When rednecks get tacticool.

ED-SKaR

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Magpul'ed Banjo or Multicam Camo Pickup truck

I want to see a moonshine jug with some RIS on it, with maybe a Kydex tobacco pouch.

I was thinking of a 'sister that runs faster than her brothers' joke but decided that was too far for this forum :P

'FireKnife'

... rednecks drink coffee ???!?

I thought they just had incest relations, made illegal alcohol, thought Harley's were epic, were all a bit rascist, had guns, listened to country and western and lived in trailers. :P

Actually now we have to call them 'Country and Western Listener' as Redneck is un-PC. <_<

'FireKnife'

Depends on what you consider "incest", distant female cousins count

What you get up to in your time is your on business.

But in the UK it is defined (and yes i checked) as your immediate family. So you can marry a cousin that is either blood or marriage related to you with no issue. That is why the royal family has been so inbred for the past few hundred years. Sexual relations with anyone in your immediate family (brother, sister, mother or father) is prohibited, step relatives i am not sure on.

'FireKnife'

I never check things i'm not interested in

It came up as a convo between me and some mates about 'the one hot cousin' that we all have. One asked if he could marry his and we were so out of things to do we checked. It was hilarious to ee his face when he found out he could and we all laughed at him. :P

'FireKnife'

Not with this one, its got one trigger. Re pull to get the second half ;).

Not always, the better ones are selectable, however in this case your right. Just gone right off this know, should be built on a selectable mech. Gotta have the Double Wammy!!!

I thought they just had incest relations, made illegal alcohol, thought Harley's were epic, were all a bit rascist, had guns, listened to country and western and lived in trailers. :P

Actually now we have to call them 'Country and Western Listener' as Redneck is un-PC. <_<

'FireKnife'

I don;t think "rednecks" had anything to do with prohibition, at least, no more so then any other bit of american society at that time.. I don't think its even a stereotype. Wikipedia tells me the guy that drafted the bill was from Ohio, and has a law degree, so hardly a redneck.

I recall my dad once told me a joke in Chinese, something about the only reason Americans invented the machine gun and the shotgun is because they can't aim worth **** XD.

I'm confused. This isn't the first time I've heard this sort of thing.

Where did the idea that Americans are poor marksmen come from?

(Also: The shotgun was invented before the United States existed and the American Cult of the Rifle pre-dates by about half a century, if not more, the American Cult of the Shotgun). And while the machine gun was invented by an American, it was marketed and sold en masse to Europeans. In fact, the United States didn't really have a machine gun until entry in the First World War.)

Where did the idea that Americans are poor marksmen come from?

One of those cultural stereotypes. Made famous by the sheer quantity of ammunition used by the yankish forces in action compared to the relevantly small number of kills. Two good reasons for this are 1, suppressive fire and 2, the well documented fact that most humans don't want to kill other humans leading soldiers to deliberately miss. Most modern armys use the same high quantity's of ammunition, but only the americans document it and compare rounds fired to kill ratios.

the United States didn't really have a machine gun until entry in the First World War

If by First World War you mean Spanish American War then yes (If you disregard the semi-mechanized guns before the 1880s).

(Also: The shotgun was invented before the United States existed and the American Cult of the Rifle pre-dates by about half a century, if not more, the American Cult of the Shotgun). And while the machine gun was invented by an American, it was marketed and sold en masse to Europeans. In fact, the United States didn't really have a machine gun until entry in the First World War.)

The shotgun doesn't just out date the USA. One of the first types of gunpowder weapon was a Fletchette cannon, loaded with wooden fletchettes (thats a baby arrow in english). We are talking 14C here, Shotguns have been, and always will be, a staple of firearms usage.

Didn't the Feds have hand cranked gatlers in the ACW? I'd class that as a machine gun, even if they were used as artillery.

Machine guns are self driven, Gatling guns and other weapons like pepperbox guns and coffee grinders require human input to fire the next round, beyond simply actuating the mechanism. If a Gatling Gun could be classified a machine gun, the multibarreled guns the Chinese and Koreans were using long before Europeans learned of gun powder would also have to count. However the Colt-Browning model 1895 machine gun was in service before and used in the Spanish-American War and it is a modern machine gun, no matter how unwieldy, unreliable, or poorly used it was. Roosevelt himself has commentaries written on it when it was used by Rough Riders.

Machine guns are self driven, Gatling guns and other weapons like pepperbox guns and coffee grinders require human input to fire the next round, beyond simply actuating the mechanism. If a Gatling Gun could be classified a machine gun, the multibarreled guns the Chinese and Koreans were using long before Europeans learned of gun powder would also have to count. However the Colt-Browning model 1895 machine gun was in service before and used in the Spanish-American War and it is a modern machine gun, no matter how unwieldy, unreliable, or poorly used it was. Roosevelt himself has commentaries written on it when it was used by Rough Riders.

Good points, but something like a peperbox requires manual reloading of each barrel, where the actuation of a gatling gun reloads each barrel in turn with a cartrage permitting continuous fire.

regardless a machine gun does require either a recoil or gas operated system, as you suggest.

I'm pretty sure that while the potato-digger was used by US forces in Cuba, it hadn't been formally adopted by the military, ie: they were bought by individual units, privately purchased by unit commanders, or gifted. The numbers used were so small that the US Army bought (but did not adopt) small numbers of a French machine gun when they went after Pancho Villa (and they were found to be wholly inadequete, IIRC). Hence JMB's development of the M1917 HMG after the US entered WWI.

Archived