Yay! The Tibetans are revolting!

mcnuggets

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15tibet-ledespan-600.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/15/world/as...amp;oref=slogin

Couldn't have come at a better time. I hope this ramps up before the Olympics. Time to GTFO of Tibet China.

Not sure...

It's an on going argument between them, Tibet wants sovereingty, China wants to own it.

It's been going for years, with demonstrations happening before, only downside is, if Tibet does become "Independant", it'll Fall flat on it's economic face (well, it won't have an economy).

This is a dangerous strategy.

There's not a chance in hell that the chinese government is going to think "OMG! With the Olympics coming up we'd better give them their freedom to keep them quiet".

It's VASTLY more likely that the chinese will send tanks in in the next few days, kill a few thousand people and then assume it will all blow over before the games start.

The chinese simply do not understand that people might care about things that are nothing to do with them.

The chinese would imagine that, if they have a nice shiny stadium for the Olympics, it wouldn't matter if there were bodies piled up knee deep in the country around it.

They simply won't understand that people will care about what's happening in Tibet.

They will just be thinking "We are selected to host Olympics and we have very nice Olympic stadium so why do people care about Tibet? They should just be here to do athletics."

What other strategies do they have stealth?

I don't think the Chinese can steamroll over the Tibetans like they have in the past. The international flak they'll catch, especially now that the Olympics are being held in Beijing, would be too much. They say in the article their troops are exercising restraint because of that very reason. Now is the time. Good for them for standing up to China's BS.

I don't think the Chinese can steamroll over the Tibetans like they have in the past. The international flak they'll catch, especially now that the Olympics are being held in Beijing, would be too much. Now is the time. Good for them for standing up to China's BS.

You'll never know what China is capable of.

Regardless of the Olympics, China still has to defend it's territory, and they will do that, with any force needed.

Tiananmen Square Protest 1989

That ended in a Massacre.

;)

You'll never know what China is capable of.

Regardless of the Olympics, China still has to defend it's territory, and they will do that, with any force needed.

Tiananmen Square Protest 1989

That ended in a Massacre.

;)

You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet.

There's plenty of examples of successful revolts all throughout history. I mean take at the states ;) .

You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet.

There's plenty of examples of successful revolts all throughout history. I mean take at the states ;) .

My previous post was to highlight that China can Steamroll Tibet at will.

There isn't any doubt about it, the Chinese officials handed an Ultimatum to them, now i don't know about you, but an Ultimatum in these circumstances usually ends with miltary force being used.

As for the States, they didn't have tanks rolled at them, APC's and possibly half of the PLA thrown at them did they?

:P

I don't think the Chinese can steamroll over the Tibetans like they have in the past. The international flak they'll catch, especially now that the Olympics are being held in Beijing, would be too much. They say in the article their troops are exercising restraint because of that very reason. Now is the time. Good for them for standing up to China's BS.

My own experience of the chinese is that they simply won't understand that people will object to what happens in Tibet.

A few of the more junior politicians who are either more savvy (or are genuinely sympathetic to the idea of democracy) will urge restraint but I can guarantee that there's no way all the older officials involved are going to put up with what they see as being humiliated and belittled by their inaction.

I can see this all kicking off with something as simple as rioters over-running a military position.

Their commander simply won't be able to stomach the idea of being undermined by a rabble and the resulting offensive will be huge.

In the 80s there were some politicians that were moving towards a more liberal China. After Tianamon square they were all purged.

I don't think they don't understand. I think they simply don't care. It's their country and they can do what they want in it. And I totally agree with them. I hate this freedom by peace ideal that all these free Tibet campaigners have on University campus. If you want to free Tibet you will have to do it by force. Because as it is, if the rioters/protesters force the Chinese out, all of a sudden you have a country with no military and almost no security forces, it would collapse in weeks.

You need a military insurgancy, even though it has about the same chance of working as rioting (IE almost nil) you would at least have a basic military infrastructure to halt the warlords, criminals and opertunists that would inveitably spring up upon independence.

It wouldn't even be that hard to get a foreign insurgant force in. Simply train it abroad in America, Pakistan, Africa, or wherever. Divide it into cells with people only knowing what the cell above them is doing (Like what the terrorists do) in case the Chinese infiltrate it. Then the hardest part. IIRC Nepal still has vast tracts of unpoliced land since the ending of the civil war, it would then be a case of getting your people either into Tibet claiming tourism or into these bits of Nepal stockpiling weapons who can then cross the border and start arming the 'tourists' allready in Tibet. I mean it has minimal chance of working, but pop it right into the middle of the Olympics if Taiwan declares indpendence and you have at least a chance.

Feel very sorry for the Tibetan's. Peaceful folks.

Interesting news: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23644788/

Yesterday 2 people were killed there (reported at least), I don't know how much that has raised today.

I do wish they get their land back but knowing these types of aggression, Tibet's future will (sadly :( ) be the same as Chechnya's. Tibetans are too nice and Communist China is so goddamn evil.

Not evil, just doing things the way the west did them up to thirty years ago.

I completely support the Peoples Republic in this matter. they would be insane to sign away what is now estimated to be a stockpile that would double their natural resources in areas such as Zinc and Copper.

Archived