Why the English System sucks

aznriptide859

Is now a good time to point out that the Metric system is no more 'scientific' than Imperial? :)

Basing the metre (and thereby it's sub-units) on the diameter of the Earth as a sphere (when it isn't) and a constant (when it isn't) is no better than an inch being three barleycorns (which it is, or thereabouts)

I will agree that any system that counts in units of 10 rather than the jumble of the Imperial system is better, but don't kid yourself it's any more scientific just because scientists use it. ;)

Oh and amusing factoid:

I worked for in R&D for an American based company owned by an Englishman.

He told everyone to use metric on their drawings.

The US arm refused, citing the metric system as a pinko commie plot to stop them buying US based steel lengths as the Union-run mills would only supply in Imperial lengths.

Much hair-pulling and arguing went on.

The US arm eventually compromised by supplying their drawings in Decimilized Imperial ( 1/2" was displayed as 0.500")

Which made matters worse as the British engineers could easily convert Imperial to Metric in their head, but when someone's sent you a drawing with 0.9556 as the dimension it's fair to say there were more than a few WTF? moments :)

Is now a good time to point out that the Metric system is no more 'scientific' than Imperial? :)

There are no imperial electrical units, i know physics is rarely done on a farm but its considerably useful to us doing a lot of work with electricity ;)

There is good reason why scientists, engineers etc. use it over imperial :umnik:

Not true. There are the Toronto Blue Jays. :P

:D Oh, that's all right then ;) .

Canada don't count. Even the Canadians will tell you that. :rolleyes:

& the only reason they are 'in', is so the U.S. can keep on calling a domestic league, a 'world series'.

Lets face it, it's a bit pretentious isn't it?

It's like me saying, we have an international airsoft site, just because, out of 100 players, 'Ravi's' parents came from Bangladesh. :(

I don't know how you define it but 'World', sort of indicates more than two countries to me.

Two countries that close together, barely qualify as 'international'. Let alone 'World'.

C'mon. <_<

Greg.

The brits (= the British to the politically correct people) did not fall in line and just adopted the metric system. They had a proper good old whinge about it and even took to the Europen Courrt of Justice which means that they are allowed to use both imperial and the metric system.

The French did do a very good thing though inventing the metric system. Hands up for the French.

P.S. Don't get offended - life is too short. And if you do, then get on with it

Had a gooood laugh :)

I have quite problems with that imperial nonsense - e. g. I was buying a backpack from an USA based company, and having to trans cubic inch to cm3 really wasn't fun, not that it would be that difficult, but still ;)

Google does this for you search for something like:

"1000 cubic inches in litres"

I'm not a science guy in anyway, but I use a mix, I use grams etc from measuring food, stone for my weight, cm for my height, miles for distance etc etc. Its quite confusing. I was registring with a gp and they needed my weight in kilos, I tried desperatly to work it out on my phone but it didn't work, so I have to go back in a week so they can weigh me :/

:D Oh, that's all right then ;) .

Canada don't count. Even the Canadians will tell you that. :rolleyes:

& the only reason they are 'in', is so the U.S. can keep on calling a domestic league, a 'world series'.

Lets face it, it's a bit pretentious isn't it?

It's like me saying, we have an international airsoft site, just because, out of 100 players, 'Ravi's' parents came from Bangladesh. :(

I don't know how you define it but 'World', sort of indicates more than two countries to me.

Two countries that close together, barely qualify as 'international'. Let alone 'World'.

C'mon. <_<

Greg.

Haha, I know. Just being facetious.

I'm not a science guy in anyway, but I use a mix, I use grams etc from measuring food, stone for my weight, cm for my height, miles for distance etc etc. Its quite confusing. I was registring with a gp and they needed my weight in kilos, I tried desperatly to work it out on my phone but it didn't work, so I have to go back in a week so they can weigh me :/

Your weight in pounds (stone x 14) x 2.2?

That makes me think: How come hash (call it what you will) is imperial & coke (call it what you will) went metric? :huh:

Haha, I know. Just being facetious.

Me too. :D

Greg.

Basing the metre (and thereby it's sub-units) on the diameter of the Earth as a sphere (when it isn't) and a constant (when it isn't) is no better than an inch being three barleycorns (which it is, or thereabouts)

wrong

both nautical mile and kilometers are based on the lenght of the equator

the nautical mile uses the normal systhem of measuring an angle (the earth is 360° or 21600') thats why the equator is 21600 NM long

the kilo meter is based on the systhem where there are 400° (i think thts the military systhem)

i could be wrong but its something like that

in navigation its mutch more easier to work with the imperial systhem 1° = 60nm

in regular life i use the metric systhem and in school the imperial

they are both just as easy once you get used to it

Erm, not sure about that.

You reckon it's just a coincidence that 1 cubic metre of water weighs 1 metric tonne or that 1mm of water equates to 1mbar pressure?

The thing is, you gotta give the Imperial system credit for actually trying to standardise stuff in a world where nobody else really cared.

It's not surprising that, once the world really got to grips with the idea of physical science, that we'd start to realise that there ARE correlations between various measurements and, as a result, any system developed once we were aware of all these links would be more logical.

We brit's are probably more messed-up than anybody.

Yanks stubbornly refuse to have anything to do with the metric system.

The rest of the world has embraced it completely.

We're kinda stuck in a limbo where we try to use the metric system but are surrounded by the Imperial system on a day to day basis.

You reckon it's just a coincidence that 1 cubic metre of water weighs 1 metric tonne or that 1mm of water equates to 1mbar pressure?

Well done stealth, you've spotted it.

The metric 'lengths' have nothing to do with the diameter of the planet, it's all based on water at rtp, in base 10. :rolleyes:

The clue's in the name. ;)

Greg.

The thing is, you gotta give the Imperial system credit for actually trying to standardise stuff in a world where nobody else really cared.

It's not surprising that, once the world really got to grips with the idea of physical science, that we'd start to realise that there ARE correlations between various measurements and, as a result, any system developed once we were aware of all these links would be more logical.

We brit's are probably more messed-up than anybody.

Yanks stubbornly refuse to have anything to do with the metric system.

The rest of the world has embraced it completely.

We're kinda stuck in a limbo where we try to use the metric system but are surrounded by the Imperial system on a day to day basis.

Your broad generalities of the US's desire to stay Imperial is disturbing. Just about every university and high school in the US uses Metric during science classes. I can't think of a single math based class or anything dealing with units that was in Imperial units. Infact, everytime a problem dealing in Imperial units came up it was far more confusing to work out then the 9000000000 metric problems we did the day before simply because we were not used to working in imperial. It had nothing to do with not knowing how to convert from Ounces to Gallons or what have you, just lack of use in the "scientific" world.

The reason behind staying Imperial is simply because some of the older folk have no idea what the hell it is or are so used to the Imperial system it's just easier to stay. By the time my brother's generation gets to old age (Born in the early 80's) the switch to Metric would be much easier as the majority of people in the US will then have serious exposure to the system. People like my parents, and grand parents, honestly have no idea how to go from a KM to Miles, feet to meters, etc.

Petrol by the Gallon

What garage you been using?! Fuel has been sold by the litre since the conversion back in the 60s and 70s. I cant wait till they actually finish the process and make my job easier, I've never met a single person that knew how many yards were in a mile (without cheating via google/ phone).

In 1983, the metre was redefined as the distance travelled by light in free space in 1⁄299,792,458 of a second.[1]

Effective July 1, 1959, the United States and countries of the British Commonwealth defined the length of the international yard to be exactly 0.9144 metres. [1] Consequently, the international inch is defined to be equal to exactly 25.4 millimetres.

Source: Wikipedia.

You all do realise that it's easier when you just multiply by ten, instead of 16 etc?

Do any of you have anything positive to say about the imperial system?

What garage you been using?! Fuel has been sold by the litre since the conversion back in the 60s and 70s.

What garage had you been using to be selling petrol illegally in litres back in the 60's and 70's?

It became legal to sell by the litre in '81 and took a few years for garages to convert.

Most did it because their screens only went up to 99.9 (as many of todays petrol stations found out last year) so when petrol reached £1.00 per gal it was easier to switch, and also made the fuel appear cheaper.

Some pumps still have signs on them converting the cost per litre to gal, although they used to only go up to £1/L

I remember the days of 2 and 3 star petrol.

Archived