New MBITRs from Toysoldier and Spartan Airsoft

KWP

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 0.5w part is U.S. legal without license so they are on the right track, now just to get the right freq's. I would even go for a UHF or full GMRS model and get the licensing.

Thanks again KWP.

EDIT #1:

Don't know what the numbers mean but thanks. Now all we need is a comms techie to let us know what's up.

-Luis

Unfortunately, those 409.xxxx channels are the HK equivelent of the U.S. FRS frequencies. So, for HK, they are freely available to use for short range radio traffic. However, in the U.S. those same channels are reserved by the FCC for government use, thus illegal for the average consumer.

EDIT #2:

With the Spartan one, I only see a single pin adapter, I am currently running a Midland which is two pin. I wonder if they have or plan to do a two pin adapter.

If you are referring to the picture with part of the frogman headset, that "single pin" is attatched to the headset. The Spartan requires you to have your own functional radio and headset purchased seperate. They provide a faux adapter that you "build" around the wiring of your headset and attatch that to the radio. Sooooooooooo, if you have a two pin setup you should be ok, provided the radio fits inside the Spartan shell.

Alright, good news:

After the initial launch of the HK/China version, there will also be a US version (I guess that would be FRS, right?). Different to the HK/China version it will have a higher transmission power of 1.5W.

Alright, good news:

After the initial launch of the HK/China version, there will also be a US version (I guess that would be FRS, right?). Different to the HK/China version it will have a higher transmission power of 1.5W.

Woot woot!!! :D

That P226 is going to have to wait. :P

-Luis

Alright, good news:

FRS is limited to 0.5w. Kinda a dumb move, though many will like it if they're cool with bending the law. If the antenna is still removable, it'll be out of spec anyway. Usable, but not legal.

That's fantastic news! Lets not be too hasty to write it off as illegal though; one could hope that if they are going through the trouble of making a "US version" then hopefully they will make it legal in all aspects...

Removable antennae does not make it illegal. Just a clarification. Its the combination of freq, power, and antennae.

But with a license they can used. Which several US teams acquire in order to run better radios here. Its not a huge obstacle to US sales. Most airsoft players in the US are not minors and can pursue things such as these......

A GMRS license applies to your entire immediate family. I called and asked the FCC.

So my GMRS license applies to my wife and kids. So... Once my kids are old enough to play airsoft, we'll be set.

Airsoftradio.com made Radios a topic in one of their shows.

Been a long while since their last show, but past shows can be downloaded from their website.

A pity they didn't go on air anymore. They were really good.

About the TS radio, I try to get more info about the US version.

What if...

...they (TS) offer two versions of the radio. One with remote antenna and one standard mounted, both non-removable. Then, it would be the choice of the customer at the time of purchase to decide which mounting option they wanted. Although, this isn't completely ideal for realism it would be an answer to the fixed antenna problem.

Also, a lot of hybrid FRS/GMRS radios operate "up to" and beyond 1.5w depending on the channels and equipment. Using a specific range of FRS channels you could operate at 0.5w and license free. However, the option would be there to operate using another specific range of GMRS channels that require a license. For those with FRS/GMRS radio you know what I mean. If they decide to make this a hybrid radio with "bubble pack" internals, then that problem would be solved, as well.

On a flip side, GMRS alone can operate up to 50w (yes, fifty) and is not restricted to an internal antenna, however, licensing is required. For standalone GMRS beyond 5w (five watts), though, the legal ground starts getting really funny and equipment becomes considerably more expensive.

One way or another, I will see you guys in the line for TS MBITR radios.

Note: Essentially, if they use typical motorola talkabout style internals it shouldn't be that hard to remain U.S. legal. They would then leave it up to U.S. customers to use FRS or GMRS, with or without a license.

Removable antennae does not make it illegal. Just a clarification. Its the combination of freq, power, and antennae.

But with a license they can used. Which several US teams acquire in order to run better radios here. Its not a huge obstacle to US sales. Most airsoft players in the US are not minors and can pursue things such as these......

A GMRS license would only apply to FCC type approved equipment, which this isn't. RF gear is subject to a lot of scrutiny for many good reasons.

Yuck, preorder.

*edit - that said, it looks to use FRS frequencies. If it's good, and can take modular antennas, I'll definitely pick one up after it's released.

Those do indeed seem to use U.S. FRS channels. Interesting.

LINK #1

LINK #2

I think that I will wait for it to be released, as well...

...maybe :whistling:

EDIT: plus a comtac connector would seal the deal, for me.

Archived