TSI Tavor Update

rws591

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Friday has come and gone, any news ?

Hristo - if you haven't had your tracking number and yours was a May order (second batch), I can only conclude that third batch shipping hasn't started yet :angry:

Have you hassled the suppliers?

Greg.

Yes - some people have emailed TSI and responses have been reported in the thread. Questions have also been asked on Facebook.

Edit: not sure if anyone has hassled about the Friday thing in particular, though.

I suspect he'll be told 'Friday'. Everyone else seems to be getting that message.

Oh - isn't X459's due today? :)

Yeah - it does seem a bit strange, but in fairness the majority of people I airsoft with don't bother with forums.

mail from guy

Hi Jonas,

Your order will most likely ship towards the end of this coming week.

Best regards,

Guy Ayal

TSI Armories LLC

To: sales@tsiarmories.com

Sent: Fri, October 3Subject: shipment0, 2009 2:29:29 PM

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}Hello

I was wondering how far u are at this point with the shipment of the tavors

i ordered the 13th may. so if u could give a possible date of my shipment id mutch appreciate it

greetings

SO that friday has passed and i got to my utmost surprize no tracking number

and if i send him mail about it he does not bother to reply

great service

Can't recall if this was mentioned earlier, but weight is pretty much dead-on. That was surprising because the replica seems very, very light to me.

However, I weighed it using a digital fish scale. With a 9.6v, 2100mAh battery in the gun, the weight was right at 7lbs, 4oz. According to worldguns, the real deal is 7.194lbs empty (7lbs, 3oz).

At the risk of starting a further 'net riot in this thread, my gun showed up with a couple minor issues. Emailed TSI the details and waiting on a response.

Mechbox comes out super-easy indeed. Pretty nifty actually. Cocking handle does bind, as bk mentioned. I don't really care about that since I don't use it anyway. Would have been nice if the circuit board was shrink-wrapped for a bit more moisture protection, but the manual specifies to watch out for that. I've cycled the mechbox so it works, but haven't put any rounds through it. The selector switch is very stiff and clicks firmly into place, but doesn't align that well with the markings on the receiver.

Hop does adjust easily; build materials seem pretty good overall. Seems a pretty solid gun, albeit very light. I'd love to check out a real one now to compare. Finishes are nice. Can't wait to get the MARS on it.

I am really not worried about the wait. Good things take time, there are many examples to it.

However, what worries me is how someone who consistently misses every single deadline (even in the space of few days) can deliver a reliable product. That's the real worry. :(

Would have been nice if the circuit board was shrink-wrapped for a bit more moisture protection, but the manual specifies to watch out for that.

Hasn't this been addressed to, specifically per IDF request ? Wasn't the fix one of the reasons for a week delay in early October ?

On a sidenote, this is very much a custom gun. While some parts are well-made and done with volume production tooling, other parts/aspects are done in a smaller scale custom way. I have owned and do own a lot of different guns, plus I'm a mechanical engineer. To put it simply, this is no Tokyo Marui out of the box, i.e. TM stuff is consistently well-designed with good detail design practices.....I've found some minor things on this gun that would have been advisable. However, I can understand the limitations, and the overall large parts are nice.

At this point, I can say I was expecting a bit more, but I'm sure I'll feel a bit more positive once the mag catch/release thing is worked out.

Speaking of, bk, can you get detail pictures into your magwell at both ends, capturing the mag catch and mag release parts? As well as the rear of the magwell? I'd like to compare to mine.

On a sidenote, this is very much a custom gun. While some parts are well-made and done with volume production tooling, other parts/aspects are done in a smaller scale custom way. I have owned and do own a lot of different guns, plus I'm a mechanical engineer. To put it simply, this is no Tokyo Marui out of the box, i.e. TM stuff is consistently well-designed with good detail design practices.....I've found some minor things on this gun that would have been advisable. However, I can understand the limitations, and the overall large parts are nice.

At this point, I can say I was expecting a bit more, but I'm sure I'll feel a bit more positive once the mag catch/release thing is worked out.

Speaking of, bk, can you get detail pictures into your magwell at both ends, capturing the mag catch and mag release parts? As well as the rear of the magwell? I'd like to compare to mine.

For some reason I can't get pics with my camara, only my phone. Getting really detailed pics may be tricky.

BK, have you tried measuring the length ? It looks huge, even if you're 6'2".

Here's the real one, either the girl is a giant or this one is smaller ;)

th_tavor-girl.jpg

The gun is around 28.25 inches/716-718mm from butt to flashtip (using a rather inexact tape measure method). It's longer then worldguns.ru says the CTAR is, AND what the TSI site says. I don't know why, but I assume they had to extend it a bit to fit in the board in the front, and the V.3 box in the back. Trade off for non-propriatary parts?

EDIT: Oh, and it does seem wider too, but I believe USCMCorps addressed that being do to making the battery compartment able to fit most batteries in the 9.6v range.....trade off again.

Is it a trick of the light or angle? Surely it can't be as disproportionately big as it looks in BK's pic?

It's not just the length - the whole thing looks bigger. The Ares Tavor I've handled looked much smaller (in a good way).

The pic was taken in Florescent light at night and I am standing angled slightly toward the camara. As I said before, I does seem bigger than any pic i've seen online, BUT it does get smaller as you handle it. It's still a small gun. Going around corners with it is insane! Very tight! Mag catch issue was the only thing i've found so far, and that was fixed immediately and was easy to do, even for me ;)

718mm for CTAR ? Even ARES is shorter, but still longer than what IWI says (640mm).

That's more than 10% difference, like someone making an M16 115cm (45 inches) long ;). Would IDF chose such a gun for training if difference was that much ?

718mm for CTAR ? Even ARES is shorter, but still longer than what IWI says (640mm).

That's more than 10% difference, like someone making an M16 115cm (45 inches) long ;)

well, from butt to the front of the gun's body is 640~mm. Still doesn't jive with the tsi website, but it is still short

AustinWolv - just to confirm, you have the same issue as BK with the hop's feed tube being too long?

EDIT: Oh, and it does seem wider too, but I believe USCMCorps addressed that being do to making the battery compartment able to fit most batteries in the 9.6v range.....trade off again.

I have reconciled myself with that, but I hadn't heard that was the case until uscmCorps mentioned it.

The gun is around 28.25 inches/716-718mm from butt to flashtip (using a rather inexact tape measure method). It's longer then worldguns.ru says the CTAR is, AND what the TSI site says. I don't know why, but I assume they had to extend it a bit to fit in the board in the front, and the V.3 box in the back. Trade off for non-propriatary parts?

WTF?! The CTAR is 3" longer than the real steel??? Considering the discourse earlier in the thread about the TSI being a simulacrum of the real steel, due to access to the IWI's schematics, this is a bit hard to take.

I'm not sure where to go with this now. If it is that long, I'm expecting an AEG that is well out of spec.

Edit: what are the chances the IWI's stated length of 640mm is incorrect, I wonder?

i did a quick overlay of the real one and the image posted above, it does appear to be wayyy bigger than the real pic posted but it seems to be some sort of optical illusion. the image isnt perfect but i made sure not to stretch them so they keep the same proportions. the TSI seems to be less slender around the bolt release area, i suspect because of the gearbox. the rest seems to fit with the real design.

Save them and flick through them in picture viewer. its a lot closer than it appears in the previous pics. :)

4085675877_04412ec92b.jpg

4085671635_191762cfb5.jpg

4085662307_392a596f7e.jpg

Archived