Another Scratchbuilt MG42

jimmiroquai

Hi all. Just thought i'd share my MG42 build....

MG4247.jpg

mg4250.jpg

mg4249.jpg

MG4248.jpg

mg4251.jpg

To summarize.....

*This was based on MG42 plans from john-tom.com (very much modified to make it closer to real steel dimensions)

*Receiver, barrel shroud and top cover fabricated out of 2mm rolled sheet steel, Booster cone was milled out of aluminum

mg4215.jpg

*Grip stick was fabricated out of layered laser-cut 10mm and 1mm sheet steel. It is also larger than realsteel to accommodate the motor

mg4221.jpg

*Stock is wood, grip panels are layered sintra board

*some external details (top cover latch, barrel door handle, trunion, charging handle rail) were made out of PVC

mg4238.jpg

mg4239.jpg

* Real steel parts: Bipod, charging handle, iron sights, drum mag

*Internals:

Version 3 Gearbox

Stock JG gearset

PDI210 spring

TU Spring guide w/bearings

7mm steel bushings

JG Blue Motor

Stock nozzle

Type0 (closed) cylinder

Madbull 650mm 6.03id barrel

Stock AK hop

*Drum mag internals: M4 C mag, Sound and pressure switch activated

mg4217.jpg

* FPS: 480 with 0.2g bbs

* It's HEAVY: 17.5lbs or around 7kg with bbs

Some things i would have done differently....

1) Use a Version 6 (P90/Thompson) gearbox and P90 hop chamber instead : Motor angle is closer to RS and P90 hop is top loading

2) Have the receiver powder coated before gluing/riveting the plastic parts.

Thanks! Cost me more than 300USD to build, mainly because i had to outsource a lot of the metal work. But if you have the skills and the tools to do the metal work on your own, this would turn out much much cheaper.

At that price ... even for a couple hundred more, I reckon most people would still be willing to pay that for what you've shown here. There's money to be made there. :)

Bane/Kenworth: I spoke about those 1200rpm because of the realistic ROF of the Gun, something so beautiful MUST shoot like the real one for pure epicalawesomesechs... :devil:

And I agree with USMC, If you can make it for 300$ add a couple of hundreds more and they will be flying out of your hands faster than you can actually produce them ;)

That is beautiful... I think waiting for the ACM might be fruitless... time to get the housemate to talk to the engineers at work, after all if they can build missiles, an MG3 should be doable, of course at my current rate of progress I should have one finished just in time for them to finish phasing out the MG3 in 2012, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived