Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Yeah it's not perfect but it's certainly not a reason to not buy the gun. If your waiting around for the exact perfect gun and parts combo for your tastes you could be waiting a long time. I've since owned a Sopmod for 2 years, then converted it to an m16a3, then sold that on to then get a socom. All in the time you've mentioned you might like a Sopmod. All time that could have been spent enjoying a Sopmod. If some one maintains there Sopmod properly they will never need to replace a lower receiver or stock tube. It's running the gun with a loose locking ring or cross threading which cause damage to the tube, the recievers only need to be replaced when dropped or cracked. Yeah I'd like a source of lower recievers but they are eye candy, the real problem is the stock tubes and having a source of those.

Richard, would you say that what breaks is the threading on:

a ) lower receiver

b )stock tube

c ) both?

I'm asking cause my old sopmod still waits for me to fix it, suffering from broken threading... I never got to do it since I have the Socom running 100%. But I want to plan.

Edited by elanaiba

The lower reciever thread is hard, the stock tube thread not so hard it's allways the stock tube thread that wears. The lower recievers fine you just need a stock tube. Remember also the laylax locking ring is tighter, in some cases you can fit the ring and fix bent or miss aligned tubes, where they are worn but bot completely worn.

• Like 1

the Dytac 14.4 and 10.5 outers are now availible on ebaybanned .

eHobby have had pretty much the full line for a while now, WGC just got in the complete line-up a couple of days ago. It is a shame about the lack of the cuts, but that can be worked around with a bit of effort.

Edited by CKinnerley

Hello Sopmod/Socom fans. I am a Socom owner myself and I have been watching this thread for a long time getting a lot of useful info from you guys.

The problem is that my Socom stopped working during Sunday's game. When I press the trigger, I just hear a sound like the gears are stripped or something similar. My intention is to get it to a local gunsmith and since I have to do this I'm also thinking of upgrading the internals. My question is what parts do I need to have a reliable gearbox with a 110 spring that Richard is selling. I have read Richard's upgrade guide on the Eagle6 site but still am not sure about what parts I need for this. Thanks.

You dont need any upgrades, BUT as with any spring upgrade in any gun, its always recommended you have a better battery than 8.4v.

If youve striped the gears it might be worth upgrading those, as the gearset in the sopmod is definatly a weak point given enough time and rounds.

If your doing gears it's worth fitting 6mm bearings while you are at it. They are a tight fit so don't feel bad of you need some force to press them in. Obviously check the condition of the piston and also the condition of the motor pinion gear while you are at it.

How did you install the bushings/bearings?

I tried Systema bushings first, they didn't fit at all, I actually bent my gearbox shell while trying to hammer them in (with a rubber hammer).

Now I have the Prometheus sintered bushings and they are exactly the same size...

This is physically impossible, the stock bushings are smaller by at least 0,04 mm and they are out of plastic, how did you all manage to install steel ones that are actually bigger than the gearboxholes without destroying the gearbox or the bushings themselves??

Edit: Never mind, I've got them in.. Found a screwdiver that fits exactly into the hole of the bushings, which helped alot to push then into the gearbox straight.

Edited by Lord Vader

Hi all. I need help.

Recently i Have Upgraded the Recce TM Spring and Tight bore Barrel. TM High Cycle Motor. Still Using Standard SOPMOD Batteries.

My Problem is that the Selector Switch Clicked on Single Doesn't Work. It feels like the Motor does want to turn. The trigger has a clicking noise.

If you turn the Selector switch slightly off to the left, side of safe and single shoot it works fine. Putting the Selector switch on Auto its fine. But click it on single, doesn't work.

Everything was put back in place correctly when apart to upgrade. What do you think is the problem?

Could it be about contacts and the selector plate that makes the connection for Single and Auto Functions? I'm not an expert, but surely you can only put the gearbox one way. Could i've set it wrong when putting the gear box back in, and not lined up the selector switch to function correctly. Do i need to take off the selector plate and re-line it. Is the Connection damage, i can't see why as i didn't touch it for the upgrade spring.

Could it be possible that the standard SOPMOD batteries don't have enough currents and it is effecting the Singe and Auto Functions.

My Local Store and myself are very confused. It was fine before standard.

HELP sad.gif

its normally battery packs, they need upgrading. Also please confrim if you fit an eagle6 spring or not, ive opened up many a sopmod to find a full length aeg spring in there.

Normal Spring to 330fps. But i don't understand why that matters with the normal battery and spring. It works fine on single if i leave it off to the left, the selector switch. But clicked on single it doesn't pull. Auto Fine.

Is a Eagle6 Spring Shorter that can achieve 330fps.

My store seems to think its about the selector plate and the contacts with it.

Normal Spring to 330fps. But i don't understand why that matters with the normal battery and spring. It works fine on single if i leave it off to the left, the selector switch. But clicked on single it doesn't pull. Auto Fine.

Is a Eagle6 Spring Shorter that can achieve 330fps.

My store seems to think its about the selector plate and the contacts with it.

Check the electronic safety is making a good connection, depending on the postion of the selector plate it pushes down different amounts on the electric saftey. The idea is when its in safe its not pushing the metal contacts down at all. As you slide it acccross to single it pushes it down half. Then in full auto it pushes it down full.

Both single and full are obviously a connection but if the point as which it makes a connection isnt at single and isnt infact somewhere between single and full then id say you should go in and either soldier them together as you dont need an electric saftey! or build up the height a little on top of the saftety which is what we do so it pushes it down harder.

Eventually when the new ecus come out it will completely replace the whole problem, which is why the ecu upgrade will probably be the single most important upgrade any sopmod owner will do.

The reason you fit the shorter eagle6 springs is there is less pressure in side the gearbox. If there are too many coils it can cuase strain on your stock tube threads... Every gun ive had to replace a stock tube on has had a normal aeg spring in it. I didnt make sopmod specific springs for the fun of it :P

When you took the old one out and fit one that was two inchs longer you didnt think hmm hang on a min somethings different ?

Check the electronic safety is making a good connection, depending on the postion of the selector plate it pushes down different amounts on the electric saftey. The idea is when its in safe its not pushing the metal contacts down at all. As you slide it acccross to single it pushes it down half. Then in full auto it pushes it down full.

Both single and full are obviously a connection but if the point as which it makes a connection isnt at single and isnt infact somewhere between single and full then id say you should go in and either soldier them together as you dont need an electric saftey! or build up the height a little on top of the saftety which is what we do so it pushes it down harder.

Eventually when the new ecus come out it will completely replace the whole problem, which is why the ecu upgrade will probably be the single most important upgrade any sopmod owner will do.

The reason you fit the shorter eagle6 springs is there is less pressure in side the gearbox. If there are too many coils it can cuase strain on your stock tube threads... Every gun ive had to replace a stock tube on has had a normal aeg spring in it. I didnt make sopmod specific springs for the fun of it :P

When you took the old one out and fit one that was two inchs longer you didnt think hmm hang on a min somethings different ?

Thank you for some great advise. and will pass it on to my store. would you recommend that i get a stronger spring and cut the coils to get it down to 330fps.

About the stock tube strains, So the tread goes. I'm guessing this will cause the tube to be lose. And effect the recoil functions.

Don't need Electric safety, would that mean the gun can't go on safe?

ECU upgrade? When will this come out?

Thanks again... if i have problems still, are you able to sort it out, and if so. how.

Thanks again dude.

I don't think there is much differene between the brands. I had a real Knights one and I used a three panel lipo, though that was a really tight fit. And when I say tight, I mean I actually bent the cells a little (I know that thats bad) and it still took some time to fiddle the battery in.

So its possible, but I would not recommend it. With a two panel lipo it is probably not a big deal.

After using a peq-box, I'm now going back to tri-panel lipo, but I will dremel my barrel to make it thinner. Did this already to a friends one, and it works very well that way.