BAILIFFS ARE HARRESSING ME!

Punkypink

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What?

How is it then that I know a few people with real guns? Oh yes, because they have firearms licences, that wonderful thing that in the UK will allow you to purchase and own guns if you meet certain requirements. :rolleyes:

Put it this way, guns are not legal here like they are in the USA. I mean, heck I could also say that there are a few people with real guns in Singapore, because they have firearm licences yada yada... but really, firearms are illegal in Singapore. Just because some people happen to have the right to ownership because they meet very specific requirements...

Now lay off the snark and the eye-rolley please. Am not in the mood today.

But generally, not handguns.

Not on a Section 1 FAC at least, but a S1 FAC with the the correct extensions and ability to get to suitable ranges will allow you to buy a pretty large range of firearms, be it semi-auto .22LR MP5 alikes or a 50cal rifle ;)

Quite a misconception that we can't have any guns over here, providing you can jump through the hoops you can actually get quite a considerable range dispite FA weapons and handguns being extremely hard to get.

Put it this way, guns are not legal here like they are in the USA.

You said illegal, not a more limited range/access than in America, I corrected you.

You said illegal, not a more limited range/access than in America, I corrected you.

Yea ok thanks for correcting me in a sarcastic and eye-rolley way. You're such a regular diplomat aren't you. Well done you, have a *fruitcage* cookie.

By that measure firearms are not illegal in Singapore either, and in most countries for that matter, because there is no country I know of where it is illegal for everyone, including law enforcement, the military and "special" people to own arms.

Don't you have a friend living in the area Emily?

What I'd be tempted to do is remove all my valuable stuff from the house - my guitars, airsoft gear, etc. - and store them at a mates place until I'd sorted the whole baliff thing out.

You never know when you'll next need to pop to the shop or Uni, come back and the stuff is being removed.

Then I'd probably go to the local council offices and speak to someone directly.

Last thing you want is someone spotting a gun, by the way. The police won't care about anything apart from whose the gun is, where it is, where it came from, why you have it, etc.

Ben.

Don't you have a friend living in the area Emily?

What I'd be tempted to do is remove all my valuable stuff from the house - my guitars, airsoft gear, etc. - and store them at a mates place until I'd sorted the whole baliff thing out.

You never know when you'll next need to pop to the shop or Uni, come back and the stuff is being removed.

Then I'd probably go to the local council offices and speak to someone directly.

Last thing you want is someone spotting a gun, by the way. The police won't care about anything apart from whose the gun is, where it is, where it came from, why you have it, etc.

Ben.

Ah I got the whole gun thing sorted. Meanwhile we in the flat know not to open the door to anyone in unless we're sure they're not bailiffs. Some poor Green Party campaigner found that out earlier today.

Good thing is, next week is reading week, so I'll be mostly home. Come monday I'm calling the council up and giving them a right earful. While I'm at it I'm letting them have a left earful as well.

Are you mentally challenged? If not, you should probably look into it cause you might get better parking or something...

Skarclaw. That is no suitable way to address others on a forum. If you think it is a stupid suggestion, say so. Do not try to start a flamewar...

And to answer. No. I am not mentally challenged. But based on the way you are talking to me, i would guess you are. There are plenty cultures around the world and i am not in yours. Different cultures have different laws, and i assumed that your had the same view on guns.

Punky, I still think you should retain a lawyer and get them to at least serve some sort of notice to the Bailiffs. Also complaining to the BBB like I said is an option too.

I'm not sure how the culture around the UK is though but if it's anything like the US then serve lawsuits for everyone and everything that has a heartbeat or that moves.

Also a post at the Consumerist might clear this all up too. Once a company gets shamed, especially smaller outfits they tend to drop anything they're doing that's questionable because now everyone is watching them.

Also if worst comes to worst, get some "Gu Wak Jai!" to help you out. I'm almost 100% sure the company will stop after a chat from some of them.

When you speak to the local council (ideally in person) *fruitcage* wits that unfortunately seem to be in charge of your area, demand that they telephone the company in question, DEMAND, in front of you, and don't take no for an answer or something like "yes we will do that shortly" "No, you will do it now you *fruitcage* *Ubar*!" or words to that effect.

Secondly, if the baillif wankers come back, ring the rozzers. Don't tell them they are baillifs, just say that you are female (use your sex to your advantage) and scream like a mother *fruitcage* down the phone that you are under attack by a group of men and they are trying to force their way into your home. Don't threaten the baillifs that you're going to call the police, just do it. And make sure all your toys and combat gear is secured away out of site!

Skarclaw. That is no suitable way to address others on a forum. If you think it is a stupid suggestion, say so. Do not try to start a flamewar...

And to answer. No. I am not mentally challenged. But based on the way you are talking to me, i would guess you are. There are plenty cultures around the world and i am not in yours. Different cultures have different laws, and i assumed that your had the same view on guns.

I think having a gun lying around anywhere when baliffs are hassling you is a bad idea in most places.

I think having a gun lying around anywhere when baliffs are hassling you is a bad idea in most places.

I see his point though. In most scandinavian countries where adults not only are allowed to own guns, but HAVE to because of the country's military reservist schemes, a guy lying around probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow even during a bailiff visit.

Punky - Go *badgeress* at the Council properly. This should be easy to fix. Bailiffs can be scary but you seem to have cottoned on to the fact that for the most part they are trying to con you out of your stuff.

I spent some time before I went to Uni working for 'Credit Control' at a well known phone operator and a good deal of the time was spent fixing these *fruitcage* ups where the debt has been sold on to bailiffs.

Punky

From your dealings with the local council do you know:

Have the local council applied to the courts for a Liability Order?

If Yes

Did the local council give you 14 days notice in writing that the Liability Order is being passed to the Bailiff Company for collection?

Did the Bailiff show you a copy of the liability order?

I understand you position that the council have royally *fruitcage*ed up and you shouldn't be paying but depending on your answers to the above the bailiffs could be on very dodgy ground ;)

out of curiosity - who are the bailiffs

She already posted it up dude.

Chandlers Limited

Chandlers House, 2 Southlands Road,

Bromley, Kent BR2 9QP

I still suggest contacting Consumerist http://consumerist.com/

Who knows, if they put your story up then the company is looking at a lot of bad press, even moreso than just complaining to your local better business bureau (or equivalent). Hell, your council is looking at some bad press too if the consumerist gets a hold of this and puts it up on their page.

Punky

From your dealings with the local council do you know:

Have the local council applied to the courts for a Liability Order?

If Yes

Did the local council give you 14 days notice in writing that the Liability Order is being passed to the Bailiff Company for collection?

Did the Bailiff show you a copy of the liability order?

I understand you position that the council have royally *fruitcage*ed up and you shouldn't be paying but depending on your answers to the above the bailiffs could be on very dodgy ground ;)

I am not sure if the council has indeed obtained a Liability order, but even if they have, that is a mistake on THEIR part.

I've written in to my Ward's councilors with a very strongly worded and angry email. We shall see how it goes in the next few days.

I am not sure if the council has indeed obtained a Liability order, but even if they have, that is a mistake on THEIR part.

I've written in to my Ward's councilors with a very strongly worded and angry email. We shall see how it goes in the next few days.

The council need to obtain a liability order before they instruct the bailiffs!! Then they have to give you 14 days notice in writing that they are passing it on to the bailiffs!

Until you get it sorted with the council - BE CAUTIOUS! An open or unlocked door or window is an 'open invitation' IE: if they can just walk in they can and will

and if you really want to wind the bailiff up if he comes back - he should be a 'certificated bailiff' Ask to see his certficate! NOTE: His I.D. card IS NOT his certificate, and he has to produce his certificate if asked ;) If he cant produce it tell him to Foxtrot Oscar and to come back when he has got it - bailiffs are all Bluff and Bluster - ballShi77ing people. They hate it when they run up against someone with a bit of knowledge

:)

Is it bad that my first thought was, "come and take them"?

In the Μολών λαβέ-sense, of course.

My sympathies. I hope everything works out alright. I know that my response would consist of getting locked and loaded, calling my lawyer, my father, and then putting 911 on speed dial... and that response isn't exactly one that can be taken in the UK.

Archived