Gaming pet peeves?

Warpix

Non-playing players in the staging zone, firing shots into the field.... there have been countless times when I've been ordered to find/report on the rogue shots, only to find out its a bunch of guys dicking around.

moochers who don't chip in for gas in the carpool... comp me a meal, throw me a fiver or something. costs me 40 dollars round trip to drive us and our gear... help a little.

people who don't play along in "realism" games that require roleplaying.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darkchild: There is a fine line between a pushy bad leader and good leader. They both push, but the effect is clearly different.

From your work I am sure you have seen examples of good and bad leadership.

I don't like to seem like a pushy know-it-all either, so I often let players struggle a bit, before stepping up and taking charge. Or I step through the process to let them see the mistake they are making.

If you know better, prove it by showing them how its done. Being loud and pushy as you know, is exactly the wrong type of leadership.

My take on it is, if you want to get the best outcome in the game and you have the right stuff, its best that you take charge before an arrsehole does. In any system, hierarchy will always evolve some type of leadership and 90-95% of the time it will be some arrsehole who takes charge. Most People like positive reinforcement, constructive feedback even if they often refuse to listen, and its best to give them the best form of that on the field.

The players who have been fantastic under my "command" have been the ones who are highly motivated, takes appropriate initiative, but willing to listen and learn. They know I am there trying to help them do something that they aren't good at doing themselves, and hence will value my point of view, but because they take initiative, they will "fill the gaps" in my battle plans and gives me feedback about it so I can learn also. Funny enough its usually from a team I have never been in command before.

As a "commander", I have no problems with people lone rangering so long as in the scenario games people adhere to our pre-agreed battle plan, keep comms and fill the gaps tactically (lone rangers are the best defensive leveraging or recce element in a game). As a player I appreciate leaders who doesn't have an ego, doesn't mouth off or brag, and listen to what we have to say, to prevent them making a momentus mistake.

Fair enough mate :) Matter of choice.

Those reasons are for me, having seen large scenario games go from good to nightmarish bad because of incompetance in leadership and lack of gamesmanship on the part of the player is heart-breaking considering the amount of work it takes to organise such games.

In my country here we don't get paid organising games, we do it out of love.

• 1 month later...
People who aparently "can't hear a BFG over the noise of their gearbox", yes I have come across this once...

I can vouch for that, he heard the marshall though :D

Non hit takers.

elitist t**ts

again the continuation of fire even when you have called your hit.

the swagger of a non dead player pretending to be dead

a 15 year old telling me how to play the game

a 15 year old dissecting every weapon I have

P90s

boxmag heroes with CQB M4s

People who think they are above the rules

Being tactical whilst my girlfriends bumbling bafoon of a brother is standing bolt uprite in a firefight and its me that that gets shot.

Spawn campers(not the gaming type)

Non-hit takers.

n00bs who try to know it all.

Elitists towards all, especially younger and less expaerinced players who are only there to have fun, not boast.

Bad marshals.

Box mags on anything non-support gun, to my mind it must be a real world replica or a support gun to have a box mag.

People using excess amounts of pyro.

Also to echo what Darkchild130 said earlier, when moving up on my own and hitting someone out from cover only to have them carry on playing dut to thinking they aren't 'that bad enough' to have someone sneak up on them. As i am a pistol player and have no full auto options this is a bugger to do everytime, though i have a solution as most of the time they are facing away the first shot is in the arm / leg, next in the back, next in the spine and finally the back of the neck. Most people take it after the back, though a few have reached the spne before having the guts to admit they are out, not that nice a system but not that nice a person to cheat in the first place.

Though luckily the guys i drive along to the local all understand (bar one) when to take the lead, usually i am in the recon style of play and return, having scored a hit or two, to relay the info that may help them advance. But i know when i need support fire to move up i can count on them, when a charge is needed we go in order, me at the forefront to move up on the enemy and get close.

'FireKnife'

The fact that I process things quicker than every one else, while under fire.

I'm forever shooting folk & then having to shoot them again because they haven't declared it. They then get the hump & moan about overkill.

I can only put this down to a faster processing speed, as I can't believe anyone in airsoft would attempt,,,,,,,,,,,, 'cheating'. :D

Greg.

It grips my sh*t when I read forum threads on the 'special forum' of someone who wants to turn a P90 into a sniper rifle, I mean why? why would you turn an already hideous design crime into an even more extended hideous design crime. Then have the gual to post renders of it up, I swear my eyes bled it was that fugly.

People who wave their guns around in my general direction while in the safe zone. It may only fire bb's, and you may have the mag out, but I don't trust you!

Please don't shoot me in the eye, especially if it's an accident!

People who take the chance to test their weapons while the marshall is giving a safety briefing!

Being shot in the finger and having to declare a hit. I'm pretty sure if I was actually shot in the finger, I'd give a good try at carrying on!

I'm glad I get out after a finger hit - hurts like a *badgeress* ! What really annoys me is players that don't put any effort towards the teams success. At a normal walk on or something, I guess its ok, but when your at a full on milsim event, and they just hole up for the *entire* day in one tactically pointless spot, well, It kinda annoys me....

also, people who choose really bad moments to ask me questions about my gun. we are defending a base against swarms of enemy and you want to know what kind of vertical grip i like?!

And this exactly! I once was defending a building (alamo kinda deal here...), and some randomer decided it was an amazing time to ask what make my backpack was! I still have no idea what provoked that question :huh:

1) i like to be the sneaky b@stard that backstabs or ambushes 2-4 people at once

2) AUG usually outguns and out aims anything that is in the same FPS range.

3) Loner

4) I LOVE to take out people with as little shots as possible.

5)Only one spare mag on my BDU pocket

6)lightweight, gun, protection, thats all.

7)relies too much on my concealment , sometimes i forgot that i have to work as a team to win.

Living players pretending to be dead, its underhanded, lacking entirely in skill (its only peoples good nature that lets them get kills from it) and they wonder why we start firing at them whether they appear to be dead or not..

They infuriate me beyond belief, a guy did it the other day at our spawn point, and was then angry when a dead player respawned and proceeded to lace the slovenly git.

1) i like to be the sneaky b@stard that backstabs or ambushes 2-4 people at once

2) AUG usually outguns and out aims anything that is in the same FPS range.

3) Loner

4) I LOVE to take out people with as little shots as possible.

5)Only one spare mag on my BDU pocket

6)lightweight, gun, protection, thats all.

7)relies too much on my concealment , sometimes i forgot that i have to work as a team to win.

Isn't this just a list about how awesome you supposedly are? :D

I really hate the guys that carry 7 guns out into the field, and then five minutes later they go back and ditch them all. What's the point?!!!!

Isn't this just a list about how awesome you supposedly are? :D

I really hate the guys that carry 7 guns out into the field, and then five minutes later they go back and ditch them all. What's the point?!!!!

nah, its a peeve.

My team leader always nags at me to be support gunner or work with some teammates

,which frankly speaking, needs me to support fire in order to advance.

My teamwork really sucks sometimes... :(

The assclown with the rental who hides in the back of the facility, cowering in the corner, and then decides in the last 2 minutes of the game he wants to play, and f*cks up everything.

Or the guy acting like he's a 4-star General and has done tons of missions with SAS and Delta Force, but his plan sucks anyway.

1, It grips my sh*t when I read forum threads on the 'special forum' of someone who wants to turn a P90 into a sniper rifle,

2, I mean why?

3, why would you turn an already hideous design crime into an even more extended hideous design crime.

4, Then have the gual to post renders of it up, I swear my eyes bled it was that fugly.

1, I did it. :D

2, To use as a compact urban sniper. Short length made it easier to use in (firing at targets beyond med) & around buildings. You can take pot shots at folk at extended ranges & they never guess it's the guy with the 90. If you start pointing a vsr at folk 70m away, they run for cover. Do it with a 90 & they laugh at ya,,,,,,,,,,, until they get hit!

3, I slapped a Kings Arms 1-3x mag sight & a silencer on mine. Hardly out of the ordinary for a 90. Agreed, some folk (like yourself) will never see the 90 as a pretty gun. I don't. But it works well. Funnily enough the bullpup configuration, gearbox design (super tough motor cage) & super stable hop made it a perfect platform for an electro sniper. ;)

4. Yes, I saw that & had the same reaction. :(

Greg.

The assclown with the rental who hides in the back of the facility, cowering in the corner, and then decides in the last 2 minutes of the game he wants to play, and f*cks up everything.

Or the guy acting like he's a 4-star General and has done tons of missions with SAS and Delta Force, but his plan sucks anyway.

Makes me feel luck our team has an actual EX- LAPD SWAT officer in charge of teaming us up and giving very good advice on CQB matters.

:)

I actually forgot about it when I was playing CQB , so that must be stupid in some way.

The HK416 is reengineered by ripping off another Armalite design, spraying on a different logo, adding a thousand dollars to the price, a sense of Teutonic elitism, and terrible customer service. And then made to look, and in part feel, like a familiar weapon system so internet fanboys and mall ninjas would have something else to drool over and declare the innate superiority of despite never having even touched one, because they suck and HK (no &, &s are too low-speed, high-drag) hates them :P

Wow, can't believe it took someone so long to notice your typos :P

1) Fanboys that get loud about it. There is a place in my bed for just about everything that Česká Zbrojovka has ever manufactured, but ours is a secret love, to be whispered in the dark, not to be bandied about like last night's bar wench.

And this exactly! I once was defending a building (alamo kinda deal here...), and some randomer decided it was an amazing time to ask what make my backpack was! I still have no idea what provoked that question huh.gif

That's actually kind of cool, if you imagine him still shooting while he does it, just asking idle questions because he is bored.

Living players pretending to be dead, its underhanded, lacking entirely in skill

This.

Only time I lost my temper in a game was with this and it didn't even happen to me. Just team mates. Was then played off by said person as someone just "trying to have fun." :rolleyes:

Well thought out deception is one thing, but stuff like that leads to more problems and yelling matches then people not calling hits.

Main ones (apart from cheating etc) is people that stand back at plink and stuff instead of getting stuck in, yeah I know there are different styles of play, but whats the point of just putting bbs down when you can't hit anybody with them.

Don't slag 'em too much.

If you banned them, you would only be left with a few people to shoot at. :o

Greg.

Archived