Magpul Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was just a mock up. Internals are still on the work bench getting finished up. Had a long way to go from when these pics were taken. A lot of progress has been made since on getting it finished up. Soon as I get finished photos i'll post them.

Sweet, cant wait to see the final result.

It's maybe a kind of newbie question, but the heck - I just never thought about it before...

What is the origin of RS Magpul lower receiver ? Actually only places I've seen it are Stickman's photo albums. There's no info about it as a regular Magpul product on their site.

Do you know anything ?

Some kind of short run, "collector's item" or something ?

I found this on some forum.

1.How many Magpul lowers were made? Response by Magpul:

“A little over 950 made it through processing to be finished lowers. Several (about 30) of these we weeded out during the QC process to be dummy or display lowers (trigger area completly cut out).”

2.What types of lowers are there? Response by Magpul in quotations:

There are three main types of lowers: A, B, C. However there were also 3 initial test lowers as well as a few unspecified ones.

A series lowers: ambidextrous controls

-So far 125 of them have been released as part of Noveske Special Edition Rifles

-50 Noveske Moes

-50 Noveske Recces

-25 Noveske SPRs

B series lowers: same as A but without ambidextrous controls

-Have never seen one or heard much about them

C series lowers: China doll logo on them.

-These were never released to the general public. People who have them received them as a gift or have very good connections.

“Of the remainder (about 900 lowers) 130 are C series and the rest were spilt roughly evenly between A's and B's with many of the B's still un-anodized and not gone through final QC.”

3.Why do they all have different addresses?

The A series lowers says Erie CO, the C series says Longmont CO, and 3 rarest lowers say Boulder CO. I’ve yet to see or here anything much about the B series lowers so far. Response from Magpul in reference to the addresses:

“Address changed as we moved locations and our manufacturing FFL address changed also.”

4.Which ones are the rarest?

The rarest Magpul lowers are MPL0001,2 and 3 since there are only 3 in existence. The second rarest are the C series since their are only 130 and there were only given to people with connections to Magpul. Quote from Magpul:

“There were three lowers MPL0001,2 and 3. that were the initial samples made out of 6061 ALU (all others are 7075) to test the CNC program. These three lowers remain the property of Magpul (although one employee incorrectly believes 0003 is his because he has been "testing" it for a few years now). There are a few other handful of special and "set up" lowers that were not released and do not conform to AB or C numbering conventions."

5.Who made the lowers? Response by Magpul:

“Some rough prep work was done by sub contractors (a few were not even AR manufactures). All final work, including magwell broaching and operations to turn the lowers into a firearm, were done on location at Magpul in Colorado.”

6.Will they ever make any more? Response by Magpul:

“The insurance issue was the main reason for not producing these as stripped lowers. Our current underwriter would only cover what we had built under our existing policy, only if they were sold as completed rifles built by a competent manufacture. To sell firearms as a manufacture (as part of your primary business) requires a whole different set of underwriting than accessories. Sorry that is just a fact. As for ($$$) for a rifle, the small amount we get for each lower sold does not even cover our costs we have in each lower. It would have been more cost effective to scrap the lowers and take the tax deduction. We couldn't bear to do that so we found a way to release them, knowing that whatever we decided to do someone, somewhere would be upset. I can say the Magpul lower, as released, will remain quite rare as we have no intention of producing the design. It also has the old FFL name on the side which no longer used (Magpul Armament CO as opposed to the new Magpul Military Industries). Again this does not affect function but for a collecter it is important.

THAT is an interesting setup.....I am assuming the inner extends into the suppressor? Whats the reason not setup with a longer RIS?

That's a whole *suitcase* load of awesome pics, +1s dished out for all. B.E.N that is a very strange combination of tiny barrel and suppressor but it does look good, certainly can't fault the originality,

Thanks guys... Must admit, the guns a bit of a *bramston pickle* child... It started life as a Marui M4 PDW, and as such incorporated a HORRIBLE stubby stock and the tiny RIS front with short barrel. It had also been built with one of those silly G&P Zombie Killer bodies but I got a deal on it and the gearbox was sound. I've built it on a budget and managed to trade the Zombie killer body for the Magpul one via a generous mate.

The inner barrel doesn't actually extend into the silencer YET, but when I can be bothered to cut the one I have down, it will.

I did plan on getting a longer RIS, but it will just cost more and probably end up weighing more... I did originally intend the gun to be a short, light and fast CQB weapon but I couldn't resist tinkering...

That's my KWA PTP (Operator) with custom made rear sights. The M4 is a WE GBBR with a Noveske mid length rail system. I'm kind of liking the Daniel Defense styled system though...

As for the holster, it is indeed a homebrew holster. It was my first attempt at making them. Made a lot of mistakes, but the end product is still very good for the way it turned out. I'm considering making and selling them, once I can refine the method.

As much as i liked the look of the 14.5 barrel, i realised i'm not good with longer weapons. Trees don't deserve it.

Back to a 10.5, and some Magpuls for my Pmags...

P1000612.jpg

Oh, and i know the colours are horribly mis-matched... I like it that way xD

Edited by hwagan