working 1-4x spectre dr

midnight_sailor

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jdizzle - how top heavy does that make your m4 would you say? i remember once fitting my SAW's elcan to my m4 and it about flipped it over, lol.

thanks

It doesn't necessarily make it top heavy, just heavier in general...LOL. The replica Specters, (and RS ones for that matter) are pretty beefy optics, so they're definitely not for weight savings. :)

Just noticed they flipped the ARMS levers upside down on the replica as well...Haha.

I just don't understand why these crappy clone companies can go through all the trouble of basically replicating a fairly complex optic in it's general design down to the last curve and edge, and yet leave out the finishing details that seem to be the easiest parts to replicate.

If only someone could get the optic right, they'd have people who keep saying "Maybe the next version will be correct." buying their current one this very second. *sigh*

It's a shame the first SpecterDR replica wasn't modelled after the real fixed x4 magnification SpecterDR OS4X which has been selected by the UK MoD to be the formal replacement for the SUSAT after the interim ACoG UOR. I'd have bought a Picatinney adapter and sight for my L85A2 in very short order.

http://elcansightingsystems.com/Specter_Family_of_Sights/Combat_Sights/SpecterOS4x.php

SpecterOS4x.jpg

Nice work. I have seen another, but the guy just glued a Docter to the clone SpecterDR. Which RDS did you use, and did everything line up?

Yeah, I think I saw his as well. The bad thing about that is, you can't change the battery when the Docter is glued to the sight...LOL.

No clue on the brand of Docter sight as I just had it lying around. Both sights (RDS and SpecterDR) had to be modified fairly severly in order to the get everything to fit rock solid and line up properly, as well as zero properly.

Doesn't US$197 seem a bit high for an ACM optic? Most of the magnified ACM optics I've come across weren't that great. They usually had major lens alignment and eye relief issues. Especially when a Millett 1-4x24 costs the same amount and the Barska 1.5-4.5x20 is about half the price. I could see the average contemporary airsoft consumer willing to pay $100-120 for the ACM Elcan Spectre Dr replica with zero warranty. But $200 seems to be a bit on the high end. Unless the optic is as good as the real deal I checked out recently ... if that were the case, I can understand the asking price.

I had considered one of those 'short dot' styled scopes for a while actually but I think they just look a touch too big on a 10.5" rifle for my liking hence wanting to give this a go. I know it is quite expensive but I should imagine it's a fairly difficult mechanism to clone.

Regarding optical quality, well I guess that's a bit of a gamble. I used to have a real SUSAT and the STAR wasn't even close in optical quality but that's life. As far as I know no one else makes these and the real one wasn't released as a civi optic so I guess they have free reign to charge what they like. I'll pick one up and if it's not to my spec I'll just sell it on.

Based on the beginning of this thread though, I should imagine there will be a pre-release review coming?

The ACM 4x unit was more like $130-150 and IMHO it's very poorly made (mine just arrived from RSOV). Deep pits in the metal, glue all over the place, stripped locking screws, and the finish has rubbed off the corners just from moving around the box it shipped in. No wonder that the manufacturer left no clue as to who made it. (I still like it though.)

The Element version has it's own flaws judging by the photos, but I'm willing to bet that the fit-and-finish will be a lot better since it's a "name brand'. If it works as well as it looks in the video I think it will sell well at $200.

Prediction: in a month or three we'll see a RDS-only version for under $100. That should fill out the market nicely.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any further news as to when this will go on sale at Ebaybanned? Its at least now in their catelog pages, albeit without a price list or "Add to Cart" button.

Also, they don't seem to be responding to questions on whether they'll offer it in black as well.

• 3 weeks later...

frog is that one supposed to be the same one ebb is coming out with? a few things caught my eye, the optic diameter is like it should be (no spacer between optic housing and the glass, sorry I don't know the technical terms lol, enlighten me if you'd like :D ), there are mount holes for the Doctor sight mount, and the ARMS levers are correct and not 'upside down'

if its not, then that makes me happy that another company is taking a shot at it, and looks like a good job so far, I just hope it doesn't have the price tag that the waridiot one has.

do you have any more info on that one you linked?

No more info :(, but yzh is the primary distributor that EBB buys it's stuff from, same as most of the other chinese companies. I've been told two things about them, you can't make an order unless it's bulk (like a typical distributor) and that you need to be careful when you do as english is a bit of a barrier.

I'd hope so, but if not, I think i'd honestly be completely fine with that one as is, since it seems to be one of the most realistic replicas aside from the waridiot one (not knowing if the reticules are accurately replicated or not yet though)

• 4 weeks later...

I briefly handled a working 1-4x replica scope at an event this past weekend. Didn't get too many details from the owner but he did say it was an early sample and mentioned Ebaybanned.

The color seemed quite dark, but without an original I can't say if it's close to correct. The markings and finish were of higher quality than my 4x only version. Eye relief was poor--roughly one inch, or about half of the 4x version. I switched it to 1x mode, and the eye relief was similar. Sorry I couldn't be more thorough, but I will say that I'll buy it if the price is right. On that note I asked what the retail would be and the reply was "About $130".

• 1 month later...

Archived