Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

The Thief Lord

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Such as the killing of unarmed, sleeping Russian sailors which didn't seem to cause an outcry at all.

I wasn't very comfortable with that, honestly. But butchering a handful of Russian sailors smuggling a nuclear device is small beans compared to opening up on crowds of people at an airport.

I wasn't very comfortable with that, honestly. But butchering a handful of Russian sailors smuggling a nuclear device is small beans compared to opening up on crowds of people at an airport.

Good point, still, I've gota agree that worse has been done in movies and books. Read Starship Troopers for instance (not at all like the movie).

heh, when a story actually tries to reach out to you and connect to you on more than a basic level I think it's great. Unfortunately the masses don't seem to like it, hence most movies and tv programmes are pretty shallow. A lot of people don't like to be touched in sensitive areas (oo er!)

And also why a game that tries to really impose on you the seriousness/evilness of the people you are against in order to make the experiece a little deeper than just a "shoot the baddies!" game, most people are going to ciritsize it.

heh, when a story actually tries to reach out to you and connect to you on more than a basic level I think it's great. Unfortunately the masses don't seem to like it, hence most movies and tv programmes are pretty shallow. A lot of people don't like to be touched in sensitive areas (oo er!)

And also why a game that tries to really impose on you the seriousness/evilness of the people you are against in order to make the experiece a little deeper than just a "shoot the baddies!" game, most people are going to ciritsize it.

Tis true. Seems like Tetryarc (SP?) tried to start that with World at War. Dark as hell at points (like when you watch and almost get, executed by the Japanese or see the Germans being exicuted or trying to burn people alive.) Actually if I remember right you get to execute Germans yourself as the player, by either shooting or throwing Molotovs on them. I mean watching the trailers for CODMW2 show it's gona be dark, D.C.'s blown to hell so I'm guessing there's some serious **** in the US going on.

(can't edit above post)

After watching it a few times though I have to say it is actually a tad disturbing and I can't imagine playing it will be any better (new link since old ones gone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8fBUw3jdMc ) You are more or less just executing people, gratuitous violence and all that.... still gona get the game though. Might not play that level more than once.

First:

COD:W@W was attempting to accurately portray the Second World War with the Allies on the offensive, crashing through Germany and the first of Japan's home islands. They were also attempting to portray war as evil and destructive on all sides. Happily, they didn't have you shoot or rape any civilians, as occurred during the war, especially in Germany. (And I don't recall killing any German prisoners in the game, but I do recall burning crops with Molotovs. And the guys who captured you get executed by your buddies.)

Second:

Books and movies are not interactive. Video games are. That, in and of itself, sets it apart. Things that happen in books and movies happen that the observer has no control over. The thing that is supposed to set video games apart is their interactivity. If it isn't interactive, it might as well be a movie or a TV show. Why do you think people dislike linear gameplay or why it's so easy to satirize Metal Gear Solid? :P

The biggest problem, I think, is that if there's some great massacre in Europe or the US, launched by a gamer who happens to own this game, the 'sanitizers' will point to it and all games and say, "This is evil. This is what led to this massacre. You're murdering innocent civilians. And you don't have a choice, but to do it." At least in GTA and Saints Row, you have the option to not kill civies.

Books and movies are not interactive. Video games are. That, in and of itself, sets it apart. Things that happen in books and movies happen that the observer has no control over. The thing that is supposed to set video games apart is their interactivity. If it isn't interactive, it might as well be a movie or a TV show. Why do you think people dislike linear gameplay or why it's so easy to satirize Metal Gear Solid? :P

Sure. But why does the interactivity make a difference? I know I'm not massacring real people when I have a mouse or 360 controller in my hand. Just as I know the movie is not real.

The biggest problem, I think, is that if there's some great massacre in Europe or the US, launched by a gamer who happens to own this game, the 'sanitizers' will point to it and all games and say, "This is evil. This is what led to this massacre. You're murdering innocent civilians. And you don't have a choice, but to do it." At least in GTA and Saints Row, you have the option to not kill civies.

This isn't a problem for the game. This is a problem for the morons that blame games for people being violent which is the biggest load of *suitcase* going. If people self-censor to stop the pro-censor morons getting things banned then the morons have already won.

First of all I think this whole thing is blown way out of proportion.

But comments aside, I really dislike the theory of game content getting "leaked". I believe this was most likely a deliberate PR move to generate some controversy and boost sales even further (2 mill. pre-orders already).

On one of those little video bits on the XBL dashboard the other day someone from OXM got to tour the Infinity Ward studios and that place was locked down with a rediculous ammount of security.

(And I don't recall killing any German prisoners in the game, but I do recall burning crops with Molotovs. And the guys who captured you get executed by your buddies.)

You get the choice to kill them yourself, when you play the russian and you're captured, and then freed by Koslov. Also later on you can execute the prisoners yourself instead of letting other people do it, though that's never mentioned explicitly. It leads to a different perception of you in Chernovs journal. Something like 'a brutal killer, without humanity'

Also YET AGAIN the french get the game early wtf is going on?

Well everyone seems to be bitching about how morally wrong it is or isn't.

I just applauded the game developers for doing something right. Lets face it, if you had lots of cardboard targets/clay pigeons/zombies/rabbits/ice-cream vans/people to take out fast, you'd want a M249 or something along those lines.

Well everyone seems to be bitching about how morally wrong it is or isn't.

I just applauded the game developers for doing something right. Lets face it, if you had lots of cardboard targets/clay pigeons/zombies/rabbits/ice-cream vans/people to take out fast, you'd want a M249 or something along those lines.

*Facepalm* sad thing is a, I agree and b, I thought the same thing when I saw the movie the first time...

Unfortunately the video seems to be taken down everywhere, never got to see it.

Wasn't that bad really.

Come out of a lift, shoot people with a LMG of some kind. Kill more people, swap to an armalite with an m203. Blow some people up, shoot some more people who are limping around wounded or dragging other away. Shoot some more. Run a bit and then take on the security guards who all seem to blow up pretty easily and hit off the under carriage of a plane.

Was pretty gory though, lots of blood pools but couldnt see if any limbs were off, pic quality is shoddy to say the least.

*Facepalm* sad thing is a, I agree and b, I thought the same thing when I saw the movie the first time...

T'is true though. Although no one should really ever think about doing it, but its the gun for the job lets face it.

I will play the Airport massacre mission once, and I have a feeling, the whole time, I'll be having chills down my back.

Watching the Infamy commercial again, it really reminded me that IW is focusing on the top potential of what the terrorists can achieve, if they are not stopped early.

Seeing dead US soldiers on the front lawn of the White House isn't going to be fun at all.

Looking forward to getting this but well P!ssed off that the buggers are not incorperating dedicated game server for us PC gamers :(

I agree, they're not making any friends with this decision at all. All the dedicated COD4 servers I play on pretty much have "Boycott MW:2 - No Dedicated Server Support" messages scrolling through the admin console. This may be a rocky start for IW.net

Still can't wait to play it, though I'm not too sure I'm getting it on launch day because of this. Dammit IW! Couldn't you have just kept it simple??? :angry:

And I was all stoked to see ACU make a frontline appearance in a mainstream game, and that's what the Army gets to deal with <_<

Somehow I think they'll be more upset at you calling yourself 'Ranger Captain' than a couple of pixels on a screen.

I was pretty put-off before I saw that video, but now I can't wait for the game to come out! :D Im glad that a game has finally got some good blood in it. I wish the people didnt just flop like AI though. Id like to see some heads exploding and limbs coming off, a little spazzing would be nice too. ;)

Man, that would be great. Im not sure why you guys are analyzing this little sequence under such scrutiny. Im under the assumption that you buy this game to shoot people so why is this so bad. Why is it bad that dead soldiers are laying in front of the white house. Isnt that whats war is about? Or wait is it just your soldiers. You guys are looking at this like its immoral and thats a pretty narrow mindset. My friend joined the army to do something fun and if he was lucky too shoot a few people. He knows that he might die but thats just part of the job. :rolleyes:

You bought COD4 to shoot people and whats different about those people apart from their beliefs and the painted picture that theyre "bad" people. Im going to buy MW2 the day it comes out and Im going to deeply enjoy it. I might even play with a few of you guys, but then Ill be one of the bad guys and youll want to shoot me and feel good when you do. Play it as a game and youll be good. Thinking about it too much will just make your head hurt. :D Its not bad its just human.

Archived