do you abuse your precious kit?

sniperiain

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say I purposely 'abuse' my kit, especially not my guns, but I've put my 901 through quite a lot in the year that I've had it. Crawling through snow, mud, streams and diving into bunkers, and it's still holding up, just as I expected it to since I got it.

My view is, if you pay for top-end kit, that's designed to withstand the kind of conditions serving soldiers face in combat zones, then you know it's going to withstand a few hours' play once every two weeks. It's nice to know that it'll come out the other side still in good nick, doing the job it was designed to do.

The motto at my local site for those who hire out AEGs is that if you fall into a river, then you should save the gun before you save yourself. It's said in a jokey way, but it rings true for everyone. It's easier and cheaper to replace your clothes or your gear than it is to replace or repair an expensive weapon.

Well I'm playing with the guns and i don't throw them around! The airsoft guns tend to be quite fragile! Most of the times I play as a sniper and usualy I just lie down with the ghillie and trying to possition myself for tha one shot... ! Yes the ghillie or whatever I wear is dirty but I look after my guns, especially the Asahi WA2000 I've skirmished with it twice and I've been to 2 indoor target shooting competitions and I haven't make a scratch to it yet!

Theres things i will abuse and things i wont, my AK for example i'd happily throw it a reasonable distance to a teammate knowing it might hit the ground and not be bothered, and when i mag change i use my new mag to hit the mag release allowing the spent mag to fall to the floor. However my new Magpul custom M4 will be loved, i almost cried when it got dusty in a game at the nuclear bunker i played at on sunday :(

I don't "abuse" my gear. But I don't think about it either. I like to see my stuff get worn, that little splotch of blood on my LBT 1961a makes it even better to me. :D

Its not like I go around saying "oh, better avoid that thicket of thorn bushes. Don't wanna tear up my gear." But I do like my stuff to look used.

Was gaming coupla months back during winter, lower part of the field was flooded from the torrential rain we had all week, and the drainage pumps had failed to cope with the water volume(its a farm/partially reclaimed land) ended up playing in waist deep water most of the time, if not deeper, was the most fun i ever had, ended up covered in all kinds (Muddy water, fun) but nothing will beat the sight of a good mate, an ex-UK-army chap, all you could see above the waterline was his eyes, nose, and the muzzle of his AK, was the scariest sight i ever saw.

I have crawled through 40ft of mud (only to have my dumbass teammate open fire at the enemy respawn point and get us all hosed)

I have tripped on a coil of wire and fallen onto rocks with my CAM15A4 breaking my fall (still my primary to this day), have dragged my M15 through mud while climbing a steep-ish field and sunk (slowly) into the side of a muddy hill while waiting for the opfor to pass by

Sometimes the durability of this stuff really surprises me.

i think i would cry if i put a scratch on a Asahi WA2000 esp as i don't own one.

All my kit is fit for purpose and as such will take most anything i throw at it.

I guess if you pay 2500 euros for a rare classic gun such as Asahi WA2000 DX (125 pieces STD version 125 pieces DX Version build in total) you probably feel as I do!

Look after it as you own eyes!!

P.S. I bought it for a specific task.... precision airsoft target shooting competition!

Cheers

George

• 2 weeks later...

I do take care of my things whenever I can, but if the situation doesn't allow you stay mud or dustfree then so be it. I treat my gear like I did in the army. Our 416 could take a fall and beating, but we didn't do it on purpose just because it could take it. If you take care of your gear and gun, then it will take care of you, by not jamming or ripping at critical moments.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually buy gear as surplus or from private ads so most of my stuff comes in a fairly used state. I like to do a bit of buck lepping about on the field be it in stupidity or fun so I dont see the point of having "precious" gear that costs a fortune if itll get wrecked. I did watch in hilarity though as my bro riped the crotch out of his £70 ACU... :)

A friend of mine, (Stuey), lent his TM AK Spetznaz out to someone at our local site, halkfway through the day the borrower came up to me and said this gun wasn't firing and couldn't find my mate. Pulled the trigger and heard this long rattling sound. I pulled the mag out and checked the feed etc. Then looked at the barrel, the guy had obviously been digging a hole or something with it as the flash hider was simply full of solid mud! Took it off and a whole barrel full of bbs dropped out. I cleared it then put it back together. TBH though my mate seemed fairly pleased with the wear on his AK, said he liked the weathered look. I also dont really care tbh, providing it works, its fine by me.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to put my kit through the mill if it means taking an objective, and i don't abuse it just for the sake of it.

my weapons will however stay clean, thus ensuring reliable function. there's nothing worse than a jam or malfunction in the middle of an engagement.

Archived