Escape and Evade bag

Billy Bob the Sniper

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An event like hurricane Katrina very well could require a handgun.

Natural disasters overload LE personnel, and as phone service generally gets spotty as well you may need to take care of yourself.

Bug out bag is all well and good if you have some place to go, which is a can of worms by its self, where would go? How would you get there, how do you know its still a good place to go, etc etc. I live on a farm in a quiet rural area, I have loads of rice (cause curry is great) and beans, aswell as some guns and an armoured car (eccentric grandfather) so bring the zombies.

edit 2

self succiency would be much more important then an extensive armoury, which judging from previous survival threads here is what most people tend to go for. Basic stuff like making sure you house can keep heat in and generally making sure stuff is efficeint would be more useful then having some m4 with millions of dollars worth of accessories. If you were worried about self defence I think a shotgun would be more then adequate and some sort of .22 for hunting, maybe a bigger bore if you want to go for deer etc. More importantly then that, making sure your house is well insulated and the money you can save by growing your own *suitcase* is useful for day to day stuff, whereas enough guns to equip a 3rd world nation isn't.

tldr; you can't eat an m4

An event like hurricane Katrina very well could require a handgun.

Natural disasters overload LE personnel, and as phone service generally gets spotty as well you may need to take care of yourself.

True. These LE were certainly overloaded...with stolen goods:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7554865090799900529

Busy Bee's

If i wasnt so sure that guy was an idiot i would say he had some balls going in that "friendly" neighborhood Walmart.

I would start a whole justification on looting in that taking extra diapers is different than that 50 inch plasma screen but im sure they all were going for the diapers ;)

But for hurricanes my need for a stuff bag is that you typically need to get back in once its passed to secure property and save stuff if you can before deciding to stay or just securing it then leaving again. The need for a handgun is definite in such situations given the proliferation of lawlessness in all areas. If its less than cat 3 then staying through the storm for a few days without electricity is the next obstacle so its just nice to have the stuff you need in one place instead of scrounging for batteries, flashlights, extra cell phone batteries etc.

My kit mostly just gets used for camping purposes and stays in a indefinite testing cycle in that regard. I also have another bag in my car that gets used when i end up staying at friends houses and need a change of clothes or if i were to breakdown at night, etc.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to loot in your uniform and continue to do it when there was a TV crew there.

I don't need a hurricane survival kit, my house is made of bricks.

Flood kit, I live on a hill.

Blizzard, I can drive in the snow plus I have snow socks for the car, a box of grit and a shovel. The simpletons who live around here are crippled by an inch of snow, it's pathetic.

I got to work last winter to discover that the management hadn't bothered and was told to go home.

I was a postman FFS.

I can walk to anywhere I need to get to and have access to heavy plant equipment.

I'm golden.

Not a bad idea though.

You carry out a risk assessment and take risk control measures, you believe that your risk of being in a "bug out" situation is strong enough to take precautions. Fair play.

When I was a student I had a set of Rohan cargo pants, a t-shirt, underpants, socks, a wash kit, asprin and condoms in the bottom of my bag.

You never know when you are going to end up somewhere other than your own bed...

On the subject of blizzards...funny this...I can drive a bus happily in the snow and only get held up by nerf-herders in cars. It seems NOONE knows how to drive these days!

As for getting about...if you can stand the weather, forget a car. Bikes are the way to go. My Guzzi Cali can carry 148 litres of luggage before I start wearing backpacks. So when you're jammed on the motorways, Ill be off and about.

Enjoy the fallout/flood/plague!

I can drive in the snow plus I have snow socks for the car, a box of grit and a shovel. The simpletons who live around here are crippled by an inch of snow, it's pathetic.

To be fair - speaking as somebody who's driven through jungles, deserts, swamps, 3ft deep mud and 8ft deep snow-drifts - it snowed very lightly in Aberdeen a couple of years ago and I found I simply couldn't get my MR2 up a motorway slip-road!

Fortunately, I deliberately head into work at around 6:30am so the roads were almost deserted.

First time I wasn't even really thinking and just drove up the slip-road as usual and ground to a halt half way up.

I reversed down again, went around the ring-road to build up momentum again and then tried trundling up in 3rd gear. No dice. Third time I tried gunning it up there in first but it just looked more spectacular with the same result.

By this time the traffic was starting to get a bit heavier and I was forced to give up and trundle along a bunch of (flat) country lanes to get into work.

Until you've actually been in a car that's physically incapable of dealing with dodgy weather you really won't understand just how helpless a driver can be. :huh:

Incidentally, the missus used to drive my Porsche so I bought her the MR2 Turbo as a birthday present which she loved.... until winter arrived. At that point she started using my BMW and left me to drive the MR2 700 miles a week in bad weather. :rolleyes:

If I lived in the US then I'd already have one of these set up and ready to go, for the following reasons - far more severe weather and increased likelyhood of natural disasters, widespread gun ownership, vast countryside etc etc - it would be basic but able to sustain me for 2-3 days, after watching the chaos after hurricane Katrina it would also contain ammunition.

Living in the UK though we have a much smaller country, far less natural hazards, limited gun ownership (except our inner city youth). That said having some sort of go-bag may be useful and my justification for having them are incidents/events/possiblities such as the following:

- the fuel crisis, remember not being able to fill your car up for a few days and the tailbacks and hording that resulted,

- the up coming flu pandemic, it may only have mild effects on those infected but what happens if my local hospital is not able to cope and I have to travel further a field at short notice due to either flu complications within friends/family or other medical needs,

- remember the snow that some areas had last winter, now I know that people use half an inch as an excuse not to go to work, but also remember that some people had to spend a night snowed into their cars on parts of our motor way,

- electrical blackout, knowing that I'l have a torch that works and food that may not need cooking etc,

- terrorist attack that directly effects my local amenities or services, dispite the recent downgrade in status we are still on 'substantial',

- short notice roadtrip/holiday/skirmish/weekender/family or friend emergency/hiking trip,

- large scale public order situation, terrorist attack that does not directly effect me but means I get called on duty at short notice with the possibly of being kept on long duties,

- any other weather/natural disaster such as flooding, bad storms, high winds etc,

- zombies...... obviously.

Why is it that people on guns/military/airsoft forums are the only one "aware" of possible upcoming disasters? Yeah, when the flu really hits us we wont be laughing anymore, because you were prepared.

Anyway, this is fun, so Ill buy into it. Condoms are actually very necessary: lets say W.W.III starts and you have to live for 2 years on your own, you dont wanna get your girl pregnant, she wont be able to run at a certain stage of the pregnancy, youll have one more mouth to feed, and given that most people dont know how to help give birth, death during birth or later infection is a high risk.

thats not what the condoms are for, there for keeping stuff dry/clean and water storage. I rather have water and stuff i need then penetrative sex, after all theres more than one way to choke a chicken :blush:

despite what people think the world is getting more unstable and Britian is not exempt. We could weather any global incident bettter than most, but while im surviving reasonably comfortably and the naysayers are freezing starving and lost. Ill be happy that the little money / effort it takes to set one of these up pays off.

it is better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it!

Don't forget, you can store a lot of water in a condom but it will break eventually, if you want to carry the stuff for a while, you will need to put the water filled condom in a sock or something.

I have driven some cars that just won't go in the snow (you know your cars stealth, a 300hp front wheel drive Nova on R888s) but chains/socks and a box of grit for the bad bits has never let me down.

Admittedly I wouldn't want to get out and start shovelling grit on a m'way slip road.

A couple of years ago I took my old Range Rover up to the top of Bluebell hill (steep road that connects the M2 and M20 at Maidstone) and charged people £10 a time to pull them out.

This winter is going to be interesting, by then I will have lowered my car a couple of inches on top of the coilovers, stiffened anti-roll bars and such, I'm not sure if the lower ground clearance will cause any issues, I suppose I can just crank the springs back up so it looks like I'm on stilts...

The Quaife ATB diff should help things a bit and I have a couple of spare alloys I can stick winter tyres on, I'm not sure how T1-Rs will perform in apocalyptic weather.

Any ideas?

I rather have water and stuff i need then penetrative sex, after all theres more than one way to choke a chicken :blush:

Ghay :P

In all seriousness, the SAS survival guide should be a packed in every "bug-out" bag.

Quite possibly one of the better publications i've read.

Archived