Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

The Thief Lord

Forget my comment above, I was thinking from a Console gamer's view, not a PC gamer's view.

The reality is, IW has gotten way too big for it's own good, and the amount of petition signers won't mean anything to them, since they'll still be racking in millions of dollars from the Console players.

I do miss the CS:S and COD2 days on the PC...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pity about HALF of the signatures are spamboits, duplicates, fake names, and single name entries and so will be ignored. If these idiots were serious they'd have entered their full name and/or deleted the fake entries.

for example

158597. Jelicic Slobodan angus7

158596. Ninou [b69]Ninou

158595. Jarod fLanKeD

158594. Angel Enano

158593. Thomas Helmn {BoSS}Hopper

158592. Jean Francois Bel Krieg

158591. Joshua Burton Gravypants

158590. Denny Treichel PRIME_030

158589. Steven speddy411

158588. ikke Ike

158587. ikke Ike

158586. ikke Ike

158585. richard van berkel bergachaea

game names/ gamertags in red

Out of that lot SIX managed to fill out their names properly, while one guy spammed threee times managing to forget his last name each time, and 4 other people also CBA to enter their name properly. So the REAL sie of that petition is about 75,000 names, which is not so impressive.

edit: scanning through a few more pages reveals it might be more like 2/3 of the names could be discounted so 50,000 names

Yeah, I remembering seeing screenshots of that a long time ago, I always assumed it would be a cutscene. But it looks like instead IW decided to do something "ballsy" just for the sake of being ballsy. "Look how disgusting this is!" I'll admit it makes me feel very dirty and uncomfortable, so if that was their goal, kudos. Still a very irresponsible thing to do.

Or I guess there is the possibility that this is some sort of hack or mod, but I doubt it. I won't be surprised if they try to spin it that way, at least.

It's a computer game. You can skip the sequence if you have issues telling fantasy from reality; the publishers said:

The scene establishes the depth of evil and the cold bloodedness of a rogue Russian villain and his unit. By establishing that evil, it adds to the urgency of the player's mission to stop them.

Players have the option of skipping over the scene. At the beginning of the game, there are two 'checkpoints' where the player is advised that some people may find an upcoming segment disturbing. These checkpoints can't be disabled.

Modern Warfare 2 is a fantasy action game designed for intense, realistic game play that mirrors real life conflicts, much like epic, action movies. It is appropriately rated 18 for violent scenes, which means it is intended for those who are 18 and older.

Frankly you see worse in movies and I've read much more graphic things in books.

If anything games should tackle these sorts of things particularly when you are rampaging through a load of faceless 'baddies' that no one minds massacring.

It's a computer game. You can skip the sequence if you have issues telling fantasy from reality; the publishers said:

Frankly you see worse in movies and I've read much more graphic things in books.

If anything games should tackle these sorts of things particularly when you are rampaging through a load of faceless 'baddies' that no one minds massacring.

Some people DO have issues telling fantasy from reality, and I don't know if giving them an option to skip is a suitable excuse for glamorizing a massacre. This can easily be seen as indoctrination, and to prove that point all you have to do is look at is the people posting that video and calling it "awesome" or "hilarious".

I'm generally opposed to censorship, but to me this crosses a line in the same way the (rightfully) slammed Columbine game did. Comparing this to movies or books is an invalid argument, because a movie never says, "Now YOU slaughter the innocents!"

Some people DO have issues telling fantasy from reality

Yes and they are mentally ill. They can't tell fantasy from reality in any setting! BTW the people calling it "awesome and hilarious" are the people that recognise this as being pure fantasy and are being *albartrotheth* on the Internet.

and I don't know if giving them an option to skip is a suitable excuse for glamorizing a massacre. This can easily be seen as indoctrination, and to prove that point all you have to do is look at is the people posting that video and calling it "awesome" or "hilarious".

I'm generally opposed to censorship, but to me this crosses a line in the same way the (rightfully) slammed Columbine game did. Comparing this to movies or books is an invalid argument, because a movie never says, "Now YOU slaughter the innocents!"

I take it you've never played the Columbine game then? It's not some shoot-em-up and is actually very thoughtful and thought provoking.

How do you feel about all the virtual people you've massacred previously? It was okay because they were virtually out to get you? You didn't give a thought to their virtual motivations? You don't care that their poor little virtual lives were given to give you wood about how righteous war against people you barely know is? In reality this stuff is not black and white, goodies and baddies. Good entertainment that means something recognises this. Look at the morality explored in great film, TV and literary fiction.

I'm not saying this won't make you feel uncomfortable. It does make me feel bad and I doubt I'll have fun as such playing through it. I didn't enjoy parts of the Baader-Meinhof Complex either but I still went to see it and that graphically recreates real events. I think challenging yourself morally like this is a good thing. It will be interesting to see peoples reaction after they've played the game.

I suppose Ive played GTA and massacred a couple of islands full of civilians in my time but its still pretty stark...

Sure, you're thrust into the position of playing the guys you are supposed to be trying to stop. It's pretty much supposed to be stark. Like the scene where you enjoy Mr. Blonde's dancing in Reservoir Dogs and the contrast between that as a beginning and the cops ear being cut off.

Yes me too, the first game was epic and the beginning of that was pretty punchy too.

Such as the killing of unarmed, sleeping Russian sailors which didn't seem to cause an outcry at all.

There does seem to be double-standards. For example, in Mercenaries 2 you could blow up every single building in the game, prompting Yahtzee (of ZeroPunctuation) to say "it's only terrorism if the occupants are white".

I can see why this would be seen as a bad move, but isn't GTA this but all through out the game? (if you choose to, like you can choose to skip this part)

I don't see why it's any different. I've seen far worse in films or read in books.

I have a funny feeling it will get patched out as well now that its been leaked.

Archived