WE MEU... and how it keeps failing

Schaap

This is my part of the story on WE handguns, and how it keeps failing and failing...

At first, when I ordered my WE MEU at WGC, I was quite excited: having read both positive and negative comments about WE's overal quality, I was looking forward to my "full metal" and "full trademark" "bargain" MEU.

I was quite happy when opening the box: the overal finishing didn't seem to be that bad, though it felt a bit wobbly...

Problem 1: the paint came of when I touched it... What the hell?

Problem 2, 1 skirm later: I opened the MEU for a lube-job and I was supprised to see that the 'ring' of the spring plug was broken off... Trying to put it back together with industrial glue didn't work well.. Guess I was forced to use it without the ring then.

Problem 3: 5 rounds later, I was firing more than just BB's: the spring plug and a part of the barrel bushing went airborne; again... industrial glue can't fix the problem.

I'm about to buy a WA Barrel bushing, but at what cost? I mean... what next is going to fail? Is it the slide? The slide stop?

It surely is the first and last WE-Tech replica I have bought...

I'd like to hear from you guys what problems you had with WE's... Yes, I have used the search button...and that is why I am even more dissapointed the find out that my MEU was made out of pure FAILURE-metal...

Now I am stuck with this UTTER PIECE OF ####... THANK YOU WE-TECH!

@chris: well, that really was the last time I buy cheap stuff... Expensive stuff, com' 'ere!

Spartan, thank you for the irony, but unfortunatly, it seems that many people (including me) have a false idea of what WE is like, prior to buying one...

@chris: well, that really was the last time I buy cheap stuff... Expensive stuff, com' 'ere!

Spartan, thank you for the irony, but unfortunatly, it seems that many people (including me) have a false idea of what WE is like, prior to buying one...

It happens to the best of us, I kinda noticed that most of the good reviews on the WE come from youtube

Yeah I can understand you're disappointed but in the future you will now know to do some research before making any purchases. Read reviews, articles and listen to other peoples opinions before you dive in and buy anything in the future.

It's a hard lesson to learn but it's one you've now learned.

Sorry dude :(

It's a hard lesson to learn

It is, there is a dent in my wall caused by airborne parts :P

Now that the 'shock and awe' of the flying MEU parts is over, it is time to think rationally: I should have known what it is worth.

Well, after all, it's airsoft... Guess I'll just have to find a way to keep it working!

I was amazed at the price of the WE MEU being so cheap but then again you get what you pay for. I try to stick to TM or WA as the quality of both is second to none 'in my opinion'. I'd defo look at getting a TM MEU or I think Chris above has his WA for sale and it will be a well looked after pistol. Give him a shout!

Seems WE have a higher than usual Lemon rate.

The speed at which your WE failed is unusual, but the fact is that cheap metal is not better than expensive plastic...

Some people find WE guns pretty decent and have good experiences with them, but you are buying at the low end of the market...

Cheers

The socom gear pistols seem to be holding up alright.

Yes, every now and then the socom gear pistols will break in exactly the same manner that you described but the difference is that socom gear is committed to customer service.

People that buy SG pistols from reputable retailers dont have any problems obtaining spare parts.

So far I have two WE pistols : A Hi-Capa 5.1 (that's my airsoft IPSC gun) and a Socomgear Wilson combat.

No problems with either of them.

The Hi-Capa is a real gas hog, but for a competition gun, that's almost expected. My Wilson is my main skirmish pistol, and so far it's holding up pretty well.

Looks like WE needs to take a look at their quality control...

Well, I shortened the spring guide (it seemed to hit the end of the spring plug), shortened the plug a big to make sure that doesn't get the "blow" when the slide goes back, and added a small padding to the spring guide, that now stops the slide instead of hitting the plug with a mega-force (causing the bushing to bend)

I've tested it with another WE MEU I have here at home, and it seems to hold up... a WA bushing is on its way...

Thanks for the support guys!

• 2 weeks later...

I always laugh when I see a WE problem thread...my experience with these guns has been that they're junk in nearly all regards. Finish, fit, reliability...just junk.

But I got a MEU, unexpectedly, for my birthday. I can't believe how nice it is. I've got a dozen or so mags through problem free, but beyond that it really is surprisingly nice. Decent markings, fewer rattles than my TM 1911/2011 guns...really, a surprising step up from what I've been used to from WE. I'm interested to see how long it lasts...

I'm interested to see how long it lasts...

Mod your spring guide (aka: remove 1-2cm), before your spring plug breaks in pieces like mine did!

And yes indeed, the trademarks are good, the handgrips too.

If you want something with nice trademarks, for little money, get the WE and do the modification I said, before it breaks.

However - here it comes - if I was to trust my life on a GBB, I wouldn't buy the WE. Not now, and not in a million years.

Oh yes, please inform me when you have no paint left on your WE. I think I'm half-way...

A "long and happy life" for a WE product seems to be six months, from my experience.

They're sub-par products, and should be avoided. The only purpose one has is as a holster filler. If you actually plan on shooting the weapon, the extra money towards a Marui is well worth it.

My WE Dragon copped out after a month, and had abysmal range.

My TM 1911, with upgrades, outshoots most rifles it goes against, and still serves me strong. (Not sure how long I've owned it, but damn sure it's more than a month! :P )

This is why anyone who tells you clones are as good as Japanese guns are wrong.

However, having said that, they can be quite nice guns to own, and with small mods out of the box, can be pretty reliable.

Our team has two snipers, of which I'm one. I usually carry a WA SV Infinity 6" LTD SCW IED 1911, but have recently changed to a KSC USP Compact.

The other sniper has had a WE 1911 for aggggggges, and he loves it. He frequently switches to pistol as our playing style differs... I prefer to take on targets at long range, and not get too close, whereas he is prone to guerrilla warefare style hit-and-run close up raids with a pistol.

I hardly ever pull my handgun, but he has used that WE constantly for quite awhile now, with no problems.

I think he has something like 5 mags for it now.

Ben.

Archived