AK & Variants Picture Thread

take some stuff off the front? :P

assuming it's rail mounted gubbins you probably dont need all of it. theres not really much you can put on the back of an AK, at least not anything with enough weight to balance a front heavy gun. plus at the end of the day it's just more weight, so you'll go from something front heavy to slightly better balanced but very heavy.

just remove your flashlights, NV scopes, weaver mounted tactical toasters etc whenever you dont need them. rails are meant to be an easily modifiable, modular system after all ;)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have a grip on the front, and an ACOG in the middle. It's the lack of a heavier stock that's making this happen. I'll probably just leave it alone, I've been too used to my FAMAS having all the weight in the back is all.

oh, i see. not much you can really do about that then. i assume it's an AIMS?

funny because i find my AKS74 very well balanced indeed and i cant see why it should be any less heavy, the stock is only thin folded steel while an AIMS is a solid bar.

Nah, it's that *suitcase* stain with the M4 LE stock. Perhaps some sort of pouch back there would do...

as 1st post I just have to say this... AK Rulez...

this is mine... or it was when new...

06122008421.jpg

and now its like this... in mid modification...

DSCF4691.jpg

DSCF4692.jpg

DSCF4693.jpg

DSCF4694.jpg

it will have the wood in a dark tone, oil and rust stains...

and this was my JG SVD but it has set sail to other hands...

IMAG0007.jpg

cheers

I know that at this point it is very unreallistic...

the purpose was to bring the metal to the surface and remove the paint that came as stock...

the second fase wil be, smooth everything to look aged...

then I will give it some oil, rust, dust, and all the wear and tear...

if it goes wrong I can always Respray it...

cheers

i suggest you leave it in some paint stripper to get rid of the rest of the paint, re-spray in a semi-gloss black (more realistic than Dboys matte paint) and then gradually weather it with a scotch brite pad. rub over the whole gun with it, it'll weather raised ares and edges mainly, just for god's sake dont have random patches of paint missing on the reciever. that doesnt happen on real guns. the paint only really gets worn off on raised edges and the like, the reciever wont have pristine paint but it will usually still be intact.

the wood is very overdone too, real wood will often have some of the finish worn down, but you'll rarely see wood that is worn right down to bare wood like yours

the idea for my AKS came from these photos...

as you can see... paint is very few or none!!!!

090302mvausrusestunwaffdv0.jpg

Nigerianmilitiamarijuanagangster-3.jpg

p1020303waffede640mt1.jpg

and the sling will be one of the type....

tacticalsling.jpg

cheers

PS: this one not even has side panels, you can see the internals...

AfricaninfantrymanoftheyearLiberian.jpg

Edited by pikuinhas08

good luck with that - thats corrosion to the point of complete structural breakdown where you could put your finger thru the metal.

short of soaking the parts in hydrocholric acid or tying them on a rope to the local seaside pier and dragging them out a few weeks later I really dont see you being able to emulate that (even if you did I wouldnt hold out much long term use for them afterwards)

pikuinhas08, to create major rust like that you could try galvanic corrosion with salt water as an electrolyte and with the gun as the anode. However, since your gun is a Kalash, some parts of it (the barrel, front sight, gas block) are not made of steel so they won't rust, atleast not like that. Personally I wouldn't screw around with chemicals since it's possible to create some nasty fumes if you don't know what you're doing.

Also to be exact, real AK's like that ones in the pictures that you posted are not painted, they are blued, so there never really was any paint on those things to begin with. A blued surface will start to rust unless it's oiled from time to time.