Post your tried, and successful tactics!

bbondaloose

Be quick and aggressive: very few players are capable of hitting a running target, so stay mobile and close the distance. Nothing kills an attack faster than getting bogged down behind cover taking pot shots. Move forward, and if that isn't possible, move laterally so you can flank. Remember to 'bound': one guy cover fires the other moves then vice versa.

Go prone: As with moving quickly, it is hard to hit a prone target. If you are prone, your aim will be better and you will be harder to hit. This also applies to CQB - everyone will be expecting standing or kneeling opponents: I've lost count of the amount of times someone has shot over me while I have shot their legs just because I'm laying down.

Only shoot what you can hit: get to know the distance at which you can reliably hit a target. Only open fire if you know you can get the hit, otherwise you are just wasting ammo and telling the other team exactly where you are. I used to be terrible for this and my game improved drastically once I only shot at what I could hit.

Know the ranges: You can also use your knowledge of your ranges to improve your defence. Most AEGs have the same accurate range, if you think you can't hit someone there's a good chance they can't hit you either, so just stay outside that range if they have you spotted. (Obvious exception for sniper rifles)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a standard skirmish, I break into a sprint the second the whistle goes and I try to set up with my sniper rifle in a position they think I couldn't possibly be in yet. So when they get there, their guard isn't fully up yet and I can usually take out a few before they realise the direction the fire is coming from.

Once they know which vague direction its coming from, they've still gotta find me and close range. ;)

One i have merely dubbed the 'Snake'.

It requires a pistol and some guts.

Basically you need to try this out either at the start of a woodland game or when your opponents are too focused on other things such as under fire by friendlies. It requires there distractions.

Basically using the prone position and slow crawling you position yourself in such a way that you can pop shots at your opponent from the scenery so they are somewhat confused as to were you are. If you are spotted you merely return a few shots to keep there heads down and then run, finding another location to hide while they look for you, it helps to have a place to go to in mind first. After a few minutes the opponent will either lose interest or will become engaged with another team member on your side.

Works best for those who play pistols only and prefer stealth over assault.

'FireKnife'

• 2 weeks later...

My squad where tasked with defending a building, we took up a positions up stairs. whilst we were scouting round we found a **suitcase** load of use nades (brain wave)

Theres only one staircase going up so our plan was to use these dummy nades to keep them guessing through like 5 over and shout granade, then wait till they were about to call our bluff and then through a live on over XD very funny! kept that up for just over a hour. when I was killed I walked down the stairs and the ground floor was full of the blue team :P

Now thats a SZS approved Tactic!!

When lone wolfing, remember to stop often and listen, it will save you from death more often than not. When fighting superior numbers as a lone wolf remember to put lots of cover between you and the enemy, relocate often (after every 5-10 shots) keep 360 degree situational awareness as they will attempt to flank you if they realise you are alone.

Also, be aggressive, the last thing they will expect is for a lone attacker to keep coming after receiving incoming fire.

In urban, the 2 most important bits of advice i can give are:

1. Never approach a door square on.

2. Never use your flashlight for more than 2 seconds at any one time, and immediately move after you switch it off. I have shot so many players by simply following the torch beams while i lurk in the dark.

Darkchild

Suprising your enemy with overwhelming fire, and keeping shooting are the best tactics...

My team holds an unofficial record for taking the most fortified part of the site in the shortest time ever... We hit this hilltop bunker from the rear and left flank, after me and one other had been hitting it occasionally with bursts of fire... The rest of our team that day (6 or 7 guys), dashed out of a treeline about 200m off to the left of the position (the last cover before a 200m dead ground) and sprinted across the open ground, firing all the way.

As the harrassing force, i was closest to the bunker and saw what we were facing... Numerically superior and heavily dug in... Had the survivors of the initial shock stayed in position the attack would have been stopped in its tracks, but due to the weight of fire and the sheer speed of our attack, most of them bolted... The actual attack took no more than 5 minutes, whereas people who attacked up the front of the hill usually took at least 30 mins if not more...

Just keeping shooting is the most effective tactic ever... Especially if you get ambushed... No one expects you to stay where you are and start blasting back.

If im with my whole squad we generally work in a line of 4 people at the front with a nother 2-3 behind us.

The front 4 engage a threat and the the remaing 2-3 that have not been seen by the opfor will flank round one of the sides (dependant on avaliable cover and terrain) to take them by surprise. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Edit: removed example

Some golden airsoft rules that not enough people know/practice:

1- Never talk during a game. Use hand signals and radios instead. If you simply must, whisper it next to the player in question. Don't be the dude sitting behind the firing line talking with another guy "Sup guys, I think the enemies is OVER THERE". Shouting orders is also a great way to ruin any chance of surprise you may have. Don't do it unless you have to or know what you are doing (which is far less than you may think).

2- If you aren't moving then get down on one knee. 40% less body results in 40% less hits and a 40% boost in not being seen. If you are moving then try to keep low and accomplish the exact same thing, but at a lesser percentage.

3- Don't fire unless you have a 75% (good) chance to hit your target, or higher. Perpetually shooting at your target reveals your position to everyone nearby and erodes the effect of suppressive fire. Furthermore, experienced players can tell from how your bbs are falling, the sound of your gun, and the sound of your bbs if you actually saw them or not, where you are sitting etc. and in effect gives them information at your experience. If you rarely fire then you are guaranteed to get heads to go down when you actually do. By holding your fire you also leave your enemies with less information and cause confusion (because everyone always fires back, right?)- Is he still there? Is he alive? Did he run away? Was I confused? Is that snapping twig to my right him trying to get around me?

4- Taking too much fire? Then fall back. You are worse to your team dead then if you 'man it out'. This works even better when you don't shoot at everything that moves (which means that they may not know that you moved- which buys you time and confuses your opponent even more)

5- Don't crowd. Stay at least 3-4m away from your fellow player. Two people within arm's reach of each other are just asking to both get killed by a single enemy. There are few situations that require you to be this close to another person from your team- whispering, and not talking out loud, is one of them.

The tactics your proposing can only be implemented in a large game area possible a airsoft event like berget or others.

But its interresting wish i could do this in belguim

In woodland games, here is one way I find good:

- Have a good strategic field commander, and many capable tactical commanders.

- At the beginning of the game send out groups of pairs as preorganised spotter teams/hit-and-run groups whose primary mission is to observe enemy movement and numbers from predesignated observation positions, but then becomes FUD elements to create confusion and delay enemy movements. These are guys good with nav and radio and can direct and call on main force and QRF elements as required to the right coordinates.

- The divide your main forces depending on numbers into pairs and bricks, which is then divided into a minimum of 2 team; 1) Small Scout/security element, 2) main [assault, dominance] force 3optional)QRF - Xfactor

How it works -

Spotter groups create a dominance on intelligence, getting an overview of the battle for the commander. To do this they radios in the position and direction of enemy movement. Once thats determined, determine enemy motivation and their strategy, and using your troops, you can set ambushes at the right places, or FUD activities to slow and delay enemy movement and decisions. If the enemy is a bigger threat than expected, then strategically must force the enemy to divide in both battle intent and strength, in order to destroy the enemy.

Small scout/security Team switches between scout and rear security roles because if the spotter teams are doing their job then scout teams are more for clearing and probing enemy defenses than the main force, which is where the firepower of the team is for assault and seize and hold.

This means that you can compensate for lack of training and inexperienced tactical command with intelligence and strategy. Immediate action drills are not as important as knowing who to fight at the right time in the right place in the right direction.

Always have the firesupport group at the same level or higher than the enemy, but be wary of assaulting from a high point.

Use the ground for flanking, but also use prexisting obstacles, channels, terrain features to gain the best upper hand in a firefight, but also to gain a better strategic location for the next move, or deny the enemy their move.

Predicting enemy intentions and denying enemy options is highly important. But all this can only work if the spotter teams do their work to provide good intelligence so the field commander can make the right decisions.

If the other enemy is also as clued up to this sort of organisation then a different level of strategy is required to manage the risks.

If the woods become more dense, say jungle like, then the strategy also changes because intel is then more gained from enemy contacts rather than spotter teams due to limited visibility. The use of terrain and preplanning of navigational routes becomes more important than preseen intelligence. Contact - Break contact - Counter attack/withdraw/ambush/block, is the typical decision processes in denser bush, along with keeping good radio comms to field command informing enemy movements, numbers and direction, so field command can plan the next move.

The game is a lot more than just drills and thrills :)

The tactics your proposing can only be implemented in a large game area possible a airsoft event like berget or others.

But its interresting wish i could do this in belguim

I must say that they are only possible at large scale events but they are sound as far as modern combat doctrine when facing troops of superior number are concerned. When it comes to common human condition and the desire to meet the enemey combat the thing that will win out in all situations is confidence. Being sure that your training, fitness, command intellect and desire to suceed are more than those of your opponents. This is the reason the British win battle after battle, we know our equipent is inferior but we know our training second to none. When it comes down to open conventional warfare the desire to win coupled with training are all that matter when it comes to winning fire fights and such. Accurate fire and superior confidence will always win in a contest of morale.

Cyber Soldier: I Agree. Confidence in yourself and confidence in your team mates and confidence in command encourages communication so winning the battle will be successful. Confidence comes from training and gaming as a team, and confidence has to come from all members of the team from the commander to the team members.

There are limitations to the strategy I suggested, as any strategy will have limitations. It relies on:

- above-average individual skill (particularly stealth and scouting skills and reacting to enemy fire)

- strong team cohesion that already exist in the team(s) even though tactical command is weak

- the willingness to follow command

- the troops whether they take initiative to fill in the gap in the battle plan (whether morale is high)

The plan works well if majority of the enemy forces that are on the move. You could potentially delay a large enemy force with very small numbers. The plan doesn't work well when a large percentage of the enemy are on defensive (over an objective), as you won't have enough assets to attack a defensive position without being bitten in the butt by the smaller enemy forces that acts as QRF on your flanks. Attacking only the QRF is pointless except only to isolate and decrease enemy numbers by tactical grasp/attrition.

Basically with large games, attacking a densely packed defensive position without numbers or fire support can be difficult, unless your troops are attentive, motivated and you select a tactically advantageous break-in point (even then the casualty rate will be high). All those conditions aren't often there, and once momentum has fallen its actually best to withdraw rather than continue a pointless battle.

Fast walking toward an enemy position while using single shot to keep there heads down. Always works for me. Then before they know it your on top of them and killing them.

That works well.

I don't play large games so I'll give small game (3-6 ppl a side kind of thing) tactics.

The above works well in situations where they have a kind of beat on you, but you'd have a beat on them if you could just get a bit to the side or whatever, just keep their heads down while you fast walk.

The other that I do alot is to stealth retreat andflank, try to back off whitout them seeing you and run like the blazes to get around them once you are out of sight. Then hit them from the side when they have probably figured you are gone and have started advancing towards your old position.

Working as a small squad - stay spread out, but within sight of each other and keep your eyes peeled. Once that whisle blows - remember speed is your freind. get everyone as far up as possible.

Well I play woodland most of the time and as Captain I organize a lot of tactics at a farm where my aunt lives and there is a 10 barn complex where we do CQB training such as clearing the sector within a certain amount of time and other quick going training tactics. There is also a whole square mile of woods so my men are able to train there for longer range encounters. We practice a lot at a target range we made there so we are all excellent at both long and short distances. A tactic that works best in a fireteam (3-4 men) is that 2-3 of the men yell to each other while "spraying and praying" while the other man or men sneak around and flank or attack on the side. This has always worked for taking out both large and small groups. Another tactic that works well is the catapult effect, where one small group covers another as the other group moves forward, then vice versa; this forces the enemy back and while they move back they become easy targets. One more is when your whole team bunches up, then every man splits in different ways and finds their own target and hints them down.

Well I play woodland most of the time and as Captain I organize a lot of tactics at a farm where my aunt lives and there is a 10 barn complex where we do CQB training such as clearing the sector within a certain amount of time and other quick going training tactics. There is also a whole square mile of woods so my men are able to train there for longer range encounters. We practice a lot at a target range we made there so we are all excellent at both long and short distances. A tactic that works best in a fireteam (3-4 men) is that 2-3 of the men yell to each other while "spraying and praying" while the other man or men sneak around and flank or attack on the side. This has always worked for taking out both large and small groups. Another tactic that works well is the catapult effect, where one small group covers another as the other group moves forward, then vice versa; this forces the enemy back and while they move back they become easy targets. One more is when your whole team bunches up, then every man splits in different ways and finds their own target and hints them down.

When you are taking fire the last thing you need to do is just hunker down in a spider hole and sit there. Reaction drills are important and if you are being ambushed you need to fight out of it in order to survive

New plays also tend to be slower than more experienced guys, speed is the key to maneuverability and that is the key to winning, teaching them how to hustle is one of the first things we go through

Learn handsignals, learn how to call out contact so the rest of the squad/fireteam knows you arent assaulting a tree

Use the buddy system, 1 guy is firing, one guy is moving up; take that and it can be upscaled all the way company level and it works magic every time

What else.......new guys mess up spacing on patrols first time out, move in a pile die in a pile, keep your spacing

Learn the 3 basic formations and their strengths,weaknesses (File,Diamond/Wedge,Line)

Having a guy run point properly on a patrol helps, aka dont just stand in the front, move out from the patrol, check the area, then come back to the patrol and move across, or around the area

If you are not standing you are on a knee, if you end up being on the knee for a bit then go prone. Cant tell you how much more concealment you get from kneeling or prone whenever possible, and people wont believe it until you have a person walk a few meters from you and have no idea they are about to be the subject of 6mm rape

When lone wolfing, remember to stop often and listen, it will save you from death more often than not. When fighting superior numbers as a lone wolf remember to put lots of cover between you and the enemy, relocate often (after every 5-10 shots) keep 360 degree situational awareness as they will attempt to flank you if they realise you are alone.

Also, be aggressive, the last thing they will expect is for a lone attacker to keep coming after receiving incoming fire.

THIS!

I normally act as part of a team, and I always employ move and fire... it just works, but when lone wolfing, Darkchild has got the key points. Stay quiet until it is time to ruin the oppos day. Then just go all out crazy :D A couple of guys had me pinned down in a shell scrape, and I managed to crawl to get a piece of cover in between us... when I got up, they got up to follow me, expecting me to flee, but I came towards them, and took them both out before they'd even shouldered arms :)

I have a couple:-

1) Ignore any "tactics" that take more than a sentence to explain.

The people in your team won't get it right and, even if they do the opfor will do summat unexpected and render the plan useless.

2) Always assess the situation before charging in all-guns-blazing.

Never ceases to amaze me that people will see a couple of opfor stood out in the open, fire on them and then suddenly find they're being engaged by about 20 other guys who were all nearby.

You then have to charge in as well and everybody ends up involved in a huge furball that usually ends up screwing up the game.

3) Never bite off more than you can chew.

Related to the above really.

If you see two people, take your shots at them and then break contact.

If you start getting shot at from elsewhere, leg it.

Remember you WERE doing something before you saw those two people. Go back to doing what you were doing and don't get sucked into stuff you can't handle.

Communicate communicate communicate.

If you have radios - use them

if not, shout.

Fast comms will get more guns on target and will get you more success than any other fancy lone wolf flanking defilades or whatever.

You can have the best plan in the world, if you don't tell anyone it's as much use as Kitcheners tactical genius of walk towards the enemy and hope they run out of bullets before you run out of men.

Archived