Yay! The Tibetans are revolting!

mcnuggets

The ROC Marines also fought in Vietnam against the Communists.

I don't think you'll find many celebrities coming out publicly against the ChiComs, with the exception of Sylvester Stallone. Rambo (the new one) has to be the most anti-Communist film I've seen since Red Dawn.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the ROC situation is alot different as well as more difficult and delicate than the Tibet situation. I just feel that all this is disrupting the spirits of the games..

I know, but its the same futile claim as South Vietnamese trying to claim their land back. It's just not possible and its silly to even think about it.

BTW, the raising of flag on that island is nothing new, the base has been there for years. But that certainly does not stop any of the countries claiming the island for theirown, its just Taiwan have an outpost on it with people there ATM, makes it difficult to do anything else about it without making it into a big incident....and for once having PRC as a backup is beneficial for them even to the pro-Independence ruling party at the time.

The first part of my post was just my cynical remark to the general trend of how certain people reacts to these news. I really wonder how many of these Tibet supporters who is outthere really understand the cause, and what they are causing a mess for.....

The ROC Marines also fought in Vietnam against the Communists.

lol, no. Wrong Republic. That'd be the ROK Marines; Republic of Korea. Don't think the Taiwanese were involved in Vietnam at all.

---------------

Ah, nevermind Pjones. You suck. Had to get help at MP.net for the pics. These were from the Paris protest.

vlcsnap920406kl7.jpg

vlcsnap920547bq4.jpg

lol, no. Wrong Republic. That'd be the ROK Marines; Republic of Korea. Don't think the Taiwanese were involved in Vietnam at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War

Check the list of belligerents. ;)

Ah, nevermind Pjones. You suck. Had to get help at MP.net for the pics. These were from the Paris protest.

Yeah, sorry I don't stay up all night during the week to answer questions on the Internet. :rolleyes:

What I saw was a video feed from a helicopter shown on CNN. If I do find any pictures of it I'll post them, mmkay?

*NVM*

And forget about the pics.

----------------

I must say though, I was disappointed in the San Fran protest. For a country known for police brutality, you can't find any similar pics of American police arresting and holding up protestors like they did in London and Paris.

I must say though, I was disappointed in the San Fran protest. For a country known for police brutality, you can't find any similar pics of American police arresting and holding up protestors like they did in London and Paris.

You really do like yelling about how brilliant America is compared to every other country, don't you?

It looks like San Francisco was a peaceful protest. You do realise that the London protest wasn't exactly peaceful? People were lobbing stuff and charging at the police.

Despite nearly a year of planning and the deployment of 2,000 officers, the Metropolitan Police were unable to stop protesters breaking through the security cordon at vulnerable points. In West London the torch was nearly taken from Konnie Huq, a former Blue Peter presenter. Two demonstrators tried to douse the flame with a fire extinguisher near Ladbroke Grove, and the human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell jumped in front of a relay bus in Oxford Street. The torch was diverted from foot to a bus at St Paul’s to avoid trouble.

There was trouble from the start of the eight-hour journey from Wembley to Greenwich yesterday. A protester lunged at the torch after Sir Steve Redgrave, the five times Olympic rowing champion, passed it to a schoolgirl.

Scott Earley Jr, from Glasgow, needed dozens of police to keep baying mobs from snatching the torch as he ran past Big Ben to Westminster Bridge. “Everyone was running at you. It was a bit weird,” he said.

Tim Henman, who ran through Notting Hill, admitted: “There was definitely a bit of an edge.”

Huq, who ran despite condemning the Chinese regime, said that she was determined to hang on to the torch. “It was all a bit of a shock,” she said. “I was not expecting to be wrestled. People feel very strongly about China and human rights, but I guess that I am very lucky to be living in a country where people can have an opinion.”

This may explain why they were arrested, and it was hardly police brutality. So please shut up with your constant "omgamerikaisbettardanu" rubbish, which seems to be in every single one of your posts.

First off, I don't read his remarks that way.

Second, don't tell anyone to shut up. I find it rude, and will crack open a can of Warnmeister at the slightest suggestion of anyone doing it. Unless it's me of course.

I do NOT want to see this thread go there. Thanks for the info on the protests, however.

Being a country known for Police brutality is nothing to be proud of. I said that for the opposite reason; since people don't like Americans saying positive things about our country, I admit we ain't so perfect by stating police brutality as an issue here. Even when I mention our flaws I get responses like that. I had no intention in posting that to show how great we are but to show we have our flaws as well.

There was only one time ever when I insulted British people because I've lost my cool with all the Anti-American put downs at that moment but I've apologized for that. Since then I've been spelling out "British" instead of saying "Brit" and trying to be careful of whatever I post that might be taken wrongly. It is responses like your's, that make me want to rethink what I think about British people but I figure its only a few since most of the other British members here are quite nice to me.

America is a big and powerful nation but we have a huge list of flaws so don't get me wrong. Many nations, despite being smaller and weaker, are far better than us in the status of their citizens' life and economy (Japan and Europe for example). Our society and economy here is far from best and we are constantly split apart for many reasons; whether it be race or religion or political positions. We're only known for having a strong hand in international affairs but life in the States itself may be less than you'd imagine since our government is too busy focusing on wars and stuff that its up to each state to care for themselves.

But if you want me to go around talking smack about America then sorry but I cannot do that because I have pride in America for letting me live the way I do and giving me so many benefits in life (paying for my college tuition and assistance in paying for rent and food to say the least). Still, this is a British forum and I am a guest here so I try not to show my patriotism too much; if not at all. The United Kingdom is a very admirable place. The people are so open-minded and willing to do so many things others might consider 'taboo'. Other than that, they are very polite people as well. So if you think I have intent to make your people seem inferior, you've misjudged me... by a huge lot.

Thanks Pablo, I was afraid everyone saw me like that.

Anyways, back on topic. Here's the list of dates and places of the next "rounds"

March 24-29: Greece

March 31: Beijing

April 2: Almaty, Kazakhstan

April 3: Istanbul

April 5: St. Petersburg, Russia

April 6: London

April 7: Paris

April 9: San Francisco

April 11: Buenos Aires

April 13: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

April 14: Muscat, Oman

April 16: Islamabad, Pakistan

April 17: New Delhi, India

April 19: Bangkok

April 21: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

April 22: Jakarta, Indonesia

April 24: Canberra, Australia

April 26: Nagano, Japan

April 27: Seoul

April 28: Pyongyang, North Korea

April 29: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

May 2: Hong Kong

May 3: Macao

May 4-10: Enters Chinese provinces, including at one point a trip up Mount Everest from the Tibet side

May 20-21: Shanghai

Aug. 6: Beijing

Aug. 8: Start of Olympics

---------------------------------

I think I found out a reason the San Fran protest was peaceful.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080410/en_af...08_080410074431

"In fact, after some troubles in London, I sent a message in Tibetan in San Francisco area: Please do not make any violent activity," the Dalai Lama said.

A simple "please and thank you" by the Dalai Lama. lol.

I found some of your posts in this thread to be "my country is better than yours", especially the one I replied to and this one:

This situation is lasting alot longer than I thought it would.

Lookie here, even mighty Britain herself is under protests:

It appeared to be laced in sarcasm, however, if this wasn't your intent then I apologise for leaping down your throat. I didn't expect you to put down your own country, I misinterpreted your post as putting down others and claiming that the USA was the greatest (which it is, in some ways). ;)

Also, I don't see how "brit" could be interpreted as an insult, as it's very similar to "limey" and "yank". Personally, I've never understood what most yank members fall back is when someone says something that they disagree with, or that is contrary to USA politics, which is "you're anti-American". It seems rather arrogant to me, people thinking that simply because someone disagrees or dislikes something, that they're against a whole country of people. :huh:

So, I apologise again for attacking you, I misinterpreted your post. A pity text doesn't have a tone of voice function.

Oh, Europe isn't a nation. ;)

Oh, Europe isn't a nation. ;)

And this might just be why people misjudge me. Because I often make wording problems just to be brief and to the point. I admit some of my posts earlier could be taken wrongly (like the one you reposted) and the other one with the video to a guy saying how we should "hate the evil, dirty British". People could have thought I actually think the British are those things....which I don't, I actually posted that specific post in sarcasm directing toward the ignorance of the guy in the vid.

As for the "Anti-American" thing, that may as well be another part of our culture I'm not aware of because as you know, in the US, there are many culture differences inside as well depending on where in the states you live. There's the serious and business-like guys in the Washington State area always protesting and getting into useless bickering often (these are the guys more likely to use the "anti-American" comeback), then there are the hillbillies in the Montana area, the "cowboys" (doesn't mean they ride horses and shoot natives) in the Texas area, the eskimo guys in Alaska who eat live fish (not sure about this though), the tough, rude, and assertive guys in the New York area..etc..etc... then you get to my area, Hawaii, probably the most laziest part of America where everyone is so carefree and "sloth-like" that it's disgusting.

Perhaps its best if I just stop posting in the Off-topic section because nothing good comes from my posts anyways (even when I asked for skateboard advice, I get accused of enforcing my "American ways" onto people); but the temptations are just so hard to resist. Its probably just a culture thing, what I find sarcastic and funny, others find insulting. Then again, I had bad experiences in the American airsoft forums as well (reason why I'm here) so I guess its just me. :(

PS- Oh yea, you're the guy that made me decide to change my sig and then have the new sig overlimit thus having all my well-organized links removed as well and making me start all over... <_< ... lol j/k

FWIW, the reason the protests in San Francisco were so low key is because the authorities altered the route at the last minute and left all the protesters high and dry.

Again, hardly in the olympic spirit, is it?

If you have to hide the olympic torch from the public then why bother carting it around the world at all?

It's kinda like there's a walrus sat at the dinner table and nobody is asking about it.

It's blatantly obvious that there's something wrong about the chinese olympics but everybody's just ignoring it all and going through the motions as if it's all good-natured with added hugs and fuzzy-bunnies.

I know it's always going to be a big decision for an athlete to boycott an olympics but I really feel that we're currently reinforcing the chinese idea that they can do whatever the hell they want as long as they put on a nice front for the public and we shouldn't be endorsing those policies.

If I was an Olympic Athlete that won a medal, I would absolutely collect my medal with a huge Tibetan flag stuffed down my top ready to pull out when the cameras are on me.

Or maybe get it tatooed on my chest.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't really care about Tibet, I just don't like the Chinese Government.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't really care about Tibet, I just don't like the Chinese Government.

you and I think 95% of the free Tibet crowd now, which just make it all the more annoying as China might be heavy handed in their response, but they are doing what any government will do to any violent revolt......

But then again, why should anyone care, its not their people or their life, its just fun to jump on bandwagons.... :rolleyes:

FWIW, the reason the protests in San Francisco were so low key is because the authorities altered the route at the last minute and left all the protesters high and dry.

Again, hardly in the olympic spirit, is it?

If you have to hide the olympic torch from the public then why bother carting it around the world at all?

That must have ticked a few families off, who just wanted to see the torch. Gotta love the reasoning here. :D

It reminds me of other contradictions between talk and walk in the western world. Such as; If all people are indeed equal regardless of sex, color of skin and so on, why would you need quotas? Or, if the recent Fitna movie is just a provocation and doesn't reflect the truth in the least bit, why did the Netherlands increase its alertness for terrorist attacks at the time of the movie release?

Everything is hypocritical BS nowadays. But that doesn't mean I'm nostalgic; I'm sure everything was hypocritical BS before, but the common people just didn't know about it - or didn't have time to bother themselves with it.

I'm not that concerned about where the olympics are held and if it upsets someone, because I think that this kind of professional athletism to a civilized nation is what cancer is to a human body.

-Sale

Everything is hypocritical BS nowadays. But that doesn't mean I'm nostalgic; I'm sure everything was hypocritical BS before, but the common people just didn't know about it - or didn't have time to bother themselves with it.

I'm pretty sure that they did but didn't have the Internet to go out and blab about it to thousands of people at a time. :)

For example a lot of people were up in arms about the Boer War and particularly the poor conditions of the concentration camps. We'd definitely have a good 30 page thread on that!

but they are doing what any government will do to any violent revolt......

There have always been revolts and riots across the world (haven't you watched 'The World's Most Extreme Videos'? lol.) but the police don't shoot and kill the rioters... <_<

Usually the worst riots just call out the water canons or the clubs. Very rarely do people get purposely killed by the police and when that happens that police officer gets a heap load on him from the media.

Korea has some amazing riots. I recall seeing one with thousands of protesters scaring the riot police onto buses.

you and I think 95% of the free Tibet crowd now, which just make it all the more annoying as China might be heavy handed in their response, but they are doing what any government will do to any violent revolt......

Yes, this and this are both what "any government will do to any violent revolt." Is that what you're saying?

Look up collective punishment on Wikipedia and check out what Human Rights Watch has to say.

Excellent points, Stealth. But you've failed to take into effect the fact that the IOC just doesn't give a rat's *albartroth*. :P

What's the world coming to when Jag' and I find ourselves in agreement? :o

That's the thing, though.

You can bet your *albatross* that the foundations of the chinese olympic stadium will contain the remains of people who died working to build it. And their families if they tried to ask what happened to them.

If we DO ignore the political situation in china and Tibet we're reinforcing the chinese opinion that they can do whatever they want with no consequences.

I'm pretty sure Saddam thought Kuwait should be part of Iraq and look where it got him?

I find it hard to accept that china can attempt to annex Tibet while we're all being told to sit in front of the television like good little sheeple (by the same media that told us to hate Saddam) and nobody is even sending strongly worded letters or angry emails to Hu Jintao.

What's the world coming to when Jag' and I find ourselves in agreement? :o

That's the thing, though.

You can bet your *albatross* that the foundations of the chinese olympic stadium will contain the remains of people who died working to build it. And their families if they tried to ask what happened to them.

If we DO ignore the political situation in china and Tibet we're reinforcing the chinese opinion that they can do whatever they want with no consequences.

I'm pretty sure Saddam thought Kuwait should be part of Iraq and look where it got him?

I find it hard to accept that china can attempt to annex Tibet while we're all being told to sit in front of the television like good little sheeple (by the same media that told us to hate Saddam) and nobody is even sending strongly worded letters or angry emails to Hu Jintao.

Well said.

Although I think Saddam had his eyes on Saudi as well as Kuwait. :o

Archived