New shots of the ICS L85

FarEast

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why would you NOT want a 4x optical sight? i'd like it to be as realistic as possible!

Some people prefer an RDS for airsoft ranges.

Personally, if I am using a gun for woodland, I'd always go for a scope that magnifies.

I used to prefer an RDS but, these days, I prefer to use a magnifying for spotting and scouting as well as aiming. Up close you can always use iron sights.

These days I prefer to do my shooting at longer ranges. If I'm close enough that an RDS is better I've probably messed-up. :P

Last weekend, for CQB, I had an Eotech on my L85. That actually looked pretty nifty but I digress.

*EDIT*

Because the adjusters for the SUSAT are on the mount, rather than adjusting the lenses, it'd be pretty easy to build a SUSAT housing that allowed you to swap between a magnifying lens and an RDS lens.

If ICS made a SUSAT like that I would be TRULY impressed.

It'll never happen though. :(

To many people still giving ICS a bad rap, due to their prior AEGs, I mean who comes out with EVERYTHING right the first time, it takes a little time to work out the kinks, yes they should have had better quality control from the get go but their guns have never given me problems. Not to mention the easy spring removale is a GREAT IDEA!

I must admit that what with ICS being one of the leading lights in the realm of two part gear boxes I am quite surprised that their SA80 series does not have that feature. With regards to the G&G gearbox the problem was I feel not with the two part nature of the box but the fact that G&G felt the strange need to include the gimmicks that were the piston pre-cocking and the cycling fake bolt/cocking handle. Since I modded mine with the aid of Stealthbomber's guide I've suffered no further problems, in fact I've hardly used another AEG in the last 18 months, proving (if only to myself!) that G&G's design was basically good and would have had a much better reputation if only they had made it to function as a conventional AEG from the outset.

I'm very much a fan of the split gear box concept, I also have an ICS M16A3 and find post game cleaning and maintenance so much easier to carry out to the depth that I am happy with. With a standard gearbox the opportunity for cleaning and inspection is very much limited without a complete strip of the gun and gearbox, not a problem with my M16A3 and L85A1.

That said I am looking forward to seeing how the ICS take on the SA80 turns out, it certainly looks to be well engineered. I have to say it is funny to see the full A2 spec hand guard on the ICS, I work in defence and fairly regularly see real L85A2s and as yet every single one I have seen still has the old A1 fore-grip fitted, the only A2 grips I've seen were still in their plastic wrappers unopened!

To many people still giving ICS a bad rap, due to their prior AEGs, I mean who comes out with EVERYTHING right the first time, it takes a little time to work out the kinks, yes they should have had better quality control from the get go but their guns have never given me problems. Not to mention the easy spring removale is a GREAT IDEA!

Erm, ICS has a bad rapport for a reason. Their past offerings in the industry have all been less than stellar. There are some people out there that like their guns and then there are legions of others that simply cannot stand them. I myself am by no means a fan. I have never liked their m4 design as i find the two piece gearbox does not lend itself well to US velocity limits and quite frankly, the two piece design does nothing to aid in ease of maintenance for me.

Having said all of that, there is no reason why ICS cannot reclaim its position as a top competitor in the industry. They are already proving that they're willing to commit to producing guns made out of quality parts its just a matter of whether or not the replicas will function as they should in the end.

I really like to see manufacturers producing better made parts, it bridges the HUGE quality gap between real firearms and our replicas. Its really a pain in the *albatross* having to deal with the terrible build quality associated with most airsoft guns these days.

ICS dont let us down!

Thanks for the vids Fareast.

EDIT: Ahh, i see how the new spring guide works. Its basically got a bunch of different holes so that you can put the spring guide retaining pin in different locations. You're either pushing the spring guide in further or out further to increase spring tension. Not a bad system but not something i would use for long periods of time. It would be a great way to push a spring beyond its elasticity limits.

No problem..... Have to agree regarding the split gearbox design when it comes to US velocities. Here In Japan though its perfect as we are sub 1 joule.

As for those that like them and those that hate them it can be said that with any company... I for one am not a fan of G&G. You get one lemon on a $400 USD and it will put you off for life.

As for innovation though, ICS seem committed not only to produce weapons that aren't currently on the market but also when they do release one that is (Or we hope ) is an improvement on the design.

Just thought I'd mention that the above quote is wrong. The army and G+G L85s need to slide but the with RS you just tap two pins through and it clamshells open.

This looks good, I have just got a G+G one in fixer-upper condition for 60 quid so I am only in the market for the L86.

Bring it on.

right...that's what I said: the Army R85 slides open and that's why i think a one-piece gearbox would work better in the ICS L85. the ICS M4 clamshells when you take the back receiver pin out and out comes the top of the two-piece gearbox. better for M4, maybe not so good on the ICS L85.

what the *fruitcage* is an RS?

Thank you very much for the update Far East! Currently I am glad to see the SIG, MP5, and L85 progress very well. You do leave me with one question, how are ICS's torture test conducted? I would be devoted to be using thier new products only if thier gearbox engineering can handle through continuous fire and long run use.

Guay Guay are releasing their own SUSAT.It will be a 4X scope which will be a shame unless it has a low price.I hope ICS release a red dot so people have a choice!

Well I have to say that it's about time! Although I'm quite happy with using iron sights on my L85A1 and it was what I was used to on the real thing it would be nice to have the option of a SUSAT, I was very unimpressed with Star's offering the field of view was far too narrow and the aiming pointer didn't seem well enough defined. I would rather have a proper x4 than a red-dot but hopefully they may release both to cater for all our differing tastes.

Um.... :huh:

No problems here with three different "Army's" and two G&G's (which are 99% the same) ... And when i see the dude in the film bodgering around... <_<

The guy in the film is a member of the warehouse team and was shown how to strip it once and then they videoed it.... The video I up loaded was the third attempt at stripping it....also just to let you know he doesn't play airsoft either....so if a person who is unfamiliar with the weapon and doesn't play airsoft can strip it then it must be damn easy to strip!

Notice that he doesn't use any tools in the stripping either.....try that with your G&G or Army (I have the STAR, G&G and the ARMY so i know just how fiddly they can be .....especailly all those little springs!)

Thanks Far East for the review, I've been interested in this gun since I first heard ICS are making L85. I have 2 ICS M4's, the cqb and the c15 and love the reliability. Here in UK with fps limits similar to Japan, I've never seen the need to upgrade anything. I'm taking it all my ICS M4 mags will fit in the L85 which is a bonus. I've sold my precious Top M60E3 shorty to fund this aquisition. Desporate for news of UK release dates and a ball park figure for the price....

Sub £400 and I'm laughing ;)

Archived