How did you decide which gear to choose?

jingernut

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spot on, we in the UK have a defence that is realisum backed up by the realism factor i.e. role play in effect. So please american users remeber that this is a .co.uk website and as such our (UK airsofters) airsoft comments have to reflect the UK ruling and as such the VCRA (Sayign we don't need to have certain kit that is the same as real units liek have realistic RIF's would/could/perhaps damage our defence).

I can remember many arguements about what we do and to get the government on our side we had to say it was about "the suspension of disbelief" and that brightly coloured AEG's/etc would ruin it. It has to look like real deal, as that was the point for uk airsofters. Other wise it might have ended up as us having to run round with sowing machines shooting out bb's and we'd be in overalls!

Well everyone is entitled to thier opinion, but me, sometimes all it takes is one comment to change everything (And also I liek to explain myself as so not to confuse which side of the fence I am on. I don't know, explain your self and you're over reacting, don't an people say your being vague, go figure). I remember a similar incident involing someone saying on an internet forum in Japan a certain Tanaka system could be modified, that helped in getting it re-called (As it brought attention to it).

Yes but all the guy said was he didn't see the need to go for a specific impression and that he saw it as possibly disrespectful! He then listed the camo and gear he does use.

Going from there to saying it undermines our defense to the VCRA is frankly bizarre. Cautioning people from even mentioning that they don't feel the need to dress in authentic loadouts is even more so!

I love playing dress up. ;)

I actually think it's more fun when you are playing a theme, or following an unified theme in camo and gear. I personally have a better time looking like a bad *albatross* force of people, than just some randomers.

But thats just MHO

I don't know about you guys, but when I choose gear, it needs to be slimming. You think the latest trend of crye shirts, UBACS etc is cause the under armour style chest is sweat wicking and keeps you cool? Its cause its tight and when you take of your plate carrier you can see nips, which is dead sexy.

I also spend 40 mins applying cam cream in the bathroom before leaving for a skirmish.

I don't know about you guys, but when I choose gear, it needs to be slimming. You think the latest trend of crye shirts, UBACS etc is cause the under armour style chest is sweat wicking and keeps you cool? Its cause its tight and when you take of your plate carrier you can see nips, which is dead sexy.

I also spend 40 mins applying cam cream in the bathroom before leaving for a skirmish.

My pals and I help apply our cam cream on each other. This guy knows whatsup.

The gear I use will be the same gear I use when training at the range. Not a military kit but an active civilian shooter. Hey, less things to buy if my kit will serve my real and airsoft needs.

Will I build a similar kit to my future military gear (when I finally get to that step)? Maybe. I don't know if I would like to wear the same kit I use for work when I'm out having fun.

Clothing:

I just went to the surplus store in an adjacent town and checked out their offers. Was surprised to see they had Tru-Spec multicam there so I went with it. Might pick up some 3c desert later.

Gear:

Looked around a LOT on forums etc until I saw someone posting Warrior stuff he bought from UKtactical. Went there and, as said by Basho, never looked back.

If you're not in a team: go with whatever you like and keep in mind that it is 1) a game and 2) you really don't want to be packed like a mule. If you want to go for a real deal lookalike there is not much choice :P.

Sorry Chimpy I think you missed what I was aiming for, I was explaing my post to what Azubi put (About the defence and why replicating a real unit's load out or as close to one was important for people living under the VCRA and all of its implications, getting the defence during the VCRB), it wasn't meant at cautioning or trying to get up people nose's (It was meant to inform). I reinforced what I said by saying about how sometimes comments made on a forum can/might effect in the real world (Again, giving examples to why I posted in the first place, not pointing the finger of blame or trying to say "nnoooeeesss it will end airsoft in the UK).

Again, try not to take this as a rant (My appologies if you do or if anyone was offened), after several of my post being questioned (In the past) I decided always to put as much information as possible into the reasons behind my post. But alas, it seems to offend sometimes, which is not my intention, its merely expression of my view. After all this is the internet and people can mis-interpret the emotion or thought process behind the response.

So, just to re-cap:-

Wasn't trying to say stfu American posters (Not at all, nor would I ever repress points of view).

I was trying to back up Azubi's comment about our defence (And why the real unit load outs helped us get the defence, suspension of disbelief and all that).

And how that related to the comment about it could be seen dis-respectful to real units (Even though most british servicemne/women I have spoken to - mates mostly - arn't that bothered. But if I pretend to be one instead of replicating a load out, then that is dis-respectful IMHO).

So, if people where offended, it wasn't meant to, it was meant to explain (See above).

Also to keep it on topic, I'm in the process of getting an Osprey Mk1 body armour (Without inserts), for my new load out, which is inspired by Pathfinders. So DDPM's t-shirt and am just going to use my magnum boots (Going to use either a Minimi or HK416 as my AEG). I may get to hot but I do like that look, and am going for a baseball cap instead of a helmet.

It wasn't offensive I just think your reasoning is flawed and people saying that they don't see the need to replicate real load outs has bugger all bearing on our defense under the VCRA. Just look around at any public day and count the number of people doing impressions versus the guys in a mish mash of camo and gear.

Where you are right is that the key is suspension of disbelief and a bright coloured gun really *fruitcage*s that up but that doesn't mean everyone needs to be running around looking like extras from Black Hawk Down. Again playing on any public day shows that.

That's not to say that it isn't fun to do impressions or that it doesn't improve certain aspects of Airsoft.

You are absolutely right, playing on a public day shows that people don't, but that has nothing to do with the defence put forward at the time (Which is what I was on about). You think its flawed, thats fair enough, but I wasn't on about what people play in right now, it was about the defence put forward (And also that it was to post something that Azubi could read in this thread).

Though I bet most people do have a "load out" that is very close to a real world operator or even PMC.

I have, and do, at times just wear a pair of plain combats, t-shirt, magnum boots (For the ankle support) and webbing/chest rig. Optional is a cap or beanie hat (Of course safety glasses or googles, but that goes without saying).

Edit:- Of course my "The Shield" laodout gear is very simple, Jeans, black t-shirt and a farmington badge. but that is exclusively for CQB.

I did it the hard way. Not really knowing many other players with kit that i could try, i ended up buyign off the internet, am on my 5th vest after around 3 years and have know finally settled on a simple chest rig. Its really light and compact which suits my style of play. Its been very expensive finally finding the perfect loadout for me, i would reckomend buying from somewere that you can try gear on

I have, and do, at times just wear a pair of plain combats, t-shirt, magnum boots (For the ankle support) and webbing/chest rig. Optional is a cap or beanie hat (Of course safety glasses or googles, but that goes without saying).

Like I said in order to have suspension of disbelief it doesn't mean everyone needs to be running around looking like extras from Black Hawk Down. So we can clearly see that someone saying they don't see the need to do an impression (where the specific meaning is an authentic loadout) isn't going to bring about the demise of the VCRA defense anytime soon. Which is why the posts following the original chap were a complete overreaction! Besides which I said pretty much the same thing on page 2 without causing the apocalypse.

Now with that out of the way shall we let the thread continue? :D

Only if you listen to milphotos.

Movie crazes will come and go, BHD featured for a long time (although the widely copied Delta Force equipment was inaccurate). Band of Brothers made a large number of people think 101st airbourne won WW2 on thier own, and instantly copied that uniform. Tears of the Sun had its day too.

Geardo phases come and go too. Going back a few years, it was all about USMC Force Recon. Then, around a year ago it was about SEALs and NSW units. More recently its been SAS, SBS, SFSG.

Its the nature of being a collector I think. Once you've finished something it loses its appeal, and the only solution is to collect something else to scratch that itch. Its true for me, atleast.

When I first started I used flecktarn because my local surplus shop had the shirt, jacket, trousers and helmet with helmet cover. I then went onto Multicam after joining my team (there was a long debate about what would be our team camo as no one could agree).

I only recently bought my chest rig (up until then I used my pockets) where I bought a Warrior 901 Omega + 2x double pistol mag pouches.

my holster is a random brand OD dropleg holster that I won in an airsoft raffle at the event I was at (I wanted 1st prize being an m203, but meh, I needed a holster)

as for what gun I wanted, I went for a warrior L96 (yes I started with a sniper rifle) because I couldn't afford anything that wasn't a CYMA AK47 at the time and the L96 looked nicer for me

after a while I got a dboys m4 as I wanted to go for a PMC loadout but after a while I fitted it with a tightbore barrel, an m100 spring and a systema hop up unit + rubber, so now it fires insanely well (although the upgrades cost almost the same amount as the gun) as I couldn't put up with the inaccuracy and the high FPS (which meant semi only, although I still shoot semi only because I prefer it) of the stock gun

my sidearm was an easy choice. after buying a KSC USP .45 (pre system 7) and having the mags leak gas all the time, I went for a more reliable and lightweight TM 1911 which has never ever ever ever ever let me down and I <3 the look of the 1911 more than the USP now

EDIT: removed the stupidly over-the-top number of smileys I put into that post

I haven't read the whole thread but I chose ACU as I prefer the way it looks.

Sure it might not work very well in Woodland but I play at F&O Asylum (Old mental hospital) and it isn't that bad.

I don't go for a particular unit look but I do like what I have to look as real as I can get it.

It suits me fine, is actually very comfortable and gets a lot of comments!

Always messed about with impressions and PMC kits and such. Now just saying f*ck it and doing exactly what I need and want...M81 Woodland and tan gear. I had an AK first, since I was dead-set on being a communist, but decided an AK is awesome no matter what. Then got an SPR MOD 0, which consequently broke. Now I have my Dboys PDW, which doesn't fit anything but PMC, but who cares anyway. Eventually I'd like to get an M14 and pimp it out.

Archived