Post your tried, and successful tactics!

bbondaloose

I'm currently trying to come up with tactics that my team could drill and practice to advance our chances of winning.

One of the personal tactics I've seen work most of the time is to simply flank the opposite teamwhen you come in contact with them, while your teammates put down suppressive fire on the enemy.

Post your own tried and true tactics!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprise with overwhelming firepower. If your guys are good enough, you can eliminate a fair portion of the enemy you are confronted with in the opening moments of the firefight. Then, you disappear. I've tried it twice at my local site, albeit with only two or three people with me, but it works a charm. Kinda like guerrilla tactics.

Use a small quick and usually crazy (you have to be) guy as a decoy. We normally send him out to left blaring off rounds all over the place if we spot them (the enemy) first.

Then we can attack from the right with all the rest of us whilst they are temporarily occupied with what they usually assume is a total newb.

Use a small quick and usually crazy (you have to be) guy as a decoy. We normally send him out to left blaring off rounds all over the place if we spot them (the enemy) first.

Then we can attack from the right with all the rest of us whilst they are temporarily occupied with what they usually assume is a total newb.

That guy I'm guessing have to not mind getting shot at least 20 times :P

I actually drew some battle tactic drills we can do, with some targets, and cover.

One I copied off of the Magpul Dynamics Live Fire video, with 3 different covers and 3 targets set up in a line.

To misquote a chinese man from a few thousand years ago...

If you are attacking, attack!

If you are defending, attack!

If you get ambushed, attack!

If you want to survive, attack!

At all other times, attack!

And to misquote the imperial guard infantrymans uplifting primer

If in doubt, move forward

Through wave after wave of my own men at till you clog with rifle barrels ^_^

zapp_brannigan_thumbnail.jpg

im usually a lone ranger, team up with another group, they attack and distract them while i sneak in the side with sniper and then back up.

works a treat.

last game i took out the entire 8 man squad and completed the objective on my own. (no newbies in that team, newbies were in my team)

In woodland games, the best way to win is to camp in the spot you know they'll go. But that's the limit of my experience, as I play with teenagers that are recent converts to airsoft and aren't exactly master tacticians. I always attempt to flank them, then think I'm being hunted and reflank, only to find they've wandered aimlessly down the road as a group and are standing behind trees. <_<

A guy shouted "loading", so I pop out of cover, and I get zapped, cunning indeed. Should of seen it coming cause its been done a billion times before.

I di dthat trick before, was trying to get a small group of newer players out of a bunker, and I shouted "reloading", my group looked at me funny but most of the other grouped popped up, which lead to us taking finally taking the bunker, it was a good laugh.

Leap frog I found works well.

In woodland games, here is one way I find good:

- Have a good strategic field commander, and many capable tactical commanders.

- At the beginning of the game send out groups of pairs as preorganised spotter teams/hit-and-run groups whose primary mission is to observe enemy movement and numbers from predesignated observation positions, but then becomes FUD elements to create confusion and delay enemy movements. These are guys good with nav and radio and can direct and call on main force and QRF elements as required to the right coordinates.

- The divide your main forces depending on numbers into pairs and bricks, which is then divided into a minimum of 2 team; 1) Small Scout/security element, 2) main [assault, dominance] force 3optional)QRF - Xfactor

How it works -

Spotter groups create a dominance on intelligence, getting an overview of the battle for the commander. To do this they radios in the position and direction of enemy movement. Once thats determined, determine enemy motivation and their strategy, and using your troops, you can set ambushes at the right places, or FUD activities to slow and delay enemy movement and decisions. If the enemy is a bigger threat than expected, then strategically must force the enemy to divide in both battle intent and strength, in order to destroy the enemy.

Small scout/security Team switches between scout and rear security roles because if the spotter teams are doing their job then scout teams are more for clearing and probing enemy defenses than the main force, which is where the firepower of the team is for assault and seize and hold.

This means that you can compensate for lack of training and inexperienced tactical command with intelligence and strategy. Immediate action drills are not as important as knowing who to fight at the right time in the right place in the right direction.

Always have the firesupport group at the same level or higher than the enemy, but be wary of assaulting from a high point.

Use the ground for flanking, but also use prexisting obstacles, channels, terrain features to gain the best upper hand in a firefight, but also to gain a better strategic location for the next move, or deny the enemy their move.

Predicting enemy intentions and denying enemy options is highly important. But all this can only work if the spotter teams do their work to provide good intelligence so the field commander can make the right decisions.

If the other enemy is also as clued up to this sort of organisation then a different level of strategy is required to manage the risks.

If the woods become more dense, say jungle like, then the strategy also changes because intel is then more gained from enemy contacts rather than spotter teams due to limited visibility. The use of terrain and preplanning of navigational routes becomes more important than preseen intelligence. Contact - Break contact - Counter attack/withdraw/ambush/block, is the typical decision processes in denser bush, along with keeping good radio comms to field command informing enemy movements, numbers and direction, so field command can plan the next move.

The game is a lot more than just drills and thrills :)

keep shooting. keep bloody shooting. many an excange at my site has been lost because people stop shooting. i dont know why they do it. i carry 9-12 highcaps, so i can keep up a good rate of fire, and ive always done so pretty much from the beginning, so i dont really understand why i see some people pointing their weapons, but not firing

this may seem pretty basic, shooting. but maybe people are conserving ammo, or waiting for that perfect shot. simply put, shooting is the most fundemental part of a skirmish- its why we buy the guns and ammo and batteries.

dont get me wrong, im not saying everyone needs to carry 12 highcaps and keep blatting off 50 round bursts all the time. semi auto shots every couple of seconds is sufficient enough. but if you dont keep fire going down in the direction of the enemy, then you stand no chance of taking them out. further more you allow them to manouver.

it really annoys me when someone needs covering fire, and all they get is a double tap on semi- which just wont do it.

also, if you dont have sufficient ammo to put down a base of fire, you should be looking to be in the group that fights through the enemy, getting closer.

my main idea for winning a fire fight is cross fire. firing on an enemy from many different positions that creates a web of fire so that anywhere they try and go is going to get them hit. to do this you need to keep firing so that when the enemy does try and move, there are already rounds in the air destined to hit them.

my secondary idea of winning a fire fight is that if the cross fire idea isnt working, closing with the enemy and getting stuck in. bit more risky and requires some nerve, but if you can get close to the enemy, they are under serious pressure, especially if they are under supressing fire.

edit: forgot to add a bit about momentum. if you see a couple of your guys moving forwards, try and do so yourself. that way you get a good line putting down fire on the enemy, which is pretty intimidating. if you get lots of people moving forwards (may seem like a bit of WW1 tactics) you get a lot of momentum and you start to catch the enemy off guard. pick your way through and stick to it so you dont get blue on blue, and keep the ball rolling. fire into anything that could be hiding an enemy, dont get tunnel vision and only look at whats directly in front of you, keep an eye out, and keep going. we had thisthis saturday and it worked really well. about 8 of us all pushing forwards sweeping through. no matter how hard the enemy tried (they took a couple of us out) we kept on moving and pushing them back. if it had been a real battle, it would have been bayonets- exciting stuff.

bottom line for me----- KEEP THOSE ROUNDS GOING DOWN. everything else falls into place.

in cqb if you have a torch pointed at you there is a very good chance it has a gun attatched to it.. as you dont know if the guy is standing to the left, right, above or below the light ive found pointing my gun at the light and drawing circles round it with bb's results in a good percentage of kills.

If you're building a team I recommend looking into what the real operators do and adapting it to what's practical for airsoft. Suppressive fire and flanking is a good basic tactic to start with. Learning basic formations is good too. They're not just to make you look legit (;)), but they're designed to maximize your teams effectiveness and survivability through a multitude of scenarios. There's some pretty decent info in here:

http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/tactical...n-the-field.asp

Practice different scenarios as often as possible and if possible practice with as many different players / teams as possible. Practicing different scenarios like creating an ambush and how to deal with your team being ambushed is one of the more common set of situations you'll come across. You'll also find that if you play amongst yourselves too often that your own players may become predictable and that could lead to your skills stagnating and players become complacent. Playing frequently against new opponents or teams may show you tactics you've never seen before or tactics you've seen but applied better than you've ever used them. There's a lot that you can learn from other players and teams.

Learn how to work in buddy teams, fire teams and on the squad level.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

Good luck!

Archived