you're saying. I'll probably encounter that issue as well then. I'll try to remember to report back with my results.

How do you like the Guarder variable length barrels by the way? Is the finish nice/realistic? I'm considering one but the two piece design worries me a bit. Is it strong?

I see what you're saying. I'll probably encounter that issue as well then. I'll try to remember to report back with my results.

How do you like the Guarder variable length barrels by the way? Is the finish nice/realistic? I'm considering one but the two piece design worries me a bit. Is it strong?

It might be the barrel nut I'm using. The CA barrel nut might be closer to the real one so there is no issue with the gap. I can say for sure the combination of a G&P barrel nut with the receiver/barrel I use will cause a problem (I can PM you some detailed pics of the barrel nut, reciever, tabs, etc if you want).

The Guarder barrel is "good". It's about par with the G&P; the texture of G&P barrel is not quite "right". I chose Guarder because of the variable length feature. Again, real forends won't fit without changing the length of the barrel as well. The finish and color is close to an LMT barrel (it's much better than the CA I see in your photos), but not quite correct...still I like and recommend them. However, you should know that the barrel is acutally a three piece design. If you plan on putting awkward stress to it, I'm sure it will eventually fail. The weak point is where an allen key screw is used to tighten the first two pieces together by compression only (main barrel and reciever end), thus giving it the vari-length feature. I'm sure if you pull hard enough, the barrel will start to elongate. The third (muzzle end) piece is held with threads.

For my next project (hopefully last) I picked up an Armored Gallery 14.5-Custom Heavy. It is "superb", by far the best replica barrel I have ever seen. I'm using a Krinkov break and it fits perfectly w/o any mods!

Hope this helps.

Edited by LeMongelo

Couple points.

1. Unless my CA delta ring was some horribly defective mutant they are NOT closer in spec to real steel rings so dont waste your time Le. In fact, the MRF unit that i had would NOT fit onto the ca ring at all. The locking collar simply could not tighten down on it. Im guessing the CA ring's diameter was slightly too large.

2. The guarder vari length barrels are pretty darn strong. I never had any problems with them coming apart due to design. I abuse the hell out of my gear too. Now, static, one suggestion to you. If you're making this a skirmish rifle id strongly recommend you get the 2004 version of the guarder barrel. The 2003 version is so stupidly heavy its not even funny. By the time i was done with my m15 it must have weighed 15 pounds. :)

3. I have yet to find a milspec airsoft reciever. The guarder ones are the closest ive been able to find but blech, every single airsoft reciever appears to be wider than normal due to the nature of the beast. Afterall, a gearbox has to fit inside.

It's the Troy Medieval Muzzle break, it's meant for close quarter protection, where you might be called upon to push back an attacker. It's called a Strike head, other companies make them for pistols and shotguns, it's just meant to allow the muzzle break to act as a weapon in of itself, a non-lethal deterent.

It's also helpful in gripping on to surfaces, say if you needed to shoot the lock off a door or shoot into the hinges of a door, so that the muzzle break doesn't slip.

I have one on my gun as well, it's a cool looking flashhider, do you want to smack people with it? sure, should you? probably not:

dsc000380rq.jpg

oh i see...an alternative when you dont have a meat tenderizer and you want to tenderize some sheep meat when you're in the desert...LOL

i would like to give rep points for helping me out but im halfway to being able to do so...

all i could say is thanks!

almost done...notice there's no trigger? still waiting for a full systema gearbox.

im impressed by the new hurricane metal body. the fit and finish is perfect and the trades are deep.

the colors didnt come out right. the forend and the modstock are a very close match. the grip however darker than the forend and stock.

55582171-L.jpg

55582176-L.jpg

55582185-L.jpg

Edited by keyserSOZE
oh i see...an alternative  when you dont have a meat tenderizer and you want to tenderize some sheep meat when you're in the desert...LOL

i would like to give rep points for helping me out but im halfway to being able to do so...

all i could say is thanks!

No problem, you can always rep me when you get the ability. Glad I could help.

almost done...notice there's no trigger?  still waiting for a full systema gearbox.

im impressed by the new hurricane metal body.  the fit and finish is perfect and the trades are deep.

the colors didnt come out right.  the forend and the modstock are a very close match.  the grip however darker than the forend and stock.

that gun is absolutely GORGEOUS...if only i could afford to spend that much :(

Edited by paradigmsk8er